Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    It's actually on a youtube video...the mesh cover is towards the end. Here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaTc8kLa4I

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    There are several things I would do different for sure, but I think Eureka has some interesting features on that hammock.
    I'd sure like to check out one in person.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I agree...I wish I could try one out first. I will make a review thread on the forum if I end up purchasing one.

I'm basically choosing between an MSR hubba hubba tent (blasphemy right...ha ha) or this eureka hammock...I much rather go with the hammock but I need to make sure my pup will be comfy too.

Regards,

Sam

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I suspect that it would suit both you & your pup. I'm thinking that "part" of what makes it so un-necessarily heavy is a heavier fabric, along w/ the ratchets, etc.
    Most standard tent manufactures are not going to use the lightest materials, but instead, design for commercial sales & use, & less warranty issues.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bump - for reference from the Rain Sleeve thread.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

This thing works much much better than you might think however most people are right it's too heavy and until recently, too expensive.

i spent most of last week traveling by canoe in Algonquin Park with the Chrysalis. The suspension alone weights about 2 lbs so with a few slings and a hugger it could be made more portable. But for fishermen and canoeists this thing is wonderful as it is.

The two main things that most people don't realize about it is that it is not a symmetric caternary bridge hammock. It is wider at the shoulders and constructed so that more support is available at the upper body. The catenary is distorted to one end. There is also a cross-ways panel in the middle to give more room for your butt and i believe it is one of the most comfortable hammocks around.

The other major design difference is how shallow the catenary is and the extra width of the hammock. The hammock's sides do not compress your bag and reduce the loft. I slept at 29 degrees F with just a half inch CCF mat and my 3 season bag. Like a tent, the cover also helps to retain heat.

I didn`t have any problems with bugs although its the beginning of black fly season. I don`t think it really needs a full bug net. I admit to spraying a bit of permethrin to the underside of the hammock and seemed to keep everything away.

I have decided to pass my gathered end hammocks on to my kids and just stay with this one. At the moment I`m making a DIY version in `dusty rose` coloured polyester and I`ll let you what it ends up weighing in at when I`m finished.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketrobinhood View Post
    This thing works much much better than you might think however most people are right it's too heavy and until recently, too expensive.

i spent most of last week traveling by canoe in Algonquin Park with the Chrysalis. The suspension alone weights about 2 lbs so with a few slings and a hugger it could be made more portable. But for fishermen and canoeists this thing is wonderful as it is.
    Oh, I'm so jealous! Nothing to do with the hammock - it's spending a week in Algonquin. Bet you left feeling it wasn't long enough.

Cabellas has this down to $119. My question is this. . .many on this forum appear to be backpackers. I am a canoe/kayak camper and the tent I currently use if around the 5 lbs.

The weight in the Chrysalis appears to be in the spreader bars and the ties/buckle straps. Would you be able to use PVC or lighter bars, and replace the straps with lighter ropes? I would imagine you could cut the weight by 2-3 pounds doing this.

I also saw options for this of a screen top to replace the tent style top, a much larger rain fly and even a full mesh surround screen.

My question is weight aside, this hammock appears that it would be more comfortable then the gathered end types, and would handle colder temps with must a closed cell pad.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Man $119 sparks my interest.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

that's what I thought. For that price, if I don't like it. . I'll put it on Craiglist and get my money back. Lifetime guarantee too

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast