Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images

Seneca Creek Backcountry, WV

Seneca Creek backcountry is not far off the summit of Spruce Knob, the WV high point. It is not a wilderness, so a person doing a trip there might encounter bicyclists as well as hikers, horse folks and fishermen.
    Our trip started Saturday morning with a moderate drive from Preston Co, WV. We drove south on rt 92 and then headed east on RT 33; then the very long drive up Witmer Road (Co29). This road becomes FR1, which joins FS112 a bit past Spruce knob lake. There are several other ways in to this area from the east and the south. The trail head of Seneca Creek Trail will hold about a dozen cars with room alongside the road for a few more. The Lumberjack trail head is about 1/2 mile further up the road towards spruce knob.
    Our group consisted of Me, country roads; my friend Rumble Seat, a brand new backpacker Madison (and future hanger, she thought my hammock was cool) and Delta and Echo our canine companions.
    We arrived at the trailhead around 10:00. The parking lot was nearly full, but we found a spot. Most of the hikers were day hiking.

Beta: Seneca Creek trail start at just under 4000 ft or so and goes down hill to around 2900 feet over 5 miles. The treadway is very nice and the trail is easy to follow all the way to it official end at Horton Trail. The trail goes pretty much alongside Seneca Creek for its entire distance. It is a nice streamside hike. At about 3 miles, you will come to the Judy Springs area. There is a bridge that crosses Seneca Creek here. There are streamside campsites all along the trail/creek. Many of them with nice views of the creek and waterfalls. We camped about 1/4 mile downstream of Judy Springs at a site with a waterfall created by a side stream. There is an old grist mill stone at the site. I hung my hammock between two birch trees and had an awesome view downstream. We then dayhiked down to the last and most spectacular falls; the water was WAY COLD. There are campsites all along this section with quite a few nice places to hang. I did see another hammock just below the last falls, before the junction with the Horton Trail. We saw several day hikers and several folks were camped, but there were many sites still open. We dined on brats for dinner and then had smores for our bed time snack. Sunday was a mostly uneventful hike back to the trail head. We then drove on up to Spruce Knob, since Madison had not been there before. We drove home by way of Seneca Rocks, which are always very nice to see.
    I have hiked this trail over Labor Day weekend and it can be crowded, But I expect most weekends it is pretty decent and most likely deserted during the week days. There is no short and easy route from any direction to get there, so I expect that keeps a lot of people away. I have also hiked High Meadows Trail, part of Lumberjack Trail and Judy Springs Trail. Circuit hikes in Seneca Creek are pretty easy and one could hike in from the Gandy Creek side of this area also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR,WBXLC
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    HG,Wookie
    Suspension
    WEBBING
    I have stayed at the same campsite years ago. Nice site but the noise from the water was deafening. The waterfall at end of trail has some exhilarating swimming. Last time we stayed at Judy springs and there was a natural draft that kept us cool during a blistering day.
    CLYDE

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Beautiful waterfall photo! Thanks for the report. I did a loop the one time I hiked there, going in Seneca Creek Trail and out the Lumberjack Trail. Someday I'll go back and do a point-to-point, starting on top of Spruce Knob and hiking to a 2nd vehicle somewhere else - maybe over by Gandy. (Suggestions for the rest of that route are welcome.)

I've been backpacking Seneca Creek since the 1980's and consider it one of my favorite areas in the state - yes, possibly ahead of Dolly Sods. That being said, the main trail along Seneca Creek can be crowded at times but a little planning will avoid most of that. While Seneca isn't a Wilderness area (though efforts almost got it there) it is managed as Backcountry (FS prescription 6.2). The main difference between it and Wilderness is that you might see some mt. bikers - I've only seen two except for the one time I rode in.

While the Seneca Creek Tr is nice and the center piece of the area the real views are to be had off to the east on the Judy Springs trail and the High Meadows trail. There are some nice streams on the western side of the area also. If anyone needs specific info please speak up. Always willing to help.

Enjoyed the pictures Country Roads as a vicarious hike while I'm not there. Glad you enjoyed it.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Looks really nice, thanks for the report.

Hammock
    MazGear
    Tarp
    MazGear/SuperFly
    Insulation
    MazGear/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

We were there last weekend too.....we were the ones camped at the falls....There was another solo hanger down from us... We hiked Horton Trail from Gandy Creek....(note) if you plan to hike that trail make sure you have some pants...the stinging nettle is intense!!!! We also saw one of our friends there...he was doing a day hike on the Lumberjack Trail and got to the first falls and had some lunch then decided to head back .... He came down stream and found the bigger falls ...took some pics and moved on. He saw us there and was just as surprised as we were to have seen each other....in our talking I asked him were he was headed and he said back to his car since he was just out for a day hike. Luckily he saw us cause he was headed in the wrong direction...He wanted to go back via Seneca Cr Trail but was going down stream....he needed to go up stream!!! I'm sure he made it out ok....cause he never came back.....anyway I will be making a video of our trip just as soon as I get my PC straightened up.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks for the post Country Roads! It's been a while since I've been to Seneca Creek. Anyone have some good trail map links?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

HC,

Here you go.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Hey, Maz it is cool that yah all were there too! It was a nice weekend.
    The water at the falls would either wake yah up or kill yah it was so cold. We probably would have camped further downstream, but Madison was getting tired. Carrying a pack for the first time can be tiring, since you use different muscles and stuff gets sore.
    My friend Rumble and I were considering parking a vehicle someplace on the Gandy side and then hiking Huckleberry from the top, camp someplace and then hit Horton Trail across to Gandy.

I do have to say that I really am liking Seneca Creek area. I am just starting to explore it, and I have not been disappointed. It seems like it has way less crowds than the Sods. I used to hike the sods in the north area and rarely see another person. Oh well, I guess I just have to share.

My friend Fred and I have hiked seneca Creek trail and headed up High Meadows Trail and camped up top. It was on a Labor Day weekend and we had the top of the place to ourselves. We started to hike out Lumberjack, but decided to drop down Huckleberry to catch some views; well Judy Springs trail called out to us, so we went down it. We do want to snag the rest of Lumberjack trail.

I hope to head out someplace weekend after this one and hopefully the next one too; company is always welcome.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    vdeal, I just might take you up on the information and you are always welcome to "hang" out with us.

• + New Posts