Tarp
    Speer 8x10 CatTarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    webbing & cinch
    Images

Repairing rip in bugnet.

just purchased a used HH and there is about a 3-4 inch rip in the bugnet, right where it is sewn together with the hammock.

Is this easy to repair? I don't really sew, never have, i was just wondering if it is relatively easy, or would i need someone else to do it.... or is it even important to repair it now? heck, i guess i am just a procrastinator.

thanks
    "I leave here believing more than I had, this love has got no ceiling" - Eddie Vedder

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post
    just purchased a used HH and there is about a 3-4 inch rip in the bugnet, right where it is sewn together with the hammock.
    If it's ripped right at the seam, maybe you could send the hammock to ZQ for a zipper installation?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The essential repair is probably no worse than sewing on a button, except that you will probably have to work around corners depending on where it is ripped, the easiest thing is probably to use a curved needle like the kind used in upholstery. The idea is to make a smal rolled hem in the bugnet to keep it from fraying. That is simply a matter of grabbing enuf fabric with the thread that it won't pull out. Then sewing the new hem to the hammock body. Reasonably simple with out a ton of sewing skill _required_.

However... if you are considering having the zipper mod done to the hammock, I agree this would be an ideal time to do it.

As to procrastination, that's a tough one. If the bug net will under stress then you need to fix it now before the stress makes the tear worse. If it will not be under stress than you probably don't NEED to fix it except to close the door on the bugs. Without seeing where the rip is it is a little tough to be any more specific. A pic would be helpful.

The zipper mod is sposed to be a wonderful asset to the hammock. Since I am cutting up perfectly serviceable hammocks to install BEEP* I probably won't have it done. But everyone who has has raved about them.

*Bottom Exit/Entry Portal
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts