Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I need to get some more rings for a ring buckle setup. I pulled some webbing through thd channel for the suspension arc and fastened rings to the ends.the arc is not going anywhere. But it will be that much more comfortable on my legs when I get out of the bridge style.

I finished the BEEP with a #5 two-way zipper. It is heavy but weight is not a primary concern for me atm. But it will certainly stablize the slit and I only plan on using it when I get out of the gathered mode, if need be. I won't be able to hang it until tomorrow at the earliest cause I need more rings and I have to finish the bridge suspension harness.

I'll let you know..
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    i had read that someone (probably you Ramblinrev) had plans of doing the BEEP... didn't think it would be done so fast. i was waiting anxioously this moment. Congrats...
    Viva the bottom entry!
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    hehe... I got an S-hook upside down and figured... eh it'll be ok... It wasn't. The tension let go on the gathered mode and I dropped a fair bit. Nothing dangerous or painful but enuf that I was not going to be able to get out if it hadn't been for... drum roll please...... the BEEP. It solves several problems that I had with the DMB. I may actually use the beastie in the field. I am thinking of bringing it down to MAHHA if people want to see it close up. The mod itself is very simple. Undo the whipping, slit the fabric and stabilize it. The whole thing would be easier to do if you did it from the start. The only thing that becomes an issue is the placement of the BEEP. I _thought_ I had it right where I wanted it but I inadvertently blocked the pad slot for the double body. Oh well... I think I'll open up a seam somewhere and move the pad slot. I really want to be able to use that. The more I use it and get used to it, the more I think it is a worthwhile mod to make for those who have mobility issues that speak in favor of a bottom entrance but who don't want to go HH for some reason or are so plugged into DIY that they wouldn't consider a commercial hammock one way or the other. Again... I'd be happy to answer any questions about it.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Added pics.

The webbing and rings will make a softer and more comfortable edging for the hammock body. The way I was having to get out the rope was very harsh and cutting.

This is a rough installation of the zipper. It has since been neatened up some and locked off differently but in bridge mode the BEEP stays nicely closed.

Down at the end, past the jungle socks, crew socks and red slippers you can see the zipper is remaining closed. The gathered end of the hammock is supported with minimum tension. I don't know that I would pitch this hammock with the ends floppy loose. I haven't tried that since I added the zipper so I don't know what the result would be. I may find out another day.

I used a zipper for two basic reasons. First is I had it. I have quite a bit of recycled zipper tape from tents and stuff I have salvaged. So the cost is minimal and that is good. Second, I only need this portal in gathered mode. I expect the zipper will hold closed better in the bridge mode than velcro would. So in order to prevent unwanted and surprise openings either to my detriment or the bugs advantage... I decided to go with the zip closing.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    ok, now you're talking. No danger of falling out the portal in your sleep now.

I'm thinking it must be a pretty sturdy zipper you've got in there, yes?

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    #5 continuous coil YKK... not too bad but not as big as they get either. I just hung it with both gathered ends flopping and it stayed closed just fine. No window on the world so to speak.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12