Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers

Aluminum or stainless Dutchware?

Hi Dutch,

I hope I'm not being sacrilegious, but have you ever considered offering your various "do-dads" in Aluminum or stainless vs. Titanium? The Titanium stuff is so cool, sexy, great for the ultralight hikers... But for folks who do not need the ultra-light advantage, Other metals might be an attractive alternative. $18 for a set of Ti Dutch clips is a great deal and a true value, a set of Stainless Dutch clips at $9 might sell too (just an example)...

I'm just a noob so please don't take this suggestion the wrong way
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ CUSTOM HANGER
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    DUTCH CB/CUSTOM
    There is no way a stainless version would be half price of titanium, aluminum wouldn't be strong enough with the size to strength ratio, material costs are not much different in sheet material if you know where to shop. The Labor is where it is at, material may vary 1 or 2 dollars for the size of those and at the price Dutch sells them for I wouldn't even turn on our laser or waterjet to spend the time to cut them. I have the means to easily make everything Dutch sells, it is such a good deal from Dutch I buy it and happy to support the guy doing it. I would buy the Ti and be very happy, I have Dutch bling on all my setups

I did however machine my own FJR risers before there was such a thing on the market

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It isn't a bad idea, but have you seen the amount of products I offer? I am barely keeping up with it and to think of doubling it boggles my mind. However for Dutch Clips you are in luck, I started with aluminum ones and you can still buy them at JRB for $13...
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/dutch-clips/
    Last edited by Dutch; 06-24-2014 at 19:48.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It isn't a bad idea, but have you seen the amount of products I offer. I am barely keeping up with it and to think of doubling it boggles my mind. However for Dutch Clips, I start with aluminum ones and you can still buy them at JRB...
    We don't want your mind boggled...keep it clear and creative! We love Dutch Creativity and Innovation.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It isn't a bad idea, but have you seen the amount of products I offer? I am barely keeping up with it and to think of doubling it boggles my mind. However for Dutch Clips you are in luck, I started with aluminum ones and you can still buy them at JRB for $13...
    Thanks for the consideration Dutch. You've got great stuff, we all appreciate the support you have for the community. I'll pickup a pair of the aluminum at JRB, but still get a pair of the sexy Titanium from you. The aluminum will go to my grand kids so I don't have to worry about them losing them 😉
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    ...so I don't have to worry about them losing them ��
    Insert Dutch Clip in tree strap end loop, hand stitch a couple of stitches through the loop close to the dutch clip to lock it in place. Problem solved.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Insert Dutch Clip in tree strap end loop, hand stitch a couple of stitches through the loop close to the dutch clip to lock it in place. Problem solved.
    Great idea. If I ever get any I'll make sure to do that.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Cheap alternatives for kids or after loss

This is the wisest thing to do and people have been doing it for years ever since Dutch first introduced his first aluminum clips. Before that people sewed in their carabiners which inherently stayed in place better but still got lost easily by kids. Climbing carabiners can sometimes be purchased in volume for about $4 each but weight at least twice as much as Dutch Clips. Kids and some adults will lose everything especially small items, carry a spare or know knots and hitches such as MSH.
    Primary cost in this hardware is in labor and shipping this is why Ti makes sense. Personally I am frustrated that no major climbing company mass produces a Ti 25 kN carabiner for multiple purpose (due to rope size and price point is my guess). RL carabiner by Dutch is really useful but limited.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    FWIW, I like the aluminum Dutch clips better. The gap at the bottom is just a bit smaller, so they can be hooked onto a 7/64" whoopie sling for transport and not slip off. This doesn't affect the way they hang a hammock, though. There may be other ways in which the ti clips are better. I suspect they are stronger, but the aluminum ones are plenty strong enough.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Nice... Thanks... Its a great idea....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast