Thread: Picked Up my UL

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Well I guess I gotta ask ya It sounds like you like your Clark I could be wrong

I am glad your getting the hang of it if your using a bag lay the bad down so zipper is up and unzipped that way when you sit down in it all you have do is swing your legs in and zip up if you get hot just unzip enough to vent or unzip all the way down to get big relief. There are two sides to this besides being easier to get into it also keeps zipper off hammock body if you are one to worry about that.

keep on keeping on and it only gets better.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    OK So had a bunch of stuff going on when I came home so I had to setup in the dark. Used a big old flood lamp so I could see "OK", but was still a bit troublesome. However got the hang of tightening the Bowmans knot without loosing my hang tension. Once I was able to do that easily enough I set the right hight and then made the all known breakage tension on the tarp center line. Got it correct the first time as I figured that I should make it tight enough to make the tarp tight but not enough so to raise the hammock body. I didn't have enough light to stretch the tarp so i let it drape over to one side. I used my winged CCF Pad out of the gate and got in my sleeping bag after a bunch of wiggling around (Figure I should be able to cut that time down once I get my sweet spot) and zipped up the bug net. There was a perfect breeze not really constant or even constant in one direction so i was go to go right. Well it was kinda warm last night (Didn't check the temp) and in about 3 minutes I was actually sweating. ( I was sold right there) Unzipped my bag and just used it as a quilt, 3 minutes later still sweating. So I pulled my legs out and slept on top of the darn bag. (Oh yeah 20D REI down bag with my skivvies and a T-shirt on). Slept like a baby for a few hours and then woke up a little chilled pulled the bag over one leg and woke up in the morning to one of my dogs poking the hammock because my wife had let them out for their morning stroll around the yard. Oh yeah this was the best part of last night. While I was hanging in my kit last night before I fell asleep I was graced with a small herd of 5-6 Elk slowly walking through my yard about 10-20 yrds from me. Didn't wanna scare them and make them run right into me so I didn't turn on my headlamp to see the actual distance. But it was waaaaaay sweet to be right there. I could hear them grunting and bleating to each other as they pasted, real special for my first hang couldn't ask for more. Got the go ahead to try again tonight so I went ahead and selected a much better place to setup, used a weedeater and mowed down a nice area around two perfect Aspen trees in my yard. I live in up the Mts. so I kinda have woods all around my house. I was able to stretch out my tarp all nice and level and even have back up stakes in the ground where all I need todo is move the tie lines to them just in case it rains.(Have cups on them now so they will be easily found at night) Tonight should be twice as comfy as I think i have the heat bit sorted out, and I also have the tarp all stretched out so i should have a nice breeze. may end up being to cold but I can always slide and zip into my bag which should be over the top anyway. Thanks again for all your help here I will deff be a regular and hope to maybe add some useful help once I am seasoned.
    RTR, there are much better ways to attach a hammock to a tree than using a bowline that allow for faster setup\takedown and adjustments. For me the fewer knots when setting up anything, the better (and faster too!). When I get a chance, I'll take a few pics of mine to post. I also found something on Youtube that looks like it's worth a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFHEQOqX7vQ&NR=1

These come in 2 sizes and are only around $17.00 for the 500 lb weight limit size and thats per pair!!!

http://samplerewards.com/index.cfm?f...oReview_ID=110

Blessings!
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 08-24-2008 at 17:22.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Those 'tensioners' are from Hitchcraft, and there has been a lot of discussion about them on the forum in the past.

That being said, using rope (with no webbing or tree hugger) is not advisable. Many of the softer-barked tree varieties can sustain damage. The last thing that we as hammockers need to do is harm the trees, thus giving anyone a reason to limit hammocks in parks, preserves, public forests, etc.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    That tensioner looks like a variation of some more modern belay devices. I'm not a climber so I may be off base there... but it looks kind of similar.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Those 'tensioners' are from Hitchcraft, and there has been a lot of discussion about them on the forum in the past.

That being said, using rope (with no webbing or tree hugger) is not advisable. Many of the softer-barked tree varieties can sustain damage. The last thing that we as hammockers need to do is harm the trees, thus giving anyone a reason to limit hammocks in parks, preserves, public forests, etc.
    Very true. Of course it may not occur to people until it has been pointed out, but using rope directly against the tree bark can give us hammockers a black eye<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Heber City. About 30 minutes from Park City. But I live about 10 miles outside of the town proper.
    I knew it, I started to say Heber! ( Don't know why I knew it, I just had a feeling I guess) Where Bart the Bear used to live, before he died! And close to Mt. Timpanogas (SP?), where old Jeremiah Johnson was filmed, where JJ met Bear Claw! Love that country!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

layton

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey, what town are you in with Elk going through your yard? I used to live in Layton and also Fruit Heights area between SLC?/Boulder and Layton. I loved the High Uintahs and Wasatch. In fact, if there is a problem on this Septs trip to the Wind Rivers, we may go to the Uintahs as an alternate. Great country!
    Thats cool, grew up in layton. Lived up above highway 89. Parents still there. Great place and you cant beat the high uintahs

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Hey just to let everyone understand I do use tree hugger's and have after a bunch of searching on this forum found a sweet way to adjust my hammock.. Basically I made my own set but they are almost exactly like the JRB Tri-glides. I just used old climbing harness's cinch buckles and some webbing from old ratchet straps for tying down motorcycles with a tensile strength of 400Lbs.

Also someone brought up the mechanism for tightening the ropes and likened it to some kinda climbing belay system. That is 100 percent correct works almost exactly like a Gri-Gri. If you don't know what that is just Wikipedia it and it should show right up. I tried to add a link to it but it came out all mumble jumbled. Yeah those things are idiot proof when it comes to Belaying someone also good to use for self belaying as well. Let go of the rope and everything stops right there. Pull the rope back down and she slides with ease.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    Well I guess I gotta ask ya It sounds like you like your Clark I could be wrong

I am glad your getting the hang of it if your using a bag lay the bad down so zipper is up and unzipped that way when you sit down in it all you have do is swing your legs in and zip up if you get hot just unzip enough to vent or unzip all the way down to get big relief. There are two sides to this besides being easier to get into it also keeps zipper off hammock body if you are one to worry about that.

keep on keeping on and it only gets better.
    Dude your You Tube Videos are one of the reasons I went with the Clark. Almost Star Stuck that your replying to my Post. Watched them a few times to get the total idea set in my head. The sleeping bag with zipper up accidentally happens to be the way I slept last night. Worked like a champ to be able to get in and out and to vent and adjust heat. Will be my practice from here on out. Yeah didn't think of the abrasion the zipper can cause and with that system no worries. Also looked at temps prior to getting in the kit and after waking up. 50D when I got in and 42 when i woke up. Slept with no issues this time. Woke once to natures call. I think i am getting this hanging stuff, can't wait to field test my newly learned knowledge.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Great I am glad that the video's helped. we are in the low 60s here and have been testing some new stuff well let you know how it goes.

Take a Gator aid bottle in the hammock with you then you don't even have to
    get out of the hammock this is a plus in the winter time..

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast