Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here we go!!

I was trying out a new hammock with integrated bug screen once and I climbed in, zipped up the bug screen, laid back and immediately flipped upside down. The pressure on the bugnet would not allow the zippers to work. Once I stopped panicking, I realized I could get my feet under me and on the ground enough to relieve the pressure and get it unzipped and free. I should have had a knife with me to cut my way out of that one. I still have that hammock, but won't ever use it again.

John

"note to self"...have knife handy!!! I will make sure I do that..ya never know..will put a small penknife in the storage bag...just in case..thanks for the idea....Rob

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Here's a thought I shared a while back. Adding a straps (one each side) that are attached on the foot end of the hammock & hanging with in reach through a loops on the side of the hammock could be a big help in sitting up.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I never felt like the travel hammocks were going to tip me over. In part cause there was too much sag. Here's a quick and dirty way to figure out where to hang your straps... edited and condensed by me cause Grizz and rest of the engineers went way over my head.... You want the suspension ropes to meet the hammock at roughly a 30 degree angle to where the ridgeline would be.. So choose the span in such a way as to allow yourself to reach high enuf to make that happen but low enuf that you can get into the hammock easily.

Then you might want to think about installing a ridgeline to hellp you keep that sag in the hammock body as you move from one set of supports to another. With that sag you should not need to fear tipping over.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 08-20-2008 at 21:39. Reason: forgot a very critical word....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks for the strap idea and the hanging angle...Looks like I am going to have a good time this weekend...bet by Saturday morn I will have a bunch of thinks to consider and a few ideas of my own...hopefully will get things pretty well straightened out by the following weekend...gonna load up my boat..head to a secluded lake and camp out on a point I have admired while fishing as a perfect place to camp...about 3 miles down the lake, do some fishin, catch a couple eatin size bass...and not have to worry bout ole arther makin it hard to get off the ground in the morn ...Been wanting to do this for a while and now it looks possible...Will take pictures and post....Rob

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Rob, something that I have found on one of my Travel Hammocks is that if I pull the ends too tight the sides catch behind my knees while my butt stays very low. This makes it almost impossible to get out! You may try starting out with a little too much sag first & decrease it untill you find your sweet spot. Good luck & enjoy.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Thanks jeffjen, will start out with a lot of sag and work my way up...and the good advice just keeps pouring in...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I will be hiking solo more in the near future, and am seriously considering getting a beacon. Cell coverage is terrible in the mountains around here. I read Aaron Ralston's book a while back, Between A Rock And A Hard Place . He's the guy that cut his own arm off after 6 days of being trapped in Blue John Canyon. It made me realize how quickly I could be in trouble and not have anyone to help. I am not recommending the beacon just to those with mobility issues, but to all soloists. I imagine they cost a pretty penny, but I'm going to look into it. Aaron Ralston still solo climbs, even with a prosthetic arm, but now he uses a beacon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12