Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    OK I'll do my best to show it up.
    But there was a comment several posts up about the silnylon/DriDucks version.
    I think HNO (you all know that is my short cut for Hangnout) has made several comments on the sil/Dri version and he has had wonderful results. I think the Roan experience for him sold him on the viability of this type of hammock sock; I know I seen the sil/Dri version used twice now with great results. The latest W/B version the AirShip was modeled after the sil/Dri version and of course it evolved from the knowledge garnered from the Graf and the Dirigible before it (the Dirigible is in dry dock by the way for a retrofit).
    The only huge difference between the sil/Dri and the AirShip is of course weight and less cost....you know how that goes, weight goes down price goes up
    But the sil/Dri version is just over 20 ounces. A sil-nyl winter tarp with doors weighs that much so the sil/Dri sock still shines on its own.
    It is my hope that HNO supplies the knowledge/templates/etc. to Leighlo underquilts and that it comes to market....of course if people interested in the sil/Dri version ping him. Now if HNO minds me plugging the product I'll hear about it in the Gulf!

Hammock
    ENO Pro Nest
    Tarp
    Mosquito Hammock
    Insulation
    Reflectix+pad+bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

And then...

A hair trigger away from ordering Mac's sock when I tripped ober this thread last night. 17 pages of posts on this thread and numerous videos consumed have kept this new HF member and new to hammock camper up until 3:30am. Quite the page turner but we seem to be missing the final chapter. Is there an update on when/if the sil/Dri or Airship socks will be available for purchase?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    You'll love the MacIX. I used mine many a time; Spamburgler used on the Roan Higher Colder Hang this past January at 8F and 40k wind. It's just that when it gets warmer and the snow/ice turns to liquid, well that is what motivated me into a waterproof/breathable sock that could be used year around. The material we chose (bet you saw this in several vids) was the w/b cuben...the cost of it is crazy and there was never a big demand for anyone to do a huge production run. The sil/dry duck alternative was just as functional only heavier. The only one I know who was doing anything with either was Hangnout and last I talked to him he was covered in work.
    Personally I've now over 60 nights in a w/b sock and have now gone the entire 12 seasons using one or two or three (the Dirigible, the Graf, and the AirShip). It was a fun project, mostly because we were blessed with being able to work with and test for Hangnout. I'd like to tell you I'd hoped many hangers would have gotten the w/b 'bug' but each of us has a different slant on what it is to hang in those piney woods and what we want to carry. The AirShip was the (duh) 3rd incarnation, and thusly was the most advanced in terms of weight:feature ratio....at 12 ounces it does more than the Dirigible weighing in at 4 ounces more...but if there were only one I'd still gladly carry the Dirigible at 16 ounces simply because for it's weight it still had more purpose/function than many a sil tarp of only 4 years ago.
    This doesn't help you seeking the w/b sock I know but you never know what a PM to the right person may bring.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I haven't had the privilege to try HNO's creations but I have thoroughly used both the MacIX (no longer made with IX) and the Warbonnet Travel Sock. I will say they are a mainstay in my kit in almost 3 seasons. Wind, cold or just for privacy. The best feature of the Mac version is the seep. I can just flop it over the ridge line with it open and drape it down to close. It can be tucked in between the hammock & UQ in high wind but one of the best features of the seep is while sitting in the hammock and draping the seep over me while dressing.
    The Warbonnet T/S comes in 3 fabrics & weights. I have the multi-cam which is 1.9 so it is a bit heavier but blocks the wind very well and the warmth is outstanding! Also 2QZQ makes extenders (my brainchild) for longer hammocks so it will fit any size.
    Hopefully one day HNO will make his creations available for sale...I'm patiently waiting.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Re: Video: Hang-n-Out Dirigible

Quote Originally Posted by Turnbull Outfitter View Post
    A hair trigger away from ordering Mac's sock when I tripped ober this thread last night. 17 pages of posts on this thread and numerous videos consumed have kept this new HF member and new to hammock camper up until 3:30am. Quite the page turner but we seem to be missing the final chapter. Is there an update on when/if the sil/Dri or Airship socks will be available for purchase?
    As I understand it, the socks are too labor intensive to be a feasible production item. Cost of material and labor would put a rather high price tag on them. That said I would love to get my mitts on one also having seen them in the flesh so to speak
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    ENO Pro Nest
    Tarp
    Mosquito Hammock
    Insulation
    Reflectix+pad+bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    This doesn't help you seeking the w/b sock I know but you never know what a PM to the right person may bring.
    Fair enough MedicineMan. The sock-no-tarp w/b hammock-fu logic has infected a few of us here and the gears are turning towards dusting off my childhood home ec class sewing skills. I'll be sure to post if my home grown attempt flies or flops.

