Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnbull Outfitter View Post
    A hair trigger away from ordering Mac's sock when I tripped ober this thread last night. 17 pages of posts on this thread and numerous videos consumed have kept this new HF member and new to hammock camper up until 3:30am. Quite the page turner but we seem to be missing the final chapter. Is there an update on when/if the sil/Dri or Airship socks will be available for purchase?
    You are not the only one... a couple of folks have asked me about making a tarp/sock recently. In order to allow others to enjoy the benefits that MM has seen, without having to pay for exotic materials, I have a suggestion.

I will be glad to make a MMG sock for you or anyone using a silnylon SEEP and sides, with a breathable 1.1 ripstop nylon bottom. It will hang just fine in porch mode with a ridgeline, as Hang-n-Out has shown. I will add a drip panel all the way around the bottom, so that rain water will not wet the bottom. I will reshape the SEEP as a tarp, so that you have plenty of room and good tension when it is set up in porch mode. I will add a no-seeum panel to cover the opening, if you like.

Any moisture generated should pass through the breathable bottom, without collecting. With the tarp set up, you will have plenty of air exchange through the opening. As long as you do not completely close the SEEP, you should have minimal condensation issues.

Will this work? If so, let's continue this conversation using email.

[email protected]

P.S. The real benefit to a MMG Tarp/Sock is that the sock has been proven over several years... only the materials are different.
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 10-06-2013 at 06:20.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DH DB 11'x72'',WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OMW 144'' Black
    Insulation
    UGQ 40*+0*,Inc 20*
    Suspension
    dutch & whoopie
    We will see, how it works. Thanks a lot, Mac, for building this XL camp sock/tarp combination
    for me.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Pics/Vids please when done.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Ditto for pics

Hammock
    DH DB 11'x72'',WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OMW 144'' Black
    Insulation
    UGQ 40*+0*,Inc 20*
    Suspension
    dutch & whoopie
    Gentleman, I will do my very best to serve You with pics.
    Greetings from Switzerland.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    It occurred to me last night that such a sock might be nice with a noseeum bottom, surrounded by a rain skirt.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I think its a viable possibility except for the drippage aspect. When I first Read your thread I thought I could design something like that too, at least out of regular ole ripstop, but I couldnt wrap my head around water drainage. I drew up some stuff but scrapped the idea. If you do design one like your last post, I would love to see the outcome. Keep the ideas flowing.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    The Airship only has waterproof material on the back and tarp. The bottom and SEEP are M50. MM has not had a problem with getting wet I made a sil version with a mesh bottom. The problems to solve are getting tarp tight and protecting the ends from rain.

Mods probably should move the last few posts to the vendor section. Just sayin...

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ &amp; SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    The problems to solve are getting tarp tight and protecting the ends from rain.
    I have an idea that may serve both issues.

On my rig, to attach my hex tarp directly to my hammock suspension line, I sewed a channel on each end and installed 1/8" shockcord drawstring and a cord lock. The shockcord is doubled, with both ends catching in the cord lock, then inserted into the channel.

To keep the drawstring from slipping back out, I put a couple of stitches through the end of the channel between each line of the drawstring. (ugh, I need to do some pics)

To use, I take the cordlock end and put two wraps around the suspension, catching some of the tarp material, then pass it through the other end of the drawstring and tighten until the shock cord is tensioned. It fast to secure and takes a moment longer to release.

This setup does two things: It provides a watertight seal at each end of the tarp; and the wraps grip the hammock suspension line, which is 7/64" Amsteel.

Hope that is of some help. Let me know if anyone actually wants pics.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    ..... The problems to solve are getting tarp tight and protecting the ends from rain....
    Those are problems to deal with. I did not mean we had not solved them

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike65 View Post
    I have an idea that may serve both issues.

On my rig, to attach my hex tarp directly to my hammock suspension line, I sewed a channel on each end and installed 1/8" shockcord drawstring and a cord lock. The shockcord is doubled, with both ends catching in the cord lock, then inserted into the channel.

To keep the drawstring from slipping back out, I put a couple of stitches through the end of the channel between each line of the drawstring. (ugh, I need to do some pics)

To use, I take the cordlock end and put two wraps around the suspension, catching some of the tarp material, then pass it through the other end of the drawstring and tighten until the shock cord is tensioned. It fast to secure and takes a moment longer to release.

This setup does two things: It provides a watertight seal at each end of the tarp; and the wraps grip the hammock suspension line, which is 7/64" Amsteel.

Hope that is of some help. Let me know if anyone actually wants pics.
    Sounds like a possible solution. Pics are always great to help other DIY members.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast