Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension

Close Calls / Widow Makers

Was just reading a couple replies to a post I made. The topic of Widow Makers was mentioned. Never had a close call in all my years of "tenting it" but did have the tops of a pine tree snap off, about a 20 foot section and land about 4 feet from our pop up camper. Got me wondering if anyone here had any close calls with falling/dead trees while hanging?
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    I think fronkey had a birch tree fall on him while he was walking. Imagine the odds, moving target and all.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    So far lucky but still working on my widowmaker identifying abilities!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Hunter View Post
    Was just reading a couple replies to a post I made. The topic of Widow Makers was mentioned. Never had a close call in all my years of "tenting it" but did have the tops of a pine tree snap off, about a 20 foot section and land about 4 feet from our pop up camper. Got me wondering if anyone here had any close calls with falling/dead trees while hanging?
    There is so much on this that there is an HBO series called the "Falling Dead". Ha Ha!

There have been at least 2 very close calls reported here, one where a tree fell on the empty hammock of kwpapke I think way back. And one more recent with an occupied hammock? Very close call on that one. This is a very significant hazard!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was laying in my hammock last week at Groundhog Creek Shelter (the next shelter after Davenport Gap if you're heading north on the AT) when a big limb fell about 20' from me. I'll admit that I didn't look up at all when I picked my site. It was raining and had been for about 2 hours. I looked for wind/rain direction but didn't properly scout up.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I mentioned it once before, but I had a very, very close call a couple of years ago. I had pitched my tent after dark next to a little stream: it was a nice enough spot from what I could tell. I was in my Hennessy testing it out, making sure that everything was hunky-dory before I headed over to meet the rest of my group for a very late dinner. I felt myself slowly lower to the ground and heard noise that was growing louder and louder until... CRASH. The tree I had anchored my foot-end to had pulled out by the roots and was now laying six inches from my shoulder.

I lay still for a minute (it would have taken too long to get out of the Hennessy to run away regardless) and then squirmed out. I was MUCH more careful when I picked my next trees, I'll tell you that.

By the time I got to the others, they asked about the sound. They, being unenlightened ground-dwellers, thought it was pretty funny and teased me for quite a while. In fact, they still do. I put up with their ribbing because (a) I kinda deserve it, and (b) I would rather be teased that be dead.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I can't tell you how many times I have setup only to discover a widow maker that I missed upon my first check. I always move. I seem to pay way more attention now than when I was a tenter.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post
    I mentioned it once before, but I had a very, very close call a couple of years ago. I had pitched my tent after dark next to a little stream: it was a nice enough spot from what I could tell. I was in my Hennessy testing it out, making sure that everything was hunky-dory before I headed over to meet the rest of my group for a very late dinner. I felt myself slowly lower to the ground and heard noise that was growing louder and louder until... CRASH. The tree I had anchored my foot-end to had pulled out by the roots and was now laying six inches from my shoulder.

I lay still for a minute (it would have taken too long to get out of the Hennessy to run away regardless) and then squirmed out. I was MUCH more careful when I picked my next trees, I'll tell you that.

By the time I got to the others, they asked about the sound. They, being unenlightened ground-dwellers, thought it was pretty funny and teased me for quite a while. In fact, they still do. I put up with their ribbing because (a) I kinda deserve it, and (b) I would rather be teased that be dead.
    So, pulled out by the roots? How are we going to guard against that situation?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Some before and after shots one morning during my AT hike. I was in it when the tree I was attached to sudenly was lying beside me. I was trapped in the hammock for twenty minutes before I could find the zipper. There was no way I wanted to cut myself out of my new Dangerbird.

Miguel/ Cat in the Hat

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    That's a helluva advertisement for dutch clips... The tree will break before we bend...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast