WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    ...I thought after my initial experience of making a tablecloth hammock......one of my whipped ends slipped on the 1st attempt....So seasoned hammock experts, good idea, good application of material or a newby looking to solve a problem that doesn't really exist?...
    I'd say "a newby looking to solve a problem that doesn't really exist". You simply didn't whip the ends tight enough or use enough wraps on the first attempt.

I like using Coleman (crappy) Utility Cord. It is similar to the gutted paracord suggested by hppyfngy and has just the right amount of stretch to get nice and tight. I use 7-8 wraps.

Another hint...using the whipping method you show (my favorite), don't cut the ends off when you're done. That way you can easily pull the whipping back apart and reuse the same cord as many times as you like.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Hey, I've been guilty of that in many areas!

As I've read the replies here I had been thinking about pulling both ends out of the opposite end and loosely tying whatever excess length is required to be able to reuse.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I'd say "a newby looking to solve a problem that doesn't really exist". You simply didn't whip the ends tight enough or use enough wraps on the first attempt.

I like using Coleman (crappy) Utility Cord. It is similar to the gutted paracord suggested by hppyfngy and has just the right amount of stretch to get nice and tight. I use 7-8 wraps.

Another hint...using the whipping method you show (my favorite), don't cut the ends off when you're done. That way you can easily pull the whipping back apart and reuse the same cord as many times as you like.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I also use the whipping you showed in the first post, with paracord. When I have whipped lines in the past I would leave the ends long and tie them in a surgeon's knot on the top of the whipping. Haven't done it that way on a hammock but it won't hurt anything and give you a visual that nothing has happened to the whipping
    i totally take back all those times i didn't want to nap when i was a kid

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth gathered end. 126x60
    Tarp
    DIY Assym SilNylon
    Insulation
    Down & synth
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopies
    Mason's line. Whip it about a dozen wraps (never 13...). Bob's-your-uncle.
    Transportation for Hiram Farm

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP:

Thanks for this superb reference. A pleasure to see excellence in this that is standard for maintainable systems of circuits.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/cabling/part5.htm

The specialized cord you later pointed to is........specialized,and interesting for its characteristics, specifically cushioning of the jacket and absent over-strength in the core.

Over-kill isn't exactly what this is, though. Its uniform excellence that is best appreciated in number. Also, to be honest, old-skool, from before the invention and further development of hook-and-loop (eg Velcro) ties, which can be very neatly applied, very strong, and now very inexpensive.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Very interesting read. Who would've known 2 years ago that I would ever need or care about information regarding cord, braided nylon, proper whipping, lashing and so on? Certainly not myself

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    You're most welcome. I still work around the communication industry and Velcro is a good product but wire ties particularly Thomas & Betts, nylon ties dominates the market and their rounded head with the metal tab are by far the best on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    OP:

Thanks for this superb reference. A pleasure to see excellence in this that is standard for maintainable systems of circuits.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/cabling/part5.htm

The specialized cord you later pointed to is........specialized,and interesting for its characteristics, specifically cushioning of the jacket and absent over-strength in the core.

Over-kill isn't exactly what this is, though. Its uniform excellence that is best appreciated in number. Also, to be honest, old-skool, from before the invention and further development of hook-and-loop (eg Velcro) ties, which can be very neatly applied, very strong, and now very inexpensive.

Hammock
    Noob… yet to buy.
    Admittedly, I've never whipped the end of a hammock… but something came to mind as I was reading the posts here: Nylon absorbs water & water vapor, and swells/elongates as a result. Therefore, no matter how tightly it's wrapped, it will loosen somewhat under high humidity conditions. Wouldn't polyester be a better material for whipping? It isn't affected by water.

PS: A freebie… because nylon does what it does with water, if you soak your weed trimmer line overnight, it'll not be as brittle and therefore last longer when trimming. You're welcome.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12