Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Bottom line waiting for more cold nights This sock is basically a single wall tent as MM said. Condensation has always been my concern but after seeing MM looking like a ziploc bag Sunday morning without any major condensation, I think it comes down to managing it by venting etc. We are finding out the entire setup of hammock/sock has to be "matched" for best results. Putting the tarp out would breathe the sock and help reduce condensation.

During the last hike I was a few hundred feet from MM and Poof. 2sticks was testing the silnylon version with no noticable condensation. I was under a standard tarp and my quilts had moisture because we chose to camp on the creek for 2 nights. Moving up the hill would have reduced the outside moisture. In this case the sock would have reduced the outside moisture. Rolling fog nothing will reduce it.

The real advantage to me is setup time and weather protection with the extra warmth secondary. Both nights on the BSF trip I had 2sticks in the hammock in less than a minute from the time I started to set up her up. Pack up is almost as fast. I set the sock up at home with the hammock/quilts and pack it for the trip. I was kinda of aggravated setting my non sock system up after putting hers up so fast

I will try to get an update video on the silnylon version soon. It weighs 20oz which is not bad compared to a sil winter tarp with lines and stakes. It does not have the SEEP but can be closed up with the tarp.

I am working on the second silnylon version and trying some new things that can be transfered to the cuben version. Sil is cheaper to test on.

The key to these socks is the WP/Breathable materials. Finding a reasonable priced material under 2oz sq yd is the challenge.

I am almost as "wordy" as MM

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Very informative update! Does the "sil" version HNO is working on have a code name like v1 was Dirigible and v2 Graf?
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    By the way, we're getting cold nights here in Montana if you need beta testing.

Is condensation caused mainly by breathing or body heat/moisture as well? Does moisture mainly condense when warm/moist air moves up, or do you get condensation below as well?
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    how about the 2stickSock!

Poof and I were pushing it by being right up against the creek...temp wise and humidity wise. I know it was 10F warmer just 50 feet up the hill.

Condensation is constanly coming out of you, most heads up with the body heat but some heads down. IF you wore a vapor barrier suit coupled with Shugs breath catcher (cant remember what he calls it) you'd negate a huge amount of potential body generated condensate.

Just remember the law of physics. When moisture laden air (breathe) hits a cold surface condensation occurs. The way the tenters solved ths yeas ago was with a double wall tent or a tent with a breathable mesh/see through netting and then the waterproof fly with a gap between the two. Condensation still occurs on the inside of that system, it just runs down the walls and hits the ground UNLESS it freezes in place....we've all seen frozen condensate on the inside of our tarps, some have seen it on the outside of their topquilts as the moisture passes through, hits the outside surface and instantly freezes.
    I dont care about frozen consensate, it can be shaken off in the morning but also remember your body heat is keeping the inside of the sock 10F warmer, so if it is 26F outside and 36 inside that moisture collecting on the inside of the sock will still be liquid---up to a point, that point is where it is so cold outside that even with the 10+ degree advantage inside the sock it is still below freezing.

Lots of variables eh! But as HNO pointed out the set up take down advantage FOR ME outweighs having to employ some moisture managment techniques....which reminds me, over the years I never saw a single wall tent user not carry a sponge

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Davigilante,
    Just noticed something else that will be critical to consider.
    You are out west where it is a dessert humidity wise compared to us in the east.
    Many of the large condensation issues will be different for you. Same would apply in areas of the deep north where the humidity of winter is incredibly low.
    But even here in the wet Appalachians in deep winter our humidity decreases; in that vain I'm looking forward to the 0-5F hangs and to what may happen.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    When its deep cold then any sock will do, the precip will be solid and just slide off.
    It's the humidity differential, not the precip, that is the challenge in deep cold. The more vapor permeable, the better, in extreme cold.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    ...here in the wet Appalachians in deep winter our humidity decreases
    ...but the differential between ambient outside conditions and the surface of your skin becomes greater. That moisture is driven toward the low humidity side of your insulation, so the system needs to be vapor permeable.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Davigilante,
    Just noticed something else that will be critical to consider.
    You are out west where it is a dessert humidity wise compared to us in the east.
    Many of the large condensation issues will be different for you. Same would apply in areas of the deep north where the humidity of winter is incredibly low.
    But even here in the wet Appalachians in deep winter our humidity decreases; in that vain I'm looking forward to the 0-5F hangs and to what may happen.
    Yep. We don't get much humidity around here. My solo tent is single-wall and many reviews complain of condensation but I've only had minor issues with it in rare conditions. So this seems like it's right up my alley.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Perhaps "Aerostat" or "Goodyear" for names.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Davi

you are in perfect sock territory and I think we in the southeast are in the worst except for what I experienced in Mendenhall which turned out to be an opportune test.
    We never went into this thinking socks would work everywhere or in all conditions but so far we're pulling it off here and at 13oz with the Graf I'm still very pleased.
    But one more comment on the set up time. Saturday night was the perfect example of arriving in camp right at dark, cold from all the creek crossings, and really not wanting to deal with the tarp and all the lines. The same 2 minute setup HNO had with 2Sticks tarp we enjoyed AFTER finding some trees-being the last ones to get there removed a lot of choices!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    can't believe I have passed over this thread unnoticed somehow since I have been in this forum. This is a really neat idea and I am very interested in the long term testing and improvements to control condensation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast