hh expedition 2.5, snap-on edition
    Tarp
    Hm space blanket
    Insulation
    3/4L scored pad
    Suspension
    tree huggers

help with tarp

howdy yall, long time no see, any way. I'm 17yrs old, i sold a scooter not to long ago for 180$, since then i bought a 0 degree bag, a pad, and three failed attempts at a tarp. the first attempt was a piece of tyvek, it ripped in half, then i bought an sol brand sport utility blanket, fail, then i bought two emergency blankets and taped them together, it ripped, what more in options do i have? my hammock's stock tarp is about 10' by 4', its a pos. any ideas on what i could do?
    awwwww yeeaaah!!!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    You could try buying a tarp made for hammock camping

Being on a tight budget you can get one of the big blue poly tarps from the hardware store will do in the short term but plan to replace it after a few trips and plan for a good bit of weight and bulk. Moving up in cost there are some chines made sil tarps available from Campmore from time to time around $50 that will be ok, but count on grommets around the edges that will eventually pull out. Then you step up to things like the guide gear tarps, agian more weight but a better built tarp. Then for around $100 you get into quality built tarps made for hammock camping by the cottage vendors here. They will cost more but weigh less and be built better. There are a number of us and a variety of shapes, sizes, colors......so on and so forth.

At 17 your on the cusp of starting to learn that you will get what you pay for. Plastic and tyvek are cheap but not made for the use you applied them to...so you got very little for what you paid. Make an investment in your gear and you will get years of us.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    hh expedition 2.5, snap-on edition
    Tarp
    Hm space blanket
    Insulation
    3/4L scored pad
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    ooh, ouch. i figured i could at least have one hobby on the cheap, evidently that is not the case, I've already given up dirt bikes, cycling, and sailing. looks like hammocking/backpacking have to go to.
    awwwww yeeaaah!!!

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by evman View Post
    ooh, ouch. i figured i could at least have one hobby on the cheap, evidently that is not the case, I've already given up dirt bikes, cycling, and sailing. looks like hammocking/backpacking have to go to.
    Don't give up. It can be done on a budget. AHE and Wilderness Logics make great tarps in the $85-$95 range. You could also go with a Kelty Noah 9X9 for around $60. Lots of folks use the 9X9 and 12X12 Kelty Noah tarps. Keep your eye on the For Sale forum. A used Guide Gear tarp that needed a little TLC just sold for $27.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Campmor, they make good tarps for around $40.

Hammock
    GTUL or Tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    Kelty 9' footprint
    Insulation
    Pad + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    These Kelty tent footprints (groundsheets) on clearance are pretty cheap but will probably need some extra tabs attached to be more useful. Look up the tent to get an idea of the dimensions: http://www.kelty.com/c-sale.aspx as discussed here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=53990
    Last edited by invisiblejules; 06-15-2012 at 14:50. Reason: fixed link

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can get a 9x12 blue plastic tarp for $15....http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    Get some cord and go hit the woods. We always did in our youth.
    Don't let all the thoughts of the "new gear" make you give this up)))))))
    Kind like fishing.....I see folks who give it up because they don't have a boat. We used ti get a cane pole and bobber and sit on the bank (old school for sure) and I still prefer that.
    Hope to still get out and go.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Wow... So quick to give things up, one would hope you would have a little more passion for your hobbies. The more expensive tarps are nicer, but one of the best parts of being you is saying **** the good idea, Ill just carry more weight. Sport a walmart tarp if you have to, it will surely do the job.

I just got a 12x12 kelty noah for $55 shipped. Your 17, a one time fee of $60 shouldn't be so impossible that you would give up instantly...

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    You get what You pay for, this stands true everywere, I also do cycling and I know how expensive it can get. Hammock camping are also little bit more expensive than I thought before, but HG Incubator are actually cheaper than fancy road bicycle wheels with DT Swiss hubs. It will take some time to make full kit also for camping.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast