Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images

WTB Lines, Stakes, etc...

I'm looking for a few things...Thought there might be someone out there that has upgraded to something else.

Tarp Guidelines
    Self-Tensioning Lines
    Titanium Stakes
    Carabiners
    Underquilt Suspension
    Gear Hammock

Please PM me. The idea is to find stuff cheaper than retail. I don't need someone trying to unload stuff on me for more than I can order it new.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Just throwing this out there! You can pick up a roll of Mason line pretty cheap at Home Depot that will work really well for guidelines. Coleman makes some alluminum tent Pegs that look just like the MSR and are relatively cheap. May not be the answers you were looking for but thought I'ld throw it out there for you!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I use 7" gutter spikes for tarp stakes. They are light and above all 29 cents a piece I can afford to replace them when they get bent.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    I just decided to pay retail, I'm impatient. But if anyone's got stuff they want to unload... I looked at some elastic tubing in the hardware store, and I'm not sure if you can make self-tensioning lines much cheaper than the Jacks sell their kits for.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    Tarp Guidelines
    Self-Tensioning Lines
    Titanium Stakes
    Carabiners
    Underquilt Suspension
    Gear Hammock
    1. Mason line: waaay cheap.
    2. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...arp+tensioners post #3 is what I use and they're grrreat (insert Tony the Tiger here)
    3. I tried the Groundhog knockoffs; not worth the scrap value.
    4. TrekLight has very light biners for about $7
    5. Shockcord is my favorite and fairly cheap.
    6. Get a poncho/tarp thingie. I found one somewhere that was less than $15 and worked better as a gear hammock than it did as a poncho or tarp.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    1. Mason line: waaay cheap.
    and waaay prone to tangle into a mess that is especially hard to undo if it is wet, and your hands are cold. I like the cord Speer sells, similar cord that GoLite sells which has reflective bits in it, and Triptease. I'm experimenting with LashIt, which is lighter, stronger, and steathier. This seems to work best for me when I use a clove hitch to attach cord to stake; the stuff is pretty slippery and getting a taut line to hold has been for me a hit and miss affair.

2. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...arp+tensioners post #3 is what I use and they're grrreat (insert Tony the Tiger here)
    Glad you pulled that post out. I've been using this technique now too and agree it's the Tiger's PJs.

3. I tried the Groundhog knockoffs; not worth the scrap value.
    I dunno about the knockoffs, but I'm a big fan of the Groundhogs. I've got some Titanium nails too but they're harder to use.
    4. TrekLight has very light biners for about $7
    $8 gets you a Camp nanowire biner that weighs 23 grams and is rated to weights you'll never see camping.
    5. Shockcord is my favorite and fairly cheap.
    Ditto. Whenever I buy shockcord I get a lot of it, it's a favorite DIY material to have around.
    6. Get a poncho/tarp thingie. I found one somewhere that was less than $15 and worked better as a gear hammock than it did as a poncho or tarp.
    So I need to do something other than my current practice of making a pile of stuff under my hammock. Looks to me like a gear hammock will move the pile into the air. Now 2Questions had a cool organizer he made I saw at MAHHA last spring, lemme see, here it is. Having pockets to separate stuff makes a lot of sense to me, because I'm always pawing through my bags trying to find something I can't see. Something like that is on my projects list.

btw Cannibal, welcome back. Whereabouts in CO are you?

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    and waaay prone to tangle into a mess that is especially hard to undo if it is wet, and your hands are cold.

btw Cannibal, welcome back. Whereabouts in CO are you?

Grizz
    You know, I never had any problems with the mason line tangling. I did however, spend about 20 minutes at Hot Springs trying to untangle the Speer stuff. Credit where it's due: Nest (Cerberus at the time) showed me a little trick that HC4U taught him for wrapping the line; worked great! Mason line DID tend to pick-up little twigs and form some darn fancy knots where the Speer stuff wasn't as prone to that kind of nonsense.

Parked at my Pop's place in Denver for the time being. NO FUN LIVING AT HOME at age 38, but it's cheap! Actively searching for a new abode, but having a hard time finding a place to rent with a bedroom at least 14' long. Gotta hang!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    You know, I never had any problems with the mason line tangling. I did however, spend about 20 minutes at Hot Springs trying to untangle the Speer stuff. Credit where it's due: Nest (Cerberus at the time) showed me a little trick that HC4U taught him for wrapping the line; worked great! Mason line DID tend to pick-up little twigs and form some darn fancy knots where the Speer stuff wasn't as prone to that kind of nonsense.

Parked at my Pop's place in Denver for the time being. NO FUN LIVING AT HOME at age 38, but it's cheap! Actively searching for a new abode, but having a hard time finding a place to rent with a bedroom at least 14' long. Gotta hang!
    I know the wrapping trick, HC4U taught it to me at the same hang as Cerberus picked it up. Those fancy knots the Mason line gets are killers.

Good luck with the home search and (I presume) the search for gainful if not highly remunerative employment.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Got a job as a consultant with my father's firm, but he says I gotta shave my beard. What to do, what to do?

A note on #3: The knockoff Groundhogs bent the first time they hit a pebble. My MSR Groundhogs are still straight, even after PA. The MSR stakes are all I'll carry until something better comes along.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Actively searching for a new abode, but having a hard time finding a place to rent with a bedroom at least 14' long. Gotta hang!
    Diagonal on the floor plan.... corner to corner. Get the most out of your room<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts