Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images

Picked Up my UL

Hey all brandy new here kinda. I have been lurking for a few weeks now and joined this weekend. After some serious thought I went with the Clark UL. I want to give you all a little reason behind my going with a hammock rather than the generic ground tarp/ insert bug net setup. I went on a four day 80 mile hike in the High Uintas (MT range in Utah). We went way light to be able to walk the 20 mile+ days. However we got worked over the first day as a huge Thunder system moved its way through our area. Weather forecast was not nearly accurate enough for us to be totally prepared. (Our fault for sure to trust the weather man and not pack slightly heavier) We didn't die but came **** near it the first night as we got Pea sized hail falling in a complete side ways pattern. We made it to a good hiding place and hunkered down but we where totally wet by the time we setup camp and our sleeping courters. That was the first night and the rest of the nights where not much different but slightly less evil. When we got home the first thing I did was to look into a way to get the heck off the ground and keep myself from having to sleep on already wet areas. Enter the Hammock.

1. It seems to fit what i will use it for. (Backpacking as light as I can with comfort as the #1 and #2 reasons)
    2. It is sold in my home town. (always spend locally if possible)
    3. Was able to go to the Factory speak with Gary personnely and try out one of his Hammocks (Gary is a stand up guy)
    4. Seemed to me to be the most features for the least amount of cashola.
    5. Will deff help in keeping me off the hard ground and crushing my back. (Had back surgery a year ago that removed some of my disc that was blown inward crushing my nerves from an old injury I had when I was in Highschool, never really hurt until ummmmmm..... I got OLD. 35 yrs. )

I went to the factory after ordering it over the Net to pick up the unit. On first unpacking the thing in my car in the parking lot of the Factory I noticed the sweet construction and the nice light weight even in the box. (No I couldn't wait to get home before I opened it. ) My biggest question which I am sure I will figure out out with some messing around, how to hang the tarp prior to setting up the hammock as to not get it wet in crummy weather. So tonight will be the first time sleeping in one that is a full system rather than a hammock and separate bug net with a simple tarp strung over the whole deal. I am so excited I am gonna bust outta work early (hope my boss dosn't role here LOL) and get to setting it up. Yes I am writing this while at work. I am going to repost tomorrow to let yall know how it went. Oh yeah also useing the old CCF pad with wings and Trck shade as warmth for now until I can afford an UQ. I am also a huge DIYer so i am going to add a weather shield to the outside of the bug net with some 1.1 breathable ripstop to add some more protection (The UL does not have the option that the larger models do that adds this to the unit. I will also make it so I can remove it completely so I don't have to take the extra weight if I will not need it. But we all know now that I do not do so well with planning for bad situations so I may just keep it as part of my setup. I also purchased the XL tarp because after seeing the standard I will deff need more area as I like to hang around my setup when I am at camp and like the idea of having a ton of shade/ rain protection. CYa soon.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Hope you have a great hang and look forward to reading your first report!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wow! You're downright giddy; I like that.

Opening in the parking lot had me laughing because I used to run home when the mighty internet told me a package had been delivered. I'd then take it back to the office and hang between two of the trees. Good thing I had an understanding boss.

Hope your first night out is a huge success! Be sure to report in the morning when you get to work.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Wow! You're downright giddy; I like that.

Opening in the parking lot had me laughing because I used to run home when the mighty internet told me a package had been delivered. I'd then take it back to the office and hang between two of the trees. Good thing I had an understanding boss.

Hope your first night out is a huge success! Be sure to report in the morning when you get to work.
    Yeah I am sucker for new gear regardless if it is backpacking/motorcycling/computer gear. I love to get new stuff because I rarely do and when I do it has been a long time coming. Honestly I love this thing it so much fun to figure it out and get it set up perfect. I cant wait to get it out on the trail for some serious use.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wow! Sounds like you've got the perfect place to be testing.Cool!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Wow! Sounds like you've got the perfect place to be testing.Cool!
    Yeah even outside of hanging I have to say I am a very lucky man to have found my home.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Well I guess I gotta ask ya It sounds like you like your Clark I could be wrong

I am glad your getting the hang of it if your using a bag lay the bad down so zipper is up and unzipped that way when you sit down in it all you have do is swing your legs in and zip up if you get hot just unzip enough to vent or unzip all the way down to get big relief. There are two sides to this besides being easier to get into it also keeps zipper off hammock body if you are one to worry about that.

keep on keeping on and it only gets better.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Great call on the XL canopy!

Just make sure you don't make the same mistake most all Clarkers make the first time by setting it up too tight. Keep playing with it until you find just the right hang to suit you. Once you get that, it's coma.

You should find plenty of support and great ideas here. I joined recently myself and everyone seems to be great.

Blessings!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Hey all brandy new here kinda. I have been lurking for a few weeks now and joined this weekend. After some serious thought I went with the Clark UL. I want to give you all a little reason behind my going with a hammock rather than the generic ground tarp/ insert bug net setup. I went on a four day 80 mile hike in the High Uintas (MT range in Utah). We went way light to be able to walk the 20 mile+ days. However we got worked over the first day as a huge Thunder system moved its way through our area. Weather forecast was not nearly accurate enough for us to be totally prepared. (Our fault for sure to trust the weather man and not pack slightly heavier) We didn't die but came **** near it the first night as we got Pea sized hail falling in a complete side ways pattern. We made it to a good hiding place and hunkered down but we where totally wet by the time we setup camp and our sleeping courters. That was the first night and the rest of the nights where not much different but slightly less evil. When we got home the first thing I did was to look into a way to get the heck off the ground and keep myself from having to sleep on already wet areas. Enter the Hammock.

