Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Will baby powder permanently stain????

I've used my superfly a few times so far and each time I try to unpack it out of the stuff sack it is stick together so firmly that it feels like I'm about to rip it apart. Since i needed to seam seal the pull outs, I did that and after it cured I went ahead and sprinkled baby powder over the tarp trying to get it to not stick so bad. That's what ive read to do...and what I've done in the past to a tent tarp.
    Now there are huge white spots that won't come off even with a heavy water hosing.

Will that go away or just look ugly for the rest of my tarps life? It works at least...but sure looks ugly.

Anyone with experience in this?

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Why was it sticking together? Was it the seam seal sticking? Mine did this but I left it out for about a week to dry and it no longer sticks. I also put my tarp in snake skins which seems to help with this as well. Did you try some light soap and water on the area?

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The entire inner surface of the tarp will stick together so badly it's almost scary to pull it apart. They had it folded neatly in half with the inside surfaces stuck together. I figured after a few days or so it wouldn't do that anymore but it does. That's why I did the baby powder.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Here's what happened...after I seam sealed it and it cured I sprinkled baby powder on the seams and of course a little got onto the surrounding areas. Then the bulb went off in my head to go ahead and treat the whole thing since it works so good and I don't want to have to pry those surfaces apart again.
    I'll try a little soap and water and report back.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Yep, a bit of detergent (maybe some dawn dish soap) and water. Baby powder contains talc which is insoluble in water so even a good hosing won't really rinse it off. I bet it looked kind of like the water was just bouncing off the surface and it never really got wet. I did the same thing to a silnylon poncho to seal around the neck opening. It took a bit of scrubbing with a rag to remove the "overspray".

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Yep, a bit of detergent (maybe some dawn dish soap) and water. Baby powder contains talc which is insoluble in water so even a good hosing won't really rinse it off. I bet it looked kind of like the water was just bouncing off the surface and it never really got wet. I did the same thing to a silnylon poncho to seal around the neck opening. It took a bit of scrubbing with a rag to remove the "overspray".
    Thanks for sharing that experience...i was a little worried.
    I tried washing it off with a rag and soap after TrailSlug asked and it did help but i was worried about overly scrubbing on it. At least now it doesn't look so bad. Plus the tarp is so big it's real hard to find a place to put it except to hang it (didn't want to put it on the ground) and with it hanging there is no firm backing to get some good pressure on it.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Doesn't "stain" but the fine particles will stick forever without mechanical removal (i.e. soap and a brush). This is benneficial most of the time - like when treating the neck and arm gaskets on a drysuit or dry top for paddling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Some baby powder is made of talc, and some of corn starch. Some contains a mixture of both. Then you can get "medicated" powder that also contains zinc oxide and/or aloe vera and/or vitamin E and/or menthol (and probably other stuff).

Do you know *exactly* what you used on your tarp?

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Do you know *exactly* what you used on your tarp?
    looking at the bottle...talc

I washed it wish some soap and water and got it to an acceptable level. I still want the tarp to be able to get stuffed without sticking together.

At least now i have a peace of mind that i didn't ruin it!

I wish the cottage companies gave out a little more directions and information. I guess it's just the nature of the business. But when you buy something from the big boxed stores there is always some type of attempt at directions for installing or setting up or whatever. But the cottage companies seem to never do that. Yes i'm complaining but at the same time i do admit that i never read directions anyway because i'm a typical man. My wife fussed at me that i had to seam seal the pull-outs...they don't do that? why do they expect you to do that? Where's the directions...they just sent it to you with nothing? Same with all three hammocks i own. If i ever own a cottage brand i'll include instructions so that all the wives out there will chill.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I've been waterproofing my tents with 2 layers of Camp Dry, then allowing 48+ hours to dry. I've had to rub off some sticky excess with water and microfiber after 48 hours. Think that'll solve your problem?

• + New Posts