Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Jeff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Jeff

I'm one of the 4 guys you met at Mt. Rogers at Wise Shelter. We were hiking out after that bout with the winds the previous night. I'm the former Ranger. I was very impressed with the gear you all had. Especially after the previous night with those high winds and our tents threatening to carry us all to OZ.

I've looked at the different brands of hammocks on the pages here. Maybe you and the other experienced hammock campers could lend some of your experience and insight. Thanks.

Bill Rauscher
    Orlando, FL

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sure - everyone here is very willing to help. Do you have any specific questions?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    good to hear from you.
    probably most hammocks are open top, so they are referred to as top entry or speer type.
    that's the type i prefer because i can see clearly the views around me & i can reach my gear... even heat water from my hammock.
    others like being inside a henesy hammock (HH) or a tom claytor type.
    they all have their pros & cons. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Sure - everyone here is very willing to help. Do you have any specific questions?
    Well, so far I've looked at the Clark hammocks and they seem pretty comfortable. I'm really not concerned about price. More about weight and comfort. I'm an A.T. section hiker, having completed GA, NC, TN and now onward into VA. I've only slept in shelters, (ugh) and my one-man tent. After seeing those great hammocks at Mt. Rogers, I was a convert. They just LOOKED comfortable. I know everyone has their favorites. I suppose I'm looking for input on why your favorites are your favorites. That will help me make my decision. I love to hike in cold weather. This seems like the answer I've been looking for. Thanks

Images
    Silverstar - I know that there are some members on this site from Florida that could maybe give you some hands on type experience with their equipment. If you are near NC, drop me a line and youre more than welcome to try my Hennessey to see if its for you. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    Somebody should point you toward Ed Speer's book.

It's over here --->Hammock Camping

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seuss View Post
    Somebody should point you toward Ed Speer's book.

It's over here --->Hammock Camping
    yep... i'll second that book. full of good info, not only about the hammocks themselfs, but about using them.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Well, so far I've looked at the Clark hammocks and they seem pretty comfortable. I'm really not concerned about price. More about weight and comfort. I'm an A.T. section hiker, having completed GA, NC, TN and now onward into VA. I've only slept in shelters, (ugh) and my one-man tent. After seeing those great hammocks at Mt. Rogers, I was a convert. They just LOOKED comfortable. I know everyone has their favorites. I suppose I'm looking for input on why your favorites are your favorites. That will help me make my decision. I love to hike in cold weather. This seems like the answer I've been looking for. Thanks
    Silverstar,

Living in FL, I've found hammocks a great alternative to tarp camping (Florida critter protection while lighter than a tent). But the comfort, above all else is what has made the difference for me.

When it's cold, good bottom insulation ( I use the JRB Nest) is a necessity.

To answer your specific inquiry, I've found the HH great for me, although making my own and adding netting sounds fun. The light weight, integrated bug protection, and quality construction make HH my choice.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhiker View Post
    Silverstar,

Living in FL, I've found hammocks a great alternative to tarp camping (Florida critter protection while lighter than a tent). But the comfort, above all else is what has made the difference for me.

When it's cold, good bottom insulation ( I use the JRB Nest) is a necessity.

To answer your specific inquiry, I've found the HH great for me, although making my own and adding netting sounds fun. The light weight, integrated bug protection, and quality construction make HH my choice.

I like my DIY hammock setup, but for an all in one system with bugnetting I think the HH are hard to beat. If he would make a removeable bugnet, different suspension system, and a tarp system that did not attach to the hammock but to the trees and be a little larger stock than I really would like it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I love my Hennessy Hammock, but they can be a little pricy (I don't know what your budget is). You can always try to find a used one somewhere. I think the Hennessy site has some clearance models also.

You could also try to find some ripstop fabric in the $1 bin at WalMart and make your first one. They are pretty easy to make, even if you have not sewn before. Check out Jeff's site for a great tutorial on making your own hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast