Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images

Alternative to SMC rings

The device in the picture: is an industrial nylon sheave intended to fit on a 'biner to create a pulley. It was sold by REI back in the mid-60's along with other rescue devices for rock climbers. I would like to try it in my suspension system (where I now use an SMC descender ring) to reduce friction in a trucker's hitch and increase the bending radius of the lines that attach at that point. Unfortunately, I can only find one of the two I originally bought and can't find an identical or similar product on the web. Has anybody seen this or a similar device for sale within the last few years? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    b
    bob

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I just ran across this older post, and figured since there were no replies I might as well post up.

Similar devices are indeed widely available today. Petzl makes an "ultra light" pulley that's basically the same design. REI sells them.

http://www.rei.com/product/635117

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Many thanks, Mustardman. It does look very similar. One difference that I notice is that in the original the inner bore is shaped to fit the curve of a traditional 'biner while the current version seems to be shaped to fit a more-or-less straight shaft. I'll have to look more closely at the actual product the next time I'm near an REI store. Meanwhile, not having had a reply, I've given thought to using a nylon thimble such as those sold for use on smaller sailboats.
    bob

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    I also converged on this toroidal form in thinking about reducing abrasion and increasing bend radius. Round thimbles are available, though it appears that most of them are split (not entirely contiguous). Anyway, it seems easy enough to make some. Another option is to use an elbow of tubing (though I'm thinking more of augmenting sling eyes than of replacing rings). Why not replace the rings with toggles?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    I'd be wary of using the Petzl Ultralegere for this. They're very small, and they don't seem to be very strong. It's fine working (as intended) on a carabiner, but I'd be concerned about breaking suspending it on cordage.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Clark drip rings? I use them on one of my hammocks where I used to use a SMC for the purpose you describe. They're smaller than they look in the photo, and don't have a sharp surface or a seam on them. They weigh 3/8 ounce. I'm looking across the room at my sewing machine and wondering if bobbins would work too. They're cheap and weigh 1/8 ounce but do have a metal seam sealing the center cylinder.

This is an old thread. I'll bet Greybeard has figured something out by now.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    .....This is an old thread. I'll bet Greybeard has figured something out by now.
    Actually, I haven't. I was leaning in the direction of 5/16" or 3/8" nylon thimbles sold by boating, especially sailing, chandlers when I was handed a diagnosis of chronic Lyme disease with a multi-year recovery prognosis. Just thinking about wilderness canoe camping to remote areas was too depressing. I packed up the hammock and newly-minted PenTarp and forced myself to occupy my mind along more sedentary avenues. It didn't work. Canoe camping seems to be at least as solidly ensconced in this old bod' as the Lyme spirochete.
    bob

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Not being able to indulge this addiction would be devastating. Here's hoping your future holds fewer Borellia and more paddling.

At least Hammock Forums is a sedentary activity!
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

• + New Posts