Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle

Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    You don't have to use whoopies (though they make life easy). You can just larks head straps or line onto the webbing loops at the ends of the hammock body similar to this picture.. You just need a loop on the end of your line or strap.
    Thanks, BER! Worked! Larks head to the hammock and ridgeline and larks head to descending rings. So simple! Easy way to lose most of a pound. I'll probably trade in my carabiners for dutch clips later.

I'm a newbie that made a vow to not get obsessed with weight, but between my nearly 6lb large Aether 70 and this hammock, somethings gotta give! LOL!

Going to wait until I've had a few nights in it before I deal with the poles.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Quote Originally Posted by garethkerlin View Post
    Anybody have any pictures on how you attached the whoopie slings to the Chrysalis? I've never used WS as I am new to hanging, but I definately want to get rid of those buckles!
    Here are some pics of how I attached my dynaglide whoopie slings (green) and the no-tangle ridgeline (orange small line) to the Chrysalis.

Your whoopie will have a fixed eye. Use that end on the webbing loop where the cinch buckle bolt came out. I chose to use a larkshead, looping through only one layer of the webbing that goes around the body of the hammock, not going around the short tab of added webbing. The ridgeline no-tangle line (orange) I put around the short webbing tab, as this will exert very little strain there. Somebody educate me if this is a bad idea.

WARNING: Feed the variable loop end of the whoopie sling through the opening in the end of the tarp/tent cover BELOW the webbing tab. I put mine through the top opening at first. When I weighted the hammock, the hammock body pulled through the hole by several inches, tearing stitching where the webbing tab was sewn on the tarp. DUH! See Turtlelady jump! Run Jip Run! ( Anyone old enough to know that reference? )

Then feed the variable loop and length of whoopie through the little cover cone.

Attach your variable loop to whatever attachment you have for the tree huggers or straps you use. I am using a strap with a dutch clip and a toggle with a Marlinspike Hitch here. Adjust as needed.

Very windy day -- hammock as kite in this photo!

If you use the Toggle and Marlinspike Hitch, remember that the whoopie rests on the knot, not on the toggle.

I hope that helps. Have fun making those whoopie slings, G.

Joyfully, Turtlelady

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    /me is so proud!

I remember the first time I took a camping hammock to Turtle Lady's house and set it up. She was polite, and laid in it for a minute, then we all went back into the house and talked of other things.

Sorry for the off-topic comments. It's just fun to see. And to be fair, she is the one who introduced me to hammocks in general, owning several of the Mexican ones long before I did.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, exped., chrysalis
    Tarp
    HH Explorer UL XL
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock (so far)
    Thanks Turtelady!!!!!!! That helped out like crazy. I'm so visual and sometimes I get lost in words... Great job describing it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Officially sick of winter. It was a beautiful day in Chicago today, but with a high in the upper 30s. Lived here all of my life, never liked the winter. Affecting my mood.

Anxious to try out my hammock, but NOT Shug-style! LOL!

I've joined a couple of backpacking groups and am really looking forward to getting out in the woods this year.

Think I'll spend the next couple of weekends prepping my gear and would like some advice.

What is the best way/product to weatherseal my hammock? I know we've got threads on this, but I thought I would ask someone that has one if there are any areas deserving special attention on the Chrysalis.

Also wondering whether I should treat with Permethrin before or after weatherproofing.

Finally, I'm going to start thinking about an under quilt solution, too. Assumed I'd just use my 25" wide thermarest prolite in the hammock, but I toss and turn A LOT. And I hate things sliding around.

Most UQ's are awfully expensive, though. Has anyone come up with a good solution for the Chrysalis, yet?

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob View Post
    Officially sick of winter. It was a beautiful day in Chicago today, but with a high in the upper 30s. Lived here all of my life, never liked the winter. Affecting my mood.
    Me too, but I'll tell you something...the cold really makes you sleep deeply and well. Hammocks have done two things for me: 1# made me enjoy camping/sleeping out more. #2 find a truly restful sleep!

Don't knock it till you've tried it! Even if it's a back yard camp out (where you can pile in the heavy wool blankets just to have the experience of camping at below 32F. You don't have to be -27F to be a cold weather camper!

Think I'll spend the next couple of weekends prepping my gear and would like some advice.

What is the best way/product to weatherseal my hammock? I know we've got threads on this, but I thought I would ask someone that has one if there are any areas deserving special attention on the Chrysalis.
    *Don't* "weather seal" a hammock. That's what tarps are for! Granted if you get something that has a canvas top on it (Does the Chrysalis? I've never been in one), then you just want to do a silicone (caulk) and mineral spirits mix and soak the material, then squeegie off the excess. Hammocks need to breath for you to be comfortable (IMHO). I know some have experimented with non-breathable hammock materials, but (IMHO) that's more for the advanced guys.