1. It seems to fit what i will use it for. (Backpacking as light as I can with comfort as the #1 and #2 reasons)
    2. It is sold in my home town. (always spend locally if possible)
    3. Was able to go to the Factory speak with Gary personnely and try out one of his Hammocks (Gary is a stand up guy)
    4. Seemed to me to be the most features for the least amount of cashola.
    5. Will deff help in keeping me off the hard ground and crushing my back. (Had back surgery a year ago that removed some of my disc that was blown inward crushing my nerves from an old injury I had when I was in Highschool, never really hurt until ummmmmm..... I got OLD. 35 yrs. )

I went to the factory after ordering it over the Net to pick up the unit. On first unpacking the thing in my car in the parking lot of the Factory I noticed the sweet construction and the nice light weight even in the box. (No I couldn't wait to get home before I opened it. ) My biggest question which I am sure I will figure out out with some messing around, how to hang the tarp prior to setting up the hammock as to not get it wet in crummy weather. So tonight will be the first time sleeping in one that is a full system rather than a hammock and separate bug net with a simple tarp strung over the whole deal. I am so excited I am gonna bust outta work early (hope my boss dosn't role here LOL) and get to setting it up. Yes I am writing this while at work. I am going to repost tomorrow to let yall know how it went. Oh yeah also useing the old CCF pad with wings and Trck shade as warmth for now until I can afford an UQ. I am also a huge DIYer so i am going to add a weather shield to the outside of the bug net with some 1.1 breathable ripstop to add some more protection (The UL does not have the option that the larger models do that adds this to the unit. I will also make it so I can remove it completely so I don't have to take the extra weight if I will not need it. But we all know now that I do not do so well with planning for bad situations so I may just keep it as part of my setup. I also purchased the XL tarp because after seeing the standard I will deff need more area as I like to hang around my setup when I am at camp and like the idea of having a ton of shade/ rain protection. CYa soon.
    OK So had a bunch of stuff going on when I came home so I had to setup in the dark. Used a big old flood lamp so I could see "OK", but was still a bit troublesome. However got the hang of tightening the Bowmans knot without loosing my hang tension. Once I was able to do that easily enough I set the right hight and then made the all known breakage tension on the tarp center line. Got it correct the first time as I figured that I should make it tight enough to make the tarp tight but not enough so to raise the hammock body. I didn't have enough light to stretch the tarp so i let it drape over to one side. I used my winged CCF Pad out of the gate and got in my sleeping bag after a bunch of wiggling around (Figure I should be able to cut that time down once I get my sweet spot) and zipped up the bug net. There was a perfect breeze not really constant or even constant in one direction so i was go to go right. Well it was kinda warm last night (Didn't check the temp) and in about 3 minutes I was actually sweating. ( I was sold right there) Unzipped my bag and just used it as a quilt, 3 minutes later still sweating. So I pulled my legs out and slept on top of the darn bag. (Oh yeah 20D REI down bag with my skivvies and a T-shirt on). Slept like a baby for a few hours and then woke up a little chilled pulled the bag over one leg and woke up in the morning to one of my dogs poking the hammock because my wife had let them out for their morning stroll around the yard. Oh yeah this was the best part of last night. While I was hanging in my kit last night before I fell asleep I was graced with a small herd of 5-6 Elk slowly walking through my yard about 10-20 yrds from me. Didn't wanna scare them and make them run right into me so I didn't turn on my headlamp to see the actual distance. But it was waaaaaay sweet to be right there. I could hear them grunting and bleating to each other as they pasted, real special for my first hang couldn't ask for more. Got the go ahead to try again tonight so I went ahead and selected a much better place to setup, used a weedeater and mowed down a nice area around two perfect Aspen trees in my yard. I live in up the Mts. so I kinda have woods all around my house. I was able to stretch out my tarp all nice and level and even have back up stakes in the ground where all I need todo is move the tie lines to them just in case it rains.(Have cups on them now so they will be easily found at night) Tonight should be twice as comfy as I think i have the heat bit sorted out, and I also have the tarp all stretched out so i should have a nice breeze. may end up being to cold but I can always slide and zip into my bag which should be over the top anyway. Thanks again for all your help here I will deff be a regular and hope to maybe add some useful help once I am seasoned.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Oh yeah this was the best part of last night. While I was hanging in my kit last night before I fell asleep I was graced with a small herd of 5-6 Elk slowly walking through my yard about 10-20 yrds from me. Didn't wanna scare them and make them run right into me so I didn't turn on my headlamp to see the actual distance. But it was waaaaaay sweet to be right there. I could hear them grunting and bleating to each other as they pasted, real special for my first hang couldn't ask for more. ...... I live in up the Mts. so I kinda have woods all around my house. ......
    Hey, what town are you in with Elk going through your yard? I used to live in Layton and also Fruit Heights area between SLC?/Boulder and Layton. I loved the High Uintahs and Wasatch. In fact, if there is a problem on this Septs trip to the Wind Rivers, we may go to the Uintahs as an alternate. Great country!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast