DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I sleep very warm compared to most, and I find that my threshold for CBS is about 65.

From 55 to 65, I can get by with a sit-pad-sized piece of CCF and my poncho liner top quilt. That's enough to keep my core warm, which keeps the rest of me warm. Below 55, I either need a full-sized pad or an underquilt.

I prefer a top quilt any time the temps dip below 70 or so. I'm good above 70 without (though I always bring one just in case the forecast is...not correct), and I actually prefer to do without above 75. Which is easy enough; I just kick it off.

Anyway, those are my thresholds. Most folks are probably 5 to 10 degrees warmer than that.

Using only a cheap blue CCF pad I have been able to sleep down into the 40s. When I tried it in the 30s I had to give it up: that was a bad, bad night. Seriously, wickedly bad.

I'm a pretty big guy, 6'2" and about 220 lbs, and have made do in all sorts of conditions above that, mostly with just the CCF pad and my 30F bag draped over me as a quilt.

Tomorrow night I'll be trying out my new DIY, <$10 Walmart underquilt in temps down to about 50F in the western Rockies. I'm bringing my Ridgerest pad (which a huge improvement over both the blue CCF pad or an inflatable Thermarest, by the way) just in case, but only as insurance: if the UQ doesn't do the trick, then I have the pad, too.

My first night is only about eight miles from the trailhead, but that's eight miles that I won't want to do in the dark, so I'm going to be prepared for new-equipment-failure. It seems the only sensible thing to do.

I recommend you do the same: bring along something you *know* will work until you become sufficiently experienced with the new stuff.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    My first overnight hang was on a river trip where the daytime temps were in the 90s and night temps were probably 70s. I was a total newbie and didn't know anything about pads/underquilts/or cold butt syndrome. I sure learned a lesson that night!!!!! One thing to remember with hammock sleeping, you have air moving under you which can really cool you down in a hurry. Bring your pad & bag. Better to have it and not need it, than freeze and wish you had it.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My 1st night out, I did not know about cold butt syndrome either and it got cold enough to frost the giblets, now I use a pad until I get around to getting an underquilt.
    "Think Outside the Tent"

Thanks again for everyone's advice...here is my report:

GOOD THING I asked!! it got down to 48...I would have been freezing!! but i did take my pad and had a SUPER comfortable night sleep. Think I have decided for the cost, weight and even comfort (now that I have figured out how to do it right), the pad is a better option for me than an underquilt.

When i 1/4 inflate the pad, i dont lose any of the comfort. It does get trickier getting in and out in the middle of the night, but not oppressively so. And i think i come out way ahead on the weight/pack size front too...all in all better option for me i think.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Great report. Glad it worked out do well.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i am a cold sleeper so for me any night time temp is low enough for me to use an UQ.
    Hops

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12