DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Rather than trying to fit a larger tarp into your sock configuration, and making your base unit heavier and more bulky, why not keep it small and use your poncho to provide the extra coverage when you want it? oh... I guess that assumes you hike with a poncho. I do because I like the whole "2for1" functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Yep. Winter was one of the three seasons I was talking about. Sorry if it wasn't clear; that post was written Before Coffee.

The only thing that I would dislike is not having a sheltered place for hanging out while camping the way that a regular tarp can provide. Which is the same problem I have with a t**t, now that I think about it. You're either enclosed or wet (or often both, with the aforementioned four-letter word).

Which isn't much of an issue on long days spent on the trail or in the saddle, but might be an issue if I was to do shorter hikes or rides and spend more time in camp.

Been playing with my own modular system for the last little bit, and I think I've got the summer configuration down pretty good; it doesn't offer much extra in the way of coverage when not in the hammock, but my Fall/Spring configuration will. Not as simple to set up, though. It still requires two guyouts right now, and the tarp is set up separately from the hammock (which can be a pain in the wet, since it's such a minimalist tarp). Trying to figure out a good way to set up a larger tarp with minimal hassle, too...I think Mule might have a great idea there...gonna play with it some...

What I'm really looking at, though, is the Winter configuration. Much of that is going to be predicated on an overcover/undercover system similar to a sock, and I'm starting to look around for ideas. This is a good one, if a little out of my price range (wish I could afford the WP/B Cuben, for certain). Hope to have the first prototypes ready to go by mid-Fall, so that I don't miss out on the whole two weeks (insert Total Recall reference here) of winter that we get down here.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    At this point I'm calling the Dirigible a big success. The Graf to follow is only improving a solid design. Just this week it was pointed out to me that the Graf will advance the art even further=the ability to go to ground in tent mode and not just bivi mode. Not that I want to but just another option.
    a big +1 on the success! Thanks for sharing and a great thread!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Looks like there was a lot of discussion overnight

3 in socks! That is a huge hint at progress Fingers AND toes crossed!
    Maybe 4, Rayn and I have been discussing one of these that would not hit the wallet as hard. If he makes the hike there may be another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I hadn't heard about breathable cuban until I saw it on your thread. Wow, I'd like to get my hands on a whole tarp of that stuff.
    FYI, it would not work for an entire tarp. It is too "stretchy". We are having to design around that on the socks.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    That, I would like to see! I drank 18 liters of fluids on my 32 mile in a day July 4th hike in the Smokies then drank 3 more when I got to the car.
    How about a very close second

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    From what I've heard on the deep cold side, canvas is about the only material that will breath enough to nullify condensation in a sock. My DriDucks has had ice on the inside when I've used them for weathershields.
    Agree on the canvas from the single digits down. I think MM's sock excels when the temps are cold but still have the chance of wet snow/rain. You will stay dry and the sock adds some warmth to the set up

Quote Originally Posted by photohiker View Post
    Impressive innovation there MM and HO.
    Would this work for a Bridge Hammock?
    The concept would work but would have to have some design changes. Grizz made a sock design that could work using the WBcuben with the addition of a tarp on the entry side.

The quick setup is the selling point to me. V2 will have some design changes that already have lead to more ideas Since I am a very warm sleeper, my personal sock will lean more towards weather protection. I am looking forward to the cold weather to do some "condensation" testing. I think that it will be the same as clothing. You can wear too much causing sweat that makes you cold. The same with the sock, if you do not keep enough air flow you will have condensation at some point.

Hope to have V2 to MM soon. Look for refinements and weight reductions while maintaining our goals of K.I.S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    The quick setup is the selling point to me. V2 will have some design changes that already have lead to more ideas Since I am a very warm sleeper, my personal sock will lean more towards weather protection....

Hope to have V2 to MM soon. Look for refinements and weight reductions while maintaining our goals of K.I.S.S.
    I think this is what's most important with this design. Complete weather protection, at least for me. I could care less if it adds warmth, that's just a bonus. The quick set up, while attached to the hammock, with complete weather protection with as little condensation problems is what my goal would be. Wish I knew how to sew (I do but its bad lol). Keep up the great work brother, hope V2 gets us closer to seeing it on the market

Jeremy

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Wisenber,
    What did you think of using the SMA (shug moisture absorber) when in winter and the sock is fully battened down. I've got to try it when the time comes. Won't hurt and a 4x6 inch piece of generic shamwow won't weigh too much.
    Seems like Shug had it attached to the ridgeline with a cord, maybe bungie, and then clipped somehow to his top quilt right in front of his face.
    Any one know how much moisture the typical (not me or Wisenber!)sleeper puts out exhaling and sweating? Vague memory says exhaling roughly a pint at night....
    I think he used that more to protect his top quilt than to stop all exhaled moisture. The bib will reduce the amount of respiration on your TQ, but it's not going to help much on keeping vapor from hitting the sock and freezing.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

another benefit of socks, mentioned but worth repeating

and it goes for all the known hammock socks out there and it is this...stuff doesn't hit the ground.
    So I imposed a weight penalty on my back by using a sock --though not a huge penalty considering it's tarp/undercover/overcover in one--- so I look to the hammock itself to save weight. That is why the Neutron was such a beauty at 7-8.1 ounces including some of the suspension (not including whoopie or huggers).....but the Neutron is like a Traveler and stuff (the downy goodness) would often hit the ground. The footbox mod from Hangnout and the Knotty mod (these features are also found in the Snipe and Lite Owl Hammocks) stop a lot of this falling to ground of stuff you dont want wet or dirty. The hammock sock catches everthing that might fall out of the hammock.
    In one sense you can look at the sock as another place to store downy products while sleeping/changing clothes, etc.
    OK move this concept up a bit further, further towards the bottom of the hammock....getting cold on the bottom but hot on top, take off the garment and put it under the underquilt but held in place by the sock.

And as old time hangers know one could stuff the sock with dry leaves, pine needles, whatever is handy to increase the insulation below.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Hangnout or MM are either of you gonna bring one of these puppy's to the Hot Springs Hang next week?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Hotsprings and MAHAA are two I've always wanted to attend but am denied again this year; this time its all about honey. This coming weekend my bees must be robbed.
    The next time my sock will be in use will probably be on the C/O Canal in October for 4 nights and then in November at the Big South Fork Sock-a-thon where potentially 4 of Hangnouts socks may be in various stages of field testing.
    Rumors are that one of the socks being introduced to the wilds will be waterproof/breathable AND affordable. Now affordable is a huge continuum but less than $175-200 dollars; but we'll have to see how durable it will be.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Hotsprings and MAHAA are two I've always wanted to attend but am denied again this year; this time its all about honey. This coming weekend my bees must be robbed.
    The next time my sock will be in use will probably be on the C/O Canal in October for 4 nights and then in November at the Big South Fork Sock-a-thon where potentially 4 of Hangnouts socks may be in various stages of field testing.
    Rumors are that one of the socks being introduced to the wilds will be waterproof/breathable AND affordable. Now affordable is a huge continuum but less than $175-200 dollars; but we'll have to see how durable it will be.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast