Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

A swamp at 3400 feet and 8 hours of pouring rain

My son and his closest friend went backpacking in the Adirondacks from Sunday to Tuesday. We had to stay at a designated backcountry campsite because we were camping above 3000 feet.

It had a nice open air privy set on high dry ground, but the rest of the open areas designated for tent sites were mud bowls from the afternoon thunderstorms that have been in the area for the past 2 months.

We didn’t get hit by rain until Monday night when an 8 hour deluge started. There was also some interesting sky lightening and fantastic thunder rumbling through the peaks and valleys.

It turned the already muddy campsite into a pond. We did have to contend with the mud and water when we got up but we were completely dry while sleeping, although my son’s friend did get a little dampness in the foot end of his hammock from water splashing off a nearby tree branch.

Everyone who saw our high and dry set up asked about the hammocks and where they could purchase them. If I had a case of Clarks or Claytors I could have sold them all.

Here are the some pics. My Claytor has the homemade gear “Just Jeff” bag hanging under it. It worked so well I’m no longer jealous of my son’s Clark.

You might remember from an earlier post that I had replaced the claytor straps with one foot looped straps from strapworks, then used ring buckles to atttach to the trees with 12-foot double looped straps from strapworks (I actually only need one of the loops on the 12-foot straps but with 2 loops I don't have to search for the right end to wrap around the tree.)

The ring buclkes stayed under the tarp and prevented water from running down into the hammock. But to be safe I also tied drip ropes between the hammocjk and the ring buckles. worked great.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

...(I actually only need one of the loops on the 12-foot straps but with 2 loops I don't have to search for the right end to wrap around the tree.)
    i don't know if this idea had been mentioned before by someone else but i think its great!!! i read it and ran staight to the sewing machine.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I leave my biners looped. Hard to miss that clumpy thing.. Nice pic. I like the patterned tarp... is that the Funky Forest Tarp? Don't think I've seen one like it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I leave my biners looped. Hard to miss that clumpy thing.. Nice pic. I like the patterned tarp... is that the Funky Forest Tarp? Don't think I've seen one like it.
    It is the standard issue claytor tarp

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

great pics and reportneo

claytor hammocks rock
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I can't wrap my little brain around the 2 loop thing. The ring buckles don't work both of the ends of the strap equally. If it did, you would be unable to adjust it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbwtt View Post
    I can't wrap my little brain around the 2 loop thing. The ring buckles don't work both of the ends of the strap equally. If it did, you would be unable to adjust it.
    I wrap the 12-foot strap around a tree once or twice and then pass the end through the end with the loop and pull it tight against the tree.

If both ends of the 12-foot webbing didn't have loops then I would have to check which end I was wrapping around the tree becuse the end against the tree needs to have a loop in it. with loops in both ends I don't need to check which end I'm wrapping around the tree because there will always be a loop in the end that needs to have a loop.

What type rope are you using to go from the hammock to the ring buckles? Did you leave the stock rope that came with the Claytor and add to that or what?

John

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I didn't realize you were threading the rings every time you hang the hammock. Do you not want the bulk of carabiners? Much easier.

Images
    I removed the claytor green webbing. I replaced it with a 1-foot section of polyester strap with loops on each end from strapworks.

I "looped" the loops in the 1-foot straps over two rings. this means the ring buckles are very close to the hammock.

To hang the hammock I wrap a 12-foot poleyster strap (also obtained from strapworks) around a tree, pass the long end through a loop in the short end, and then thread the long end throught the ring buckles. I do the same for the other side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast