Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

DMB BEEP mod......

Armed with a pair of sewing shears and bolstered by absolute ignorance I am charging in where only fools would enter. Here is the theory... As the only mode of the DMB that I need the BEEP mod is the gathered mode, I am goiung to take advantage of the looseness of the head and foot fabric in Bridge mode. I plan on cutting down the center of the hammock from the whipping to a reasonable point at or beyond the suspension arch point. I will then see if there is anything left to salvage of the system after I have so violently ravished it.

Ignorance is bliss and a DIY hammock of Wally World fabric all around is reasonable dispensible. Wish me luck and I'll try to document the process in photos and commentary.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Armed with a pair of sewing shears and bolstered by absolute ignorance I am charging in where only fools would enter. Here is the theory... As the only mode of the DMB that I need the BEEP mod is the gathered mode, I am goiung to take advantage of the looseness of the head and foot fabric in Bridge mode. I plan on cutting down the center of the hammock from the whipping to a reasonable point at or beyond the suspension arch point. I will then see if there is anything left to salvage of the system after I have so violently ravished it.

Ignorance is bliss and a DIY hammock of Wally World fabric all around is reasonable dispensible. Wish me luck and I'll try to document the process in photos and commentary.
    should work just fine so long as you don't cut past the suspension arch. If you do cut past the suspension arch, don't go far, and put A LOT of reenforcement at where the cut ends. When you turn and sit on the hammock you'll be bringing a lot of stress right on that point where the cut ends.

Grizz

lotsa luck

Grizz

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Well... ididn't end up eating dirt... which I suppose is a good thing.

Whether it is worth it or not I will have to think about. The workmanship is extremely rough because I was working on an already completed piece and had to reach deep into the bowels of the body to accomlish some of what I needed to do.

So let's start with the tour...

I chalklined and set oins in the line that I wanted to cut. I sewed along the line to stablize the edges befor I cut the body. It turns out this was not sufficient and I needed to go back and sew some stablizing fabric onto the slit. Unfortunately I did not have enuf grosgrain but did not realize it until after I had committed. So the other side got stablized by 3/8" twill tape. Thus the difference in later pics. I had to go back and lengthen the slit because I could fit through it when the hammock was hung. I knew ths would be a problem. But I had already gone somewhat beyond the suspension arch.

In the end I believe the portal extends about a foot or so beyond the suspension points.

After I rewhipped the end I hung the hammock from the stand and attempted to sit in the BEEP only to have the fabric give way. Not a happy thought thought I.

I stablized the fabric with the grosgrain and the twill tape and sewed a sizable patch of webbing att he end of the oprtal. It ain't going no where.

I jast barely fit through the BEEP It is a tight fit.

But I do indeed fit and it does indeed work... kind of... sort of... in a sense.

When in Bridge mode if the foot gather is relaxed it is like having a picture window to the woods.

I know what some of you are thinking... and I am not going there. Although I must confess the thought did pass my mind.

If the foot end is put under tension in the Bridge mode the situation is much more tolerable. I think some sort of fastening device would be suffcient to maintain closure on the BEEP in that mode. Velcro or a zipper comes to mind although I am sure there are other options.

The BEEP really does not accomplish much in the Bridge mode from my viewpoint. I can exit the Bridge mode with a minimum of hassle. I would not bother putting a BEEP in a straight basic bridge.

The situation changes however when the gathered end is the main support.

Is it worth the bother? I don't know. If you really want to go with the DMB it might be. Particualrly if you were starting from scratch and could build in the BEEP from the get go.

There you have it. It does work. It would be feasible to do particularly from the biginning. If any one wants more information about this mod I will be happy to answer any further question.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

lemme see

B E E P == Bridge Exit Ejection Portal

or
    Broad Exterior Excavating Pothole

or
    Big End Eviscerating Polyester

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Bottom Entry/Exit Portal is what I had in mind.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Wow. You are a creative fellow ramb.

How long did all of that take?

P.S. You guys are not allowed to make fun of my socks anymore. :3

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks Rev for pointing me to this thread and also for putting your DMB hammock in peril.

My main interest in the bridge slit entrance is because my mom has really bad knees and a bad back and I think the idea of planting her feet getting out of unstable hammock may be too much for her (she won't go near my woven one for that reason), likewise the endcap method of entry under the spreaderbar is not an option either.
    I just wanted to see if I could share the wonders of hammocks with her by giving her another option of entry and your last thread on disabilities led me to the thought that the slit option may be a good idea. I still may try it out if I can ever get a hold of some wally world fabric that isn't already dedicated to another project.
    Last edited by LostCause; 08-21-2008 at 18:47. Reason: it's a DMB not just a bridge...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    On the disability thread I describe my emthod for getting out of a straight bridge. If you don't grasp the process let me know and I'll post some pics of it. The Bridsge is really superbly stable. I think the HH is even more so because your center of gravity is always so far below the suspension points. I know there are those who have turned their HH over. I don't doubt that it happened, but I can't imagine how. I have never even come close to having that happen. Of course I have the monster size and that probably makes a difference.

As I say... I don't see much advantage to a slit in a straight bridge. The bed is not very long for one thing so you end up with a short little slit and that makes it hard to manipulate. This is much harder to get out of than my HH.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Qchan... took me most of a day but part of that was starting over several times cause I didn't get something right.

Oh.. about your socks... we still get to poke fun at yours.... just now you get to return the favor...

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    now Qchan's socks with RamblinRev's slippers in a hammock....there's a visually jarring thought!

Grizz (who occasionally forgets that them what lives in glass houses ought not to be flinging stones about...)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast