HH
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbridge/Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies

I have a wool blanket--now what?

I am a new hammock camper, and loving it! I haven't had any trouble staying warm so far with a ccf pad and a down sleeping bag--but it is June, in Tennessee. I will definitely be needing some more insulation in the cooler months. I would love to buy a great underquilt, but trying to save money and do it myself.

I've been reading some of the threads on wool, and I think it could potentially work for me. I primarily kayak camp, and have adequate storage space in my boat, so the weight and even the bulk isn't really much of a problem for me. Wool also works reasonably well when wet, which is a plus for a boater. Down is great, but expensive, doesn't handle wetness, and the bonus of compressing small and light isn't all that important to me. So wool is sounding even better.

I have a couple of wool army blankets from the surplus store. What do you hammock gurus think would be the best way to use them? It's really scarey to think of cutting into them, it is a one-shot deal, so I don't want to waste them! I had a couple of ideas--making an UQ, and making a "pillowcase" for an SPE-a blue pad with wings.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kathy the Weaver

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbridge/Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Oh, and I should add that I also have an old synthetic sleeping bag that could be made into an UQ in place of the wool. Just considering all my options. I sleep cold.

Kathy

Interesting idea - I think I have 1 or 2 of these blankets running around my camping shelf. It might work well as part of a double layer hammock. if it was cut to the shape of the second layer and buttoned on to your regular hammock it could get pretty snug.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
    Oh, and I should add that I also have an old synthetic sleeping bag that could be made into an UQ in place of the wool. Just considering all my options. I sleep cold.

Kathy
    This. Lotsa threads on how to do this...it works.

SPEs work, too, but I wouldn't cut up a perfectly good wool blanket to make one. Fleece on top, and nylon on the bottom would be good.

Blankets are for sleeping under.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I'd check the vintage of those Army blankets before cutting into them. Some from WWI can be worth hundreds of dollars, and those from WW2 are getting up there in price too. The problem for most folk is that Army blankets used from about 1911-1970 look nearly identical. It takes an expert eye to tell the difference.

I bought an old Army blanket from a guy while I was vacationing in Vermont. He was using it to cover furniture while moving it into his antique store. He charged me $60 for it and I could see him laughing at me as I drove away. When I got home to Texas I sold it for $250. I laughed a little then, myself. It was a rare Cavalry variation of the M1911 blanket.

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I had the same idea but in stead of using an army blanket I used a cheep fleece blanket. I did not want to cut it up until I had tested the "warm weather" underquilt. Solution... Take some very small mason line and whip end the corners and clip to your suspension. This way you can test size and also see it it too hot or not warm enough. After testing I made my cuts and put very small eyelets in the corners to attach the rigging (because my thread injector is broken right now).

I agree I don't know I would cut up a good army blanket.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've got a Vietnam era army blanket that I have used as an underquilt. I used a couple of big heavy duty safety pins to clip it onto the ridgeline and it just draped under the hammock. Worked pretty good, but I also used a zero degree bag in the hammock.

If you've got a double layer hammock, you could also just tape the blanket onto a blue ccf pad. I tried just sticking the blanket in the double layer pocket, but it bunched up. Taping it to the pad keeps it spread out.

If weight is no object, wool is great insulation.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbridge/Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very good ideas, guys. I knew I could count on you! I will work with the wool blanket a couple of different ways and see how it works best. I would love to be able to save the cost of new UQ, while still staying warm!

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    i just made a summer UQ with a yard of ripstop and a military jacket liner. Ct the seams out and layed the jacket out flat, sewed it to the ripstop and basically made a 1/2 or 3/4 size light weight underquilt. You could do the same with the wool, and make it however long and wide you need it to be. Going for colder? Double the core region up with the wool for added warmth.

If weight and space will allow, heres is something I did. I found a twin size polyester insulated comforter on sale at Wal-Mart, $10, and my wife sewed it together folded in half, and added 11/2' grograin around all four sides. I added shock cord to each side and it works wonderful as an underquilt. Not too much work or money and fills a need. I want a lighter weight UQ for carrying, but this works. It would work well on your HH.

• + New Posts