Tarp
    DIY 10'X8'
    Insulation
    Pad/over quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Webbing
    Images

Hiking and camping spots in Md

Im looking for some sweet spots in Maryland to go for my first solo hike and hang. Im looking for a nice trail (some trail maps would help) and a few cool camp spots that I can make a fire without a park ranger up my butt!!!
    Any info will help....

Thanks
    BigDan

Images
    WHERE THE FALL MAHHA WAS

SITE
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Images
    The AT has easy access in MD. You must camp at the shelters, and there are fire rings there so you are covered in the respect.

The Tuscarora Trail is another nice option. You can get maps for the AT and Tuscarora from Potomac Appalachain Trail Clubs website. www.patc.net

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY 10'X8'
    Insulation
    Pad/over quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Webbing
    Images
    I am trying to be at the 2012 fall MAHHA in Oct... I was just looking for thoes sweet scenic spots to check out.
    Thanks Joey I will have to check that trail out.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I just hiked the AT through Maryland about 3 weekends ago. It's just as you described. You are restricted to camping at shelters or designated campsites, but that's no real problem. All have fire rings.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Eno ProNest
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Ridgerest/ Bag
    Suspension
    Custom Straps
    Images
    Catoctin State Park in Thurmont MD might be an option. Moderate day hikes all over the park and then camp at Owens Creek campground. Not backcountry at all. Dense Trees everywhere and rangers are VERY casual.

You could hike the C & O canal. Long and straight and tons of solitude in the Fall. There are small campgrounds all along it. Mega wildlife (birds, fox, snakes, etc.)
    "City Life is the scary life, inane, tiny and alone. Learn wilderness and you don't fear anything." - Terry Russell.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
    Im looking for some sweet spots in Maryland to go for my first solo hike and hang. Im looking for a nice trail (some trail maps would help) and a few cool camp spots that I can make a fire without a park ranger up my butt!!!
    Any info will help....

Thanks
    BigDan
    Most of what's in MD is "site" camping. You didn't say how far you were looking to go.

The MD AT maps cover the AT in MD, it's a nice hike, depending on how far you want to go I could give you better recommendations. Commercial (st park) campgrounds I'd recommend Rocky Gap, as it's got the beach and all and you can hike up the mtn and through the gorge. As someone mentioned, the Canal is nice, flat, and with Hiker/Biker sites spaced out. Some are difficult to find a hang place in without being in poison ivy, be warned. Savage River Reservoir area, New Germany, that area out west has some nice areas, maps are lacking unless you go with USGS quads or Nat Geo TOPO.

Two other main trails are the Tuscarora, which the PATC sells maps for but I can't personally speak to, and there's the Catoctin Trail running from Gambrill up to the Thurmont area (Catoctin park, someone else mentioned). That one I know more about, it's a nice trail, lots of overlooks, not as travelled as others when you get out of Gambrill park, other than occasional mt bikers. You'd have to stealth camp if you lay up less than the Cunningham Falls campground which is about 20 mi out. I will neither confirm nor deny that there are plenty of opportunities to do so....

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchego View Post
    Most of what's in MD is "site" camping. You didn't say how far you were looking to go.

The MD AT maps cover the AT in MD, it's a nice hike, depending on how far you want to go I could give you better recommendations. Commercial (st park) campgrounds I'd recommend Rocky Gap, as it's got the beach and all and you can hike up the mtn and through the gorge. As someone mentioned, the Canal is nice, flat, and with Hiker/Biker sites spaced out. Some are difficult to find a hang place in without being in poison ivy, be warned. Savage River Reservoir area, New Germany, that area out west has some nice areas, maps are lacking unless you go with USGS quads or Nat Geo TOPO.

Two other main trails are the Tuscarora, which the PATC sells maps for but I can't personally speak to, and there's the Catoctin Trail running from Gambrill up to the Thurmont area (Catoctin park, someone else mentioned). That one I know more about, it's a nice trail, lots of overlooks, not as travelled as others when you get out of Gambrill park, other than occasional mt bikers. You'd have to stealth camp if you lay up less than the Cunningham Falls campground which is about 20 mi out. I will neither confirm nor deny that there are plenty of opportunities to do so....
    I've always been interested in that Catoctin trail... You said it has good overlooks?
    Zach Rohe Photography https://zachrohe.com

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post
    I've always been interested in that Catoctin trail... You said it has good overlooks?
    In the northern section you go up by Cat Knob, yes there. Southern section is more a walk in the woods. "Northern" is north of Cunningham Falls St Park.

You could also do a section of the yellow blazed trail in gambrill, couple nice overlooks, and pick up the Catoctin at the north side of the park.

• + New Posts