Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Mayan #6
    Insulation
    None
    Suspension
    10 mm nylon ropes

Hello from Denmark

I am completely new to hammocks. Woke up from my third nights sleep in one this morning. The background is a little annoying, as my girlfriend and I decided to split after 18 years. No chance of getting the house sold in the near future, but we have an annex suitable for living in, and this is where I sleep now.

I always wanted to try sleeping full time in a hammock, as I often suffer from lower back pain when waking up in the morning, and decided that this would be a great time to start hanging. Bought the Parachute Silk Double hammock from handmadehammocks.co.uk.

I used it for daytime naps a couple of days, to get used to get in and out of it, and to adjust the ropes. The first night was bad. I did not sleep more than one hour that whole night, and felt very restricted. But I noticed that my body felt great when I got up in the early morning. No stiffness in my lower back.

The second night was better, with several hours sleep, and still that great feeling in my body when I got up. Did some more adjustments yesterday, and had a great third night. Woke early again, but after many hours sleep, and did not feel tired.

It does take some tries to find the right angle, and I seem to be sliding down towards the foot end during the night, so I still have adjustments to do, and need to experiment more with angle and position, but it works OK for now.

Clearly going from bed to hammock requires some adjustment time, but the feeling of complete relaxation I have every time I get out of my hammock has convinced me that this is the right choice.

Best regards

/Andy

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome Andy to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    down to 4 :(
    Tarp
    Size matters, lol
    Welcome Andy!!

Great first post! Congratulations on all points!! It's your time to live the dream!!! (and find a friendly means of emotional support)

My opinion: Western Women are rarely worth the hassle, while hammocks usually are.

fyi, my status: Finally divorced after 33 years of Duplicity, Neglect (best case), and emotional Abuse (std practice)
    Last edited by flailer; 06-07-2012 at 12:27.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    down to 4 :(
    Tarp
    Size matters, lol
    I wish I would have had this kind of information when I first split up with my ex.

- youtube, Women Can't Hear What Men Don't Say: http://youtu.be/uVhAMMN9lCY
    - youtube, The Disposable Man: http://youtu.be/vp8tToFv-bA
    - Excellent Concept: http://avillageformen.net/
    - MGTOW: http://mengoingtheirownway.com/
    - Coalition for Men: http://ncfm.org/
    - Fact filled Harry: http://www.angryharry.com/
    - 5 stages play list: Five Stages
    - youtube, The Disposable Man: http://youtu.be/vp8tToFv-bA
    - youtube, Myths: http://youtu.be/0R2vdEsteTQ
    - youtube, Misandry - Men Don't Exist: http://youtu.be/6ZAuqkqxk9A
    - youtube, Briffault's Law: The Most Important Thing You Can Know As A Man... LINK

Taking care of yourself is NOT selfish - It is what a smart person would do !!!

My best to anyone and EVERYONE suffering from spousal issues - Keep the faith, regain your power !!!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Images
    About 160 years ago, my mother's side of the family sailed from Ribe, Denmark and settled in South Dakota. I hope to visit Ribe one day soon--the country is so beautiful!

So hello from Virginia!! I am so proud I inherited those Scandinavian values from my mother's side!!

Hammock
    Mayan #6
    Insulation
    None
    Suspension
    10 mm nylon ropes
    Quote Originally Posted by flailer View Post
    I wish I would have had this kind of information when I first split up with my ex.
    Thanks flailer,

Even though it was she who took the first step, I might as well had been me, and we both agree that this is the right thing to do. I am much more concerned with that fact that it will be several years before we can sell the house without financial loss. But life has taught me that sometimes solutions appear out of nowhere, and especially if you have several years to wait. I am hoping for the best.

I see this as an opportunity to try a few things that can be difficult to integrate into a relationship, and using a hammock as bed is one of them.

/Andy

Hammock
    Mayan #6
    Insulation
    None
    Suspension
    10 mm nylon ropes
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortTripHome View Post
    About 160 years ago, my mother's side of the family sailed from Ribe, Denmark and settled in South Dakota. I hope to visit Ribe one day soon--the country is so beautiful!

So hello from Virginia!! I am so proud I inherited those Scandinavian values from my mother's side!!
    Thank you ShortTripHome, and thanks to all who welcomed me.

Ribe is one of the most beautiful cities in Denmark, and with a very interesting history. If you get the chance to visit, please make sure that you also take a trip to the surrounding countryside, as this is a very special place, both in terms of nature and history.

/Andy

Hammock
    Woodsman X Dbl - UKHammocks
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 10x10
    Insulation
    UQ/TQ UKhammocks
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    And a hello and welcome from a fellow Copenhagener (is that even a word?)

I am sorry for your reason to get hanging, but it is great to hear that you have found a new good lay

I hope that things turn out for the best.

I just started with hammocks myself but I only use it in the woods for now

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag, pad
    Suspension
    webbing

Hello from Victoria!

Quote Originally Posted by Waspandy View Post
    I am completely new to hammocks. Woke up from my third nights sleep in one this morning. The background is a little annoying, as my girlfriend and I decided to split after 18 years. No chance of getting the house sold in the near future, but we have an annex suitable for living in, and this is where I sleep now.

I always wanted to try sleeping full time in a hammock, as I often suffer from lower back pain when waking up in the morning, and decided that this would be a great time to start hanging. Bought the Parachute Silk Double hammock from handmadehammocks.co.uk.

I used it for daytime naps a couple of days, to get used to get in and out of it, and to adjust the ropes. The first night was bad. I did not sleep more than one hour that whole night, and felt very restricted. But I noticed that my body felt great when I got up in the early morning. No stiffness in my lower back.

The second night was better, with several hours sleep, and still that great feeling in my body when I got up. Did some more adjustments yesterday, and had a great third night. Woke early again, but after many hours sleep, and did not feel tired.

It does take some tries to find the right angle, and I seem to be sliding down towards the foot end during the night, so I still have adjustments to do, and need to experiment more with angle and position, but it works OK for now.

Clearly going from bed to hammock requires some adjustment time, but the feeling of complete relaxation I have every time I get out of my hammock has convinced me that this is the right choice.

Best regards

/Andy
    Hello Waspandy,
    I'm on the west coast of Canada, and welcome to the forums. I appreciate what you've written about your hanging experiences. So far I've only been able to nap in my WBBB but nonetheless find the hammock extremely comfortable and relaxing. I'll keep looking for the right set up then a full night's sleep. There is indeed some adjustment time going from the bed to the hammock!

I'm sorry to hear about your split with your girlfriend...

Coffeedrinker
    “Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.”
    ― A.A. Milne

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast