Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images

Homemade quilt question??

I'm getting ready to cut the baffles for my quilt. The finished size will be 78" x 53". I have 15 oz of 800 fill and figured I should get about a 3" loft.

My question is; if I'm expecting a 3" loft, should I cut my baffles 3" (plus the extra 1" for a half inch seem allowance per side, 4" total)?

Or is it better to cut the baffles shy of the expected loft? For example; 2.5 to 2.75 inch baffle for a 3"loft etc...??

Hammock
    DIY 4x9 1.1 oz ripstop (5.3 oz)
    Tarp
    ZPack Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    DG UCRs, Mule Tape
    Images
    I've always cut it full length of expected loft. I get nothing at all from the poofy look of bulging tubes. The way I look at it, why get less loft by pullin in with the baffles.
    Rick (Risk) Website: http://www.imrisk.com
    I cook. I sew. I walk. I lead. I hang. I write. I play.
    Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.amazon.com/Wildly-Success.../dp/B00COCI5HW

Images
    Something that was posted in another thread somewhere was to double roll the seams on the baffles. Some people just sew the netting with a single layer to the shell material. If you roll it so now there are 3 layers, your baffles will hold up better. This comes to play with the life of your quilt and if you want to wash it in a washing machine.

This was posted by the Jacks people, I think they may know a thing or 2 about making quilts.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Something that was posted in another thread somewhere was to double roll the seams on the baffles. Some people just sew the netting with a single layer to the shell material. If you roll it so now there are 3 layers, your baffles will hold up better. This comes to play with the life of your quilt and if you want to wash it in a washing machine.

This was posted by the Jacks people, I think they may know a thing or 2 about making quilts.
    Yeah, Pan mentioned that at Rogers. He said it takes a little more time to sew, but it's worth it for the durability.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    I cut mine for the projected loft & then overstuff by 10 or 15%.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    A down quilt is going to be my next big project. I am going to make a thick, winter quilt. I think I'm gonna try for 3-3.5 inches of loft.

How do you figure how much down it will take to get a projected loft for a quilt? I know this was posted somewhere else, but I can't seem to find it..

Is DWR ripstop nylon down-proof or does the fabric need to be listed as down-proof?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    A down quilt is going to be my next big project. I am going to make a thick, winter quilt. I think I'm gonna try for 3-3.5 inches of loft.

How do you figure how much down it will take to get a projected loft for a quilt? I know this was posted somewhere else, but I can't seem to find it..

Is DWR ripstop nylon down-proof or does the fabric need to be listed as down-proof?
    The rating on the down, as far as I know, is how many cubic inches one ounce will fill. So one ounce of 800 fp down should fill 800 cubic inches at full loft. I guess you'll need to fairly closely estimate the total volume of insulation you want and get enough down to fill that. Plus most people seem to 'overstuff' on top of that.

Couldn't tell you about the downproof thing. I have seen a lot of suppliers list some materials as downproof and not mention that on other materials. You might want to look for that specification.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    The rating on the down, as far as I know, is how many cubic inches one ounce will fill. So one ounce of 800 fp down should fill 800 cubic inches at full loft. I guess you'll need to fairly closely estimate the total volume of insulation you want and get enough down to fill that. Plus most people seem to 'overstuff' on top of that.
    It's kinda simple when you put it that way.

So if I wanted to make a quilt that was 82x52x3.5 that would mean that it would have a volume of 14,924 cubic inches and that would mean I would need 18.65 oz of 800 fp down or about 21.5 oz for a 15% over stuff.

If I used 850 fp down it would take about 17.5 oz of down or about 20 oz for an over stuff.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    It's kinda simple when you put it that way.

So if I wanted to make a quilt that was 82x52x3.5 that would mean that it would have a volume of 14,924 cubic inches and that would mean I would need 18.65 oz of 800 fp down or about 21.5 oz for a 15% over stuff.

If I used 850 fp down it would take about 17.5 oz of down or about 20 oz for an over stuff.
    I think that's how it works, yeah.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    It needs to be a high thread count fabric, at least 300. Use downproof listed fabric if possible. Its not so much the down that finds its way out as it is the small feathers mixed in with the down. Be very careful with the fabric when using pins. The holes left by pins will leak the down and the feathers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast