Rather than trying to fit a larger tarp into your sock configuration, and making your base unit heavier and more bulky, why not keep it small and use your poncho to provide the extra coverage when you want it? oh... I guess that assumes you hike with a poncho. I do because I like the whole "2for1" functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
Yep. Winter was one of the three seasons I was talking about. Sorry if it wasn't clear; that post was written Before Coffee.

The only thing that I would dislike is not having a sheltered place for hanging out while camping the way that a regular tarp can provide. Which is the same problem I have with a t**t, now that I think about it. You're either enclosed or wet (or often both, with the aforementioned four-letter word).

Which isn't much of an issue on long days spent on the trail or in the saddle, but might be an issue if I was to do shorter hikes or rides and spend more time in camp.

Been playing with my own modular system for the last little bit, and I think I've got the summer configuration down pretty good; it doesn't offer much extra in the way of coverage when not in the hammock, but my Fall/Spring configuration will. Not as simple to set up, though. It still requires two guyouts right now, and the tarp is set up separately from the hammock (which can be a pain in the wet, since it's such a minimalist tarp). Trying to figure out a good way to set up a larger tarp with minimal hassle, too...I think Mule might have a great idea there...gonna play with it some...

What I'm really looking at, though, is the Winter configuration. Much of that is going to be predicated on an overcover/undercover system similar to a sock, and I'm starting to look around for ideas. This is a good one, if a little out of my price range (wish I could afford the WP/B Cuben, for certain). Hope to have the first prototypes ready to go by mid-Fall, so that I don't miss out on the whole two weeks (insert Total Recall reference here) of winter that we get down here.