Also wondering whether I should treat with Permethrin before or after weatherproofing.
    Again, I don't feel you should be "weatherproofing" the hammock body material. It would be like wrapping yourself up in a plastic bag. As for Permethrin, get the soak like you would for clothing, make sure it dries 100% before using it. Then enjoy! It's truly amazing stuff. I even went as far as to spray my yard down with the stuff before a backyard BBQ/Camp out with friends, and it was amazing how few bugs we had!

Finally, I'm going to start thinking about an under quilt solution, too. Assumed I'd just use my 25" wide thermarest prolite in the hammock, but I toss and turn A LOT. And I hate things sliding around.

Most UQ's are awfully expensive, though. Has anyone come up with a good solution for the Chrysalis, yet?
    I don't have an answer for this one. After fiddling with half-arsed solutions, I broke down and got myself a couple nice quilts (Winter Set and 3 Season set). I felt it was one of those buy once cry once things. Get the best you can afford right off the bat, and stop worrying about if it's going to work or if you'll have a good nights sleep with cheap or kludged together solutions. Good gear kept me comfortable down to -15F, I had no worries what-so-ever. So start saving your pennies and just get a good quilt set!
    Last edited by Lonely Raven; 03-28-2011 at 07:44.

I would think all one would have to do to the Chrysalis would be to seam seal the canopy.

IIRC the body is supposed to already be weatherproof?

One of the fellows on the board that has one says his underquilt works fine. You just have to be mindful of the underneath velcro attachments for the canopy, and you have to have an additional tarp overhead to keep the quilt dry during rain as the attached canopy would not provide sufficient coverage.

Pemethrin...not sure about that one. I plan on using a pad or inflatable so that will not be a problem for me.

If you are so inclined, Eureka offers a full coverage bug net now in case you would want to remove the canopy and just sleep under a tarp.

Hope that helps.

I've joined a couple of backpacking groups and am really looking forward to getting out in the woods this year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Thanks for the advice, inspectorguy.

Was a beautiful day in Chicago, today--hit 70 degrees at least!

Took the Chrysalis out to the park with my 3-year-old boy. While he worked on getting as much dirt in his hair as possible, I strung it up with my descending rings and carabiner setup. Pulled it extra taut in remembrance of the large amount of stretch in the stock straps. Put in my Thermarest Prolite 4 and my sleeping bag. Then I grabbed the boy and tossed him inside. He loved it so I gave the hammock a nice push--and learned both that MY straps don't have a lot of stretch and that a 35 lb boy sinks into a bridge hammock a lot less further than his 250+ lb father.

He was instantly dumped three feet to the ground. I picked him up and asked if he was okay. "Again!", he yelled, while rubbing his head. That's my boy!

It probably hadn't helped that between the slick hammock, my equally slick pad, and, apparently, teflon-coated sleeping bag, getting into the hammock was like trying to stand on 3 balls balanced atop one another. I never actually accomplished it.

Definitely adding some silicone to the bottom of my pad. Anyone have any advice on that?

One thing I'm certain of now--though I'm still coming in at five pounds for the hammock and I've got to hump this sucker on my hikes--I can definitely sleep in it. I took the pad and bag out and tried it out again and the first thing that I noticed was that I move around in it less than in my own bed. And after my wife arrived to play with my son, I fell asleep for a few minutes in the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    I don't have an answer for this one. After fiddling with half-arsed solutions, I broke down and got myself a couple nice quilts (Winter Set and 3 Season set). I felt it was one of those buy once cry once things. Get the best you can afford right off the bat, and stop worrying about if it's going to work or if you'll have a good nights sleep with cheap or kludged together solutions. Good gear kept me comfortable down to -15F, I had no worries what-so-ever. So start saving your pennies and just get a good quilt set!
    Thanks for the advice on the Permethrin. Yes, the hammock has a nylon top that completely encloses it. Once I have confidence in this setup, I'll probably break down and buy an underquilt. Sleeping truly well would be well worth it. Used, anyway! LOL!

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Since I lasted posted on this, the weather in Chicago has gone straight into the crapper! I know April is supposed to the be cruelest month, but come on! Rain, sleet, rain, rain, snow rain. Aiiiieeee! Make it stop! Usually the weather doesn't get to me.

I'm convinced that it's because I am looking forward to camping in my new setup.

Didn't someone say they had figured out the underquilt issue for the Chrysalis?

Can't find the post anywhere...

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast