Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images

Remove velcro slit on HH or not for comfort?

Hi! Hammock hangers, I'm a newbie on HF and Love this site! Thanks to all! I'm going to have Zipper Queen or 2Q to put a zipper on my HH. I was wondering if I have the Velcro removed and sewed up on the bottom entry would it take that tight ridge out where to Velcro is. It seems to bother my knees. I know they say it's softer, but does it lay flatter and take the ridge out? Thanks for your Help! TG

I didn't find that it helped any. I am thinking about cutting out the velcro completely and resewng that area back together and see if it helps.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

Yes, removing the velcro will help some, but won't remove the ridge entirely, as it is due to the shape of the hammock. Putting something under your knees while in the hammock is a good solution, though. A clothing filled stuff sack is a good knee pillow.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    Thanks, This HF is a Great place! If I sew up my slit I will lose a option to get in my HH when its raining down hard! TG

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you don't do the zipper mod and you sew up the slit you will lose the option of getting in at all. If you do the zipper mod you get in under the tarp like you would any top loader.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Just received my hammock from 2Q/ZQ, with a new #2 Mod Bugnet Zipper. I asked them to remove the velcro. It may not make much difference, but it seemed silly to leave the velcro when the opening is sewn shut. Now it looks as though there never was an opening at all! Great work by ZQ!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Last night, as has happened more than once before, I was kind of missing that bottom entry. Since my tarp was a solid layer of ice, without hanging my tarp really high and or wide in the cold wind, it was very difficult not to scrap against the ice when getting in or out of the hammock ( top loader). Which got my clothing wet from frost plus caused it to "snow' down into my hammock and insulation. Fortunately, I was only getting in or out twice during the entire night including the first entry, but I really had to be careful and was not always completely successful.

Top loaders certainly have their advantages, but getting in dry with a tight storm pitch and lots of condensation has always been easier for me with the bottom entry.

I find that center ridge caused leg pressure, a factor- large or small- for me in all gathered end hammocks, is lessened in the HH if I don't seal the Velcro, and just let it be open by an inch or two.

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I think I will keep my velcro opening. Getting wet from rubbing against the tarp don't sound good. From 4:30 to 5:30 A.M is my morning leak time, getting out of my hammock needs to be painless and wet free! I will try to leave a open gap in the velcro for comfort like BillyBob 58 said ! Thanks to all!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    BillyBob- you get that much condensation on the inside of your tarp, enough to cause indoor snow? Is it condensation or pass thru moisture when you brush it? I've never had that kind of experience, even with sil.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    BillyBob- you get that much condensation on the inside of your tarp, enough to cause indoor snow? Is it condensation or pass thru moisture when you brush it? I've never had that kind of experience, even with sil.
    It is definitely condensation. Nothing but clear skies last night, and cloudy but no rain all day. And before I ever accidentally brush it, I can look and see a solid layer of ice, which I am trying to stay away from. It may be worsened by the almost always damp ground I am pitched over- a mud bog if it has rained any. I can't say I have had that situation- yet- on my trips to the woods. But it has happened a lot in my backyard. And the moisture is not coming from me, because the condensation happens when I am not there. It will be moisture if it is above freezing, and a hard frost on both sides of the tarp if below freezing. When I go back out to go to bed, there it is. It might be if, like when I am hiking, I hung the hammock and tarp and go to bed shortly afterwords, this would not happen. Maybe my rising body heat would have a positive effect.

This does not always happen. Sometimes in a deluge, the underside of my tarp is dry. Sometimes I go out in the morning when the weather is clear, and the underside of the tarp is soaked. It is some mysterious ground moisture/humidity/temp demon, I have no clue. But it is a frequent happening.

So, you have never had heavy condensation on the inside of your tarp? ( BTW, it happens even with the tarp pitched wide).

Also, with this JRB tarp, I have not yet ever noticed any misting, evem when testing with a garden hose turned up high, or any deluge. Condensation, that I have plenty of. With any tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast