Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Jeff

Hey Jeff

I'm one of the 4 guys you met at Mt. Rogers at Wise Shelter. We were hiking out after that bout with the winds the previous night. I'm the former Ranger. I was very impressed with the gear you all had. Especially after the previous night with those high winds and our tents threatening to carry us all to OZ.

I've looked at the different brands of hammocks on the pages here. Maybe you and the other experienced hammock campers could lend some of your experience and insight. Thanks.

Bill Rauscher
    Orlando, FL

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sure - everyone here is very willing to help. Do you have any specific questions?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    good to hear from you.
    probably most hammocks are open top, so they are referred to as top entry or speer type.
    that's the type i prefer because i can see clearly the views around me & i can reach my gear... even heat water from my hammock.
    others like being inside a henesy hammock (HH) or a tom claytor type.
    they all have their pros & cons. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I love my Hennessy Hammock, but they can be a little pricy (I don't know what your budget is). You can always try to find a used one somewhere. I think the Hennessy site has some clearance models also.

You could also try to find some ripstop fabric in the $1 bin at WalMart and make your first one. They are pretty easy to make, even if you have not sewn before. Check out Jeff's site for a great tutorial on making your own hammock

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Study this site and ask questions. The learning curve is steeper than ground dwelling but well worth it I promise. Also check out Whiteblaze.net for some great archival hammock info.

Welcome to the forum.

www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Don't forget to take a glance at the Articles section for a glossary, acronyms and abbre., and the manufactures page with models and specs. Great resource for those new to hammocking.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    The learning curve is steeper than ground dwelling but well worth it I promise.
    Y'know, I was thinking about that on the Rogers trip. I think the curve SEEMS steeper, but is it really? My conclusion is that ground-dwelling seems easier because most hikers are just USED to it. That, and tent manufacturers have taken all the DIY fun out of it - ground-pounders don't have to worry about engineering issues. Tarps, on the other hand, can actually have a steeper curve than hammocks I think. Some tarps are a PAIN to learn to use properly.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Y'know, I was thinking about that on the Rogers trip. I think the curve SEEMS steeper, but is it really? My conclusion is that ground-dwelling seems easier because most hikers are just USED to it. That, and tent manufacturers have taken all the DIY fun out of it - ground-pounders don't have to worry about engineering issues. Tarps, on the other hand, can actually have a steeper curve than hammocks I think. Some tarps are a PAIN to learn to use properly.
    Agree and add...

Most have forgotten the many aches and pains we learned along the way as prior ground dwellers before we learned and got better back in the dark ages.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most of the "aches and pains" we learned from ground dwelling weren't really aches and pains because we were kids...sleeping on roots isn't a big deal when you're 8. Picking up bits and pieces along the way makes it seem like there wasn't a steep learning curve, but it was there.

And if folks already know how to be "comfortable" in the woods doing things the old way, it may seem useless to figure out all this newfangled off-the-ground stuff. But once you figure it out, you'll understand why I put "comfortable" in quotes!

Besides, it's really simple to stay warm in a hammock. We just make it more difficult than it needs to be b/c we're gearheads.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Sure - everyone here is very willing to help. Do you have any specific questions?
    Well, so far I've looked at the Clark hammocks and they seem pretty comfortable. I'm really not concerned about price. More about weight and comfort. I'm an A.T. section hiker, having completed GA, NC, TN and now onward into VA. I've only slept in shelters, (ugh) and my one-man tent. After seeing those great hammocks at Mt. Rogers, I was a convert. They just LOOKED comfortable. I know everyone has their favorites. I suppose I'm looking for input on why your favorites are your favorites. That will help me make my decision. I love to hike in cold weather. This seems like the answer I've been looking for. Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast