ENO single nest
    Tarp
    OES maccat
    Insulation
    Nerves of steel
    Suspension
    Whoopies

para cord ridge line?

was wondering if 550 para cord (its legit no cheep string here) i know it is int suitable for suspension but could i use it for a SRL?
    "let us dare to read, think, speak and write"- john adams

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    I'm sure many of the "pros" here will disagree and say that you must use some kind of super line for this, but 550 works just fine for me. I use the same hammock and setup outdoors except I use straps instead of chains for suspension.

I have slept every night in an Eno DN indoors for several months now rigged with a 550 adjustable ridgeline and it works just fine. I'm sure a high dollar amsteel SRL would be lighter and stronger, but as we say in Texas, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I'm putting down about 240 lbs of ground pressure if you are concerned about strength.

The adjustable part? A simple taughtline hitch.

Does it stretch? Probably, but it's not enough to notice. Adjust to your liking and enjoy.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Yes, I've used it in the beginning, but it does stretch which doesn't keep your ridgeline set where you want it. It's not something I'd want to continue using, but to start out, and in order to just get out there and hang, go with it. (NOTE: not for your suspension though)

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The "pros" cautionl is that because paracord stretches, if it is used a structural ridge line, the hang will vary with the load and be unrepeatable unless everything about the hang is repeated.

For non-structural uses? String and a limited-length piece of shock-cord for adjustable length will do nicely. Who needs 550lb of breaking strength?

I'm looking at a new 180yd spool of waxed polyester 1 mm braided thread. Breaking strength is likely > 100lb, (poly has about 1/3 BS of Dyneema.) That will do nicely for non-structural purposes, too, @ $0.02 /ft.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You CAN use it. I prefer to use something with less stretch, as it really sucks to get your length dialed in and then have to keep readjusting it because your RL is stretching.

Use paracord for now, but what I suggest is: Take a cup, put all of your change into it all summer long, and then cash in the change and buy yourself a SRL from one of the cottage vendors on here.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    You might use paracord on an adjustable SRL, but I find Mason Line works quite well. At$6 for 500', it's much cheaper and lighter than paracord.

Hammock
    Butt In A Sling
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmike65 View Post
    You might use paracord on an adjustable SRL, but I find Mason Line works quite well. At$6 for 500', it's much cheaper and lighter than paracord.
    I have set up my tarp twice now with Mason line and was actually about to post on here asking if Mason line stretches because I just can't keep my under-tarp ridgeline tight. I have "#18 Premium Braided 100% Nylon". Is this supposed to stretch?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    But OP, just like most others, doesn't need 500 feet of masons line (of variable quality between and within spools). He needs just 10-15ft of quality cord.

Which, self-interestedly and without cats to play with it, I am long on. And he doesn't need to save pennies this summer (if he sends me $6 for an adjustable ridge-line with 450lb bs). $3 if he wants to make it himself.

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    Btw, I didn't mean to imply that there are not better solutions for a SRL, but the OP asked if 550 would work. In my case it does, or at least it has worked well enough for several months that I haven't even considered changing it out even though I use it full time. Everyone's needs and tolerances are different.

Sometimes, it is easy to discourage people from trying something because it's not the ultimate solution. I lurked around this forum for months before I finally bought my first hammock. I have 4 now. I only wish I had just gone for it and bought the first one sooner rather than waiting until I thought I knew enough and had enough money saved to make it work.

Just my .02.

• + New Posts