Thanks for all the great documentation and sharing of ideas.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Medicine man, I'm not sure which one you had at the hang in Columbia, SC, but I loved it. There is definitely an interest, and I hope to be able to get one, one of these days.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just found this thread and am very intrigued. The ease of setup and takedown is pretty awesome and I really like that you can still have a "porch" in the rain.
    Not all who wander are lost...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnbull Outfitter View Post
    Quite the page turner but we seem to be missing the final chapter. Is there an update on when/if the sil/Dri or Airship socks will be available for purchase?
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Hopefully one day HNO will make his creations available for sale...I'm patiently waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by spamburglar View Post
    As I understand it, the socks are too labor intensive to be a feasible production item. Cost of material and labor would put a rather high price tag on them. That said I would love to get my mitts on one also having seen them in the flesh so to speak
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    Medicine man, I'm not sure which one you had at the hang in Columbia, SC, but I loved it. There is definitely an interest, and I hope to be able to get one, one of these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer4953 View Post
    Just found this thread and am very intrigued. The ease of setup and takedown is pretty awesome and I really like that you can still have a "porch" in the rain.
    Thanks to everyone for the interest. MM has done a great job testing the viability of the All-In-One system in different seasons. The addition of Poof testing with MM has provided a good balance of feedback. I think for most people this type system will work well from late fall to early spring. Cold sleepers can push the system a little further. A better way of rating than by the "season" is when nights are below 60 this system can be used with success. You do have to change your mindset when using this system. It is not a tarp and can not be set up like a tarp. If you like your tarp to be a trampoline this system is not for you.

I will have a workshop available soon due to my daughter moving for grad school and working in her field of study. You can understand my mixed feelings on this. I will have a place to work but my daughter will not be there. It has always been her business but it was nice when she would occasionally ask for dad's advice

I have always believed that if you start a new venture you should bring something new or different to the table. I think these are new and different but until an alternative UL WP/B material is found or the price comes down these socks would only be a custom order item. They are very expensive and require a user who understands the limits of the system. Most new hangers would be better off with a conventional system.

I am also working with a cuben tarp/sock system that can be used similar to the WP/B sock or could be used as a separate tarp and sock. The challenge is making the tarp part work either way. Some observant people have noticed the tarp part but for some reason their families have filed a missing person report This system would be a more commercial product.

The silnylon/Driducks version is just a DIY project at this point. It is not something I would produce for sale. I am using them for car camping etc. At this point I think that a small silnylon tarp and a DWR sock would be a better choice for the money.

I may start making some of these mid summer. I would only be doing a couple at a time just to keep the concept alive. I will post in thread when I am ready to take on new projects. I have some updating and items that I have already promised to complete that have been on hold. Thanks for the patience, you know who your are

Pricing for an Airship would be similar to 2 cuben tarps with doors. Most of the materials for these socks are only available from other cottage vendors at retail. Materials alone are more than 1 winter cuben tarp.

The Airship is a highly breathable WP sock that uses high end materials. In fact the entire sock is breathable except for the tarp porch section. All other prototypes including the silnylon version have been a different balance between being WP and breathable. Bottom line is that WP/B is expensive and always has been.

Any further questions about availability/price will only be answered in PM's to ensure this thread stays on track and follows the forum rules. Again, I would only be making a couple at a time to keep the concept going.

I hope that this answers some of the questions being asked. The Airship is the final version and I do not see any major changes unless another material becomes available to replace one in current use.

Thanks again to MM for starting this journey. He has been the driving force to improve each version ending up with the Airship. I think the next hangout I am on with MM we might do a video on all the different configurations he has used.
    Last edited by hangnout; 05-19-2013 at 12:06.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/ DIY SL Digicam 1.8
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Any pics or videos of the airship? Think this is an amazing idea!

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast