Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

1.1 & Taffeta

I am looking at making a new hammock. My original attempt is wonderful and I've begun sleeping in it full time, but it's a 1.7 double and I'm looking to lighten the load a bit. I am also looking at making a 50* TQ's and UQ's and two 0* full length quilt sets (all down). I will probably keep the 1.7d as my inside hammock or pass it onto my son.

I had originally thought of making a 1.1 dl but as I look through the forums I'm wondering if I should make one with an internal layer of 0.9 taffeta and the external 1.1. Has anyone done one like this? Is there a strength or comfort difference?

I also see Momentum 90, 50, crinkle taffeta, 30d, 70d and a lot of other names for the products that mean nothing to me. Can someone help translate these names that are "Greek to me?"

My last question, I'm looking for a supplier with reasonable prices and a relatively decent color selection. Because I am looking at making a number of different items, I'd prefer to be able to use some color to quickly see which quilt set is which. I'm looking for Navy, Royal, Black but am having a hard time finding these from the same vendor.
    The person who says that it can't be done, doesn't
    The person who says that it can be done, does it!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    http://thru-hiker.com/materials/breathable.php

A few color choices there,

The real question is how much do you weigh? I'm #210 and have a 1.1 single that I really like...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY "Phoenix" DL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm 6' 215# (I should've mentioned that in the first article)I'm looking to do the double so that I can add some thin insulation or a fleece blanket between layers for warmer nights (or at home) rather than carry an UQ on those trips.

I had looked at the Thru-Hiker page and they do have some different colors available. Is Momentum 50 durable enough for the quilts or does it wear pretty quickly? While I don't plan to abuse the equipment, I do plan to use it a lot with scouts and don't want to be resewing new equipment every season.

Would it be more comfortable for me to make a separate hammock for in home use with some more plush material? If so what would you suggest. I'm just too new to understand all of the fabric choices and the local fabric store can only help me with materials for a beautiful dress . . . Not my thing.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeDad View Post
    I'm 6' 215# (I should've mentioned that in the first article)I'm looking to do the double so that I can add some thin insulation or a fleece blanket between layers for warmer nights (or at home) rather than carry an UQ on those trips.

I had looked at the Thru-Hiker page and they do have some different colors available. Is Momentum 50 durable enough for the quilts or does it wear pretty quickly? While I don't plan to abuse the equipment, I do plan to use it a lot with scouts and don't want to be resewing new equipment every season.

Would it be more comfortable for me to make a separate hammock for in home use with some more plush material? If so what would you suggest. I'm just too new to understand all of the fabric choices and the local fabric store can only help me with materials for a beautiful dress . . . Not my thing.
    If you are trying to save weight, a 1.1 single is in the range. Depending upon the kind of UQ you make (I have a DIY M50, 50F, down, sewn through UQ) it can be lighter than taking a layer of fleece to put in between the layers of fabric.

I love the M50 for my quilts. Very light and as far as I can tell durable.

I do not have any experience with plush hammocks but I suppose you could go with faux fur.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeDad View Post
    I had originally thought of making a 1.1 dl but as I look through the forums I'm wondering if I should make one with an internal layer of 0.9 taffeta and the external 1.1. Has anyone done one like this? Is there a strength or comfort difference?
    I have!

I had a Blackbird tribute made for me out of 30D ACU ripstop outside, 20D micro ripstop interior. (I got my 20D fabric from OWF but it's the same as M90MR)

Yes, in this case there is noticeable stretch when you hit the 240-250lbs range; it isn't uncomfortably bad though. Some people find the M90 fabric to make the most comfortable hammock they've ever slept in. I wouldn't go that far; I much more prefer the way my DL1.7 WBBB sleeps, but the DIY version with the lighter fabrics is acceptable.

The final hammock weight with standard whoopies, dynaglidge ridgeline, Dutch Ti ridgebiner, in stuff sack is 20.5oz (no straps) about 18oz lighter than my authentic 1.7DL. I did use the .7oz nano see-um mesh from OWF instead of standard no see-um, which saved a couple ounces as well.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    [QUOTE=AtHomeDad;764746]I also see Momentum 90, 50, crinkle taffeta, 30d, 70d and a lot of other names for the products that mean nothing to me. Can someone help translate these names that are "Greek to me?"
    QUOTE]
    howdy neighbor,i know nothing about momentum.as far as i know 30d =1.1. 70d=1.9 the d or denier is a measure of thread count instead of weight.
    crinkle tafeta is polyester tablecloths and is 2.6 oz..these make very good at home hammocks.are allready hemmed.i bought from here
    http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/default.asp
    normally mon and tues there is a 15% off sale or free shipping.the free shipping is a better deal.i ordered some last mon and got free shipping and 15%off.hope this helps.
    bill
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I just got my order from Thru-Hiker on Momemtum 90 MR which is the Ripstop nylon,,and in a few days will have it rigged out with whoopies, RL, and Dutch Quilt hooks,,and will post pics of it in coyote brown. I really like the feel of this stuff and according to previous postings, Newtron has made a few in this fabric and feels its more durable. Will post a report as soon as its done.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY "Phoenix" DL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    After hearing from everyone I think that I will be going with the Momentum. I am 6' about 215# will a single M90 MR hold my weight or should I consider a DL with an outer of M90 and an inner of M50?

I think that I'm going to use M50 for the quilt sets.

Does anyone see any issues with this?

Is anyone familiar with the Nanonet? Does this stuff have the same strength as plain old noseeum?

@Fire, Thanks for the laugh. It brought back a Psychedelic 60's view of a bed! I was imagining beads and a mini lava lamp hanging from the ridgeline.

As I'm now sleeping nearly full time in a hammock I was looking for something more comfortable to the skin and still washable.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Personally, I think the M90 feels better next to skin than the M50.

I have used the Nano-seeum from thru-hiker for many years and I'm very happy with it. Be aware that it stretches a bit more than other netting so you have to maintain control of that while sewing it.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY "Phoenix" DL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the Heads up about the M90. Do you think that a single would be fine? I was originally going with a DL, but for weight I could drop the second layer if I wouldn't be deposited to the ground.

Is there any difference in feel between the M90 MR and the M90 T? Which feels better? Is there a strength difference?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast