Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Nimbus whoopies

So I was getting a few things off of Amazon last week and I came across a great deal on some whoopies from Nimbus Hammock. They are 4mm, black, have reflective tracers and came with 2 free 4mm soft shackles for like $20. I know getting them from a cottage vendor would mean better quality but I just decided to get them since Im on a budget and was already ordering a few other things on Amazon anyway. They came on time and I put them on my new HH Expedition over the weekend. My questions are this : has anyone used this brand before? What is the standard distance on other whoopies from the bottom of the adjustable loop to where the tail exits ? 4 mm is thicker than 7/16 right? Is this over kill? They have plenty of adjustability, but seem really short between the loop and tail. Does this matter at all ? I tried attaching my typhoon rain fly to them like you would normally but its so short the prussiks ended up on the adj. loop. Plus the fixed tail is so short I hardly had enough to put them on properly. The tail is vary close to the hammock body. I know I got what I paid for, etc. etc.... Just need to know if these will work or should I send them back BC they were not made properly. Thanks....IMG_20160906_101500.jpgIMG_20160906_101833.jpgIMG_20160906_102127.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Was there a weight rating on these?

I've made my own whoopies several times and have not tried these, but the distance from the fixed bury to the adjustable loop doesn't appear out of the ordinary. Like you, I found that I could no longer use my prussics on my HH tarp, but more because the prussic won't hold on the amsteel than for any other reason. If you need more room to try, though, maybe instead of putting the fixed loop through the holes in the hammock body, make (or buy) an 8-inch loop and use that. Then larks head onto the fixed loop. That might move the whoopie out far enough to catch the prussic. However, it will also have the effect of lengthening your minimum tree distance for your hanging.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have no idea if your whoopies are made correctly, cause I stopped using whoopies a while ago.

What I do know is that your view is incredible. Enjoy it!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Was there a weight rating on these?

I've made my own whoopies several times and have not tried these, but the distance from the fixed bury to the adjustable loop doesn't appear out of the ordinary. Like you, I found that I could no longer use my prussics on my HH tarp, but more because the prussic won't hold on the amsteel than for any other reason. If you need more room to try, though, maybe instead of putting the fixed loop through the holes in the hammock body, make (or buy) an 8-inch loop and use that. Then larks head onto the fixed loop. That might move the whoopie out far enough to catch the prussic. However, it will also have the effect of lengthening your minimum tree distance for your hanging.
    They say tested to 1400kgs for the 4mm size I got and 700 for the 3mm. Other than that it just says made from UHMWPE. I'll have to try just using a small CL on the hammock maybe then and larks head to that. The view, yeah its awesome hu? To the left of me is the North East river and to the right is the head of the Chesapeake Bay. Directly across is Elk Neck State Park and its lighthouse thats on a 80m bluff looking down the bay. This past weekend I set up my HH and did an over night on the big community beach next to my house. There are about 20 old metal pipes that are 7' high from the old pier/ boat launch that are spaced perfectly for a hammock. So I was literally 20' from the water with a nice breeze... Beautiful!!! Normally I just put it up in the front yard and look out at the water till I fall asleep tho lol...
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

That is one HECK of a nice view. Jealous!
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Nimbushammock.com for pics and full discription , same as Amazon's.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    That is one HECK of a nice view. Jealous!
    Thanks! The only down side is that the when the sun comes up , its right in my face and usually wakes me up or heats me up if I hang in the front ( water side) yard and forget to drop the tarp low enough. But for the view and sound of the waves putting me to sleep I can deal with it lol. I cant honestly complain though, it is beautiful.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Says they're made of UHMWPE so assuming it's good quality, in 4mm it should be stronger than 7/64 Amsteel (or 1/8 for that matter) but the fact they don't actually state a weight rating (but do for the soft shackles?) bothers me. $20 isn't exactly cheap either.

Other than that I don't know and can't see enough to say if they're OK.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apsilon View Post
    Says they're made of UHMWPE so assuming it's good quality, in 4mm it should be stronger than 7/64 Amsteel (or 1/8 for that matter) but the fact they don't actually state a weight rating (but do for the soft shackles?) bothers me. $20 isn't exactly cheap either.

Other than that I don't know and can't see enough to say if they're OK.
    The weight rating is for the whoopies I'm assuming, but the shackles are made of the same size and type of material. They are fairly thick compaired to the smaller ( 2or3mm I think) whoopies I got before from the same company which are made from the same stuff. They do seem to be not woven super tight like what I see in pics on here of other peoples whoopies from a cottage vendor say, but I don't know if that's BC of the large size or BC they have reflective fibers woven into them also or if they are a lower quality or what. So far they have worked OK. I know Nimbus hammock sells the whoopies I got, but what company makes UHMWPE "Amsteel" sized in millimeters instead of fractions of an inch? Everyone here uses a 7/64th size for the most part correct? Does anyone else use a metric sized/ labeled material? What's the difference between mine and let's say 1/8" whoopies from a cottage vendor, they are pretty c!ose in size right? I'll post some better pics today when I hang them later on this afternoon.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Well the weight rating is on the line of the soft shackles so....

They don't appear to be a tight weave compared to what you're seeing from others because they're not the same material. The UHMWPE rope you've got isn't woven the same as Amsteel so yes, it's a little looser. It's commonly used for vehicle winches these days instead of steel cable so it's plenty strong (assuming it's not from a dodgy manufacturer). I've never seen it with reflective trace so can't say that won't effect the rating but let's say it doesn't. 4mm UHMWPE is usually rated at a breaking strength of 1800kg (just shy of 4000lbs). 7/64 Amsteel Blue IIRC is 650kg (~1400lbs) and 1/8 at 1000kg (~2300lbs) so as you can see, assuming it's from a good manufacturer, what you have is easily up to the task.

I've never seen whoopies made out of it but as far as weight rating goes I don't think that's a concern. As I mentioned, my only concern is they don't state the weight rating which makes me wonder. Given you've already got them you may as well use them. Keep an eye on them for wear just as you would any suspension system.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast