Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

I like the concept but not the weight

I recently got to try one of these at the Toronto sports man show. Now I have actually camped on a hammock be for but i have been looking for one for a while.
    I am 6'2" and still had room. The extra storage at the head and foot are great. I found it roomy, even enough room for my 6 year old son to come in with me. Where would even be enough room for the two of us to sleep. It was very stable. i was hanging half way out and still had to try to fall out.
    There are vent on the canopy that would help with venting and condensation and you can lie on your side and be very comfortable.

There are no guy lines just the two straps that go to the trees and the two poles in side. Everything is attached from what I could see and setup looked like it we as simple as strap it to the trees, connect the interior posts and tighten.

I do agree with the weigh issue, it is too heavy. I wanted to go with a hammock to be lighter. I have an old 3 man apex eureka tent and it weighs 5lbs.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Of course this was the only hammock mentioned in Backpacker magazine for 2009 gear guide.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    HH hyperlight
    Tarp
    JRB Cat/Cuban Cat
    Insulation
    MW4UQ/Leighlo 2/3
    Suspension
    Whoop/Nacra/Dutch

Advantage Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Exploriment View Post

But it's very roomy inside. You can sit up inside it. (And I'm a very lanky guy.) There is room inside it for stuff. There was room at the foot end for me to wedge my Danner Acadia boots, and I could put a three day pack behind my head. I could put my clothes, under the hammock inside the outer covering.
    EXP: Is this a double layered hammock, Clark pockets? ? How did you put clothes "under the hammock inside the outer layer?"

BRIDGE FANS: Is it easier to winter insulate with bridge vs. compression hammocks? It appears to me that since there is much less stress on foot and shoulder areas that these vital spots might allow "inside" insulation with less bedding compression. If this is so 1/2 or 3/4 under quilts might be all you need. I imagine that you don't get as much "shoulder wrap" too.

Can you set bridge hammocks closer to the ground? Wind convection seems more the problem with initial heat loss in hammocks than radiation, and this would allow more protected pitches.

Sure wish the designer would join in. Seems like Chrysalis prices are dropping fast, so I wonder if some of the limitations are insurmountable. It is great to see innovation though, especially with the "bivvey approach." High pitched tarps are always going to be a windage problem.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex, DIY Marpat
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ, DIY RWQ
    Sorry for the delay in responding.

The model I used was one of the prototypes, and I like it a lot more than the production model. (I have some photos of the production model, set up in my friends back yard. I'll try to put them up some time soon. But seeing as I took 1900 pictures in Kejimkujik that I'm trying to process right now, it might be a while. )

The prototype had a mesh hammock inside, that was them covered by the "tent/tarp." The bottom part of that covering left a space between the underside of the hammock and the material of the covering. The time that I used it (a three day canoe trip in Algonquin, 7 years ago), I found it a handy spot to put my rain jacket. If it started to rain, I could reach underneath myself to grab it when getting out.

"Sure wish the designer would join in."

You and me both.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex, DIY Marpat
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ, DIY RWQ
    I guess Dave Helsdon, the designer, doesn’t have the time or can’t be bothered to join the discussion. Pity.

Anyway, I promised to put up some pictures and some observations about it.

http://exploriment.blogspot.com/2009...chrysalis.html

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    A bridge hammock. First I had realized this was a bridge. Says in the news paper article that it is patented too.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex, DIY Marpat
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ, DIY RWQ
    Yeah, there is a link to the patent in my writeup. Or just google “Helsdon” and “Hammock” and a variety of patent sites will come up. Don’t know if any of them have the images that would have been part of the patent submission.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I am considering purchasing one of these hammocks. I live in Ontario and from what I can tell it is easier for me to go with one of these than a Jacks R Better. Can anyone comment here who lives in Ontario?

I feel this hammock could work for me because I am a side/stomach sleeper. I also camp with my doggie who I believe could fit inside with me.

I have read that there is a mesh canopy that can replace the nylon tarp...however I have not seen any pictures of this...does anyone have pictures or a link to pictures? This is a must for me...I need the hammock to be able to convert to ALL mesh for summer camping.

As for weight...true 8 lbs is VERY heavy but since I am a canoe tripper I believe the weight would be worth it as long as my dog can fit inside with me.

Can anyone comment about the mesh canopy attachment, as well as any experience fitting a dog inside?

I so want to become a hammock sleeper but my pup needs to sleep nearly ontop of me while I'm camping...lol.

Regards,

bunk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    Well I found a picture with the mesh canopy...looks really good.

As far as a dog inside goes I suppose it isn't rocket science...lol...it is likely doable but space will be tight.

Images
    how bout a link to that pic??

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast