Thread: First 'mock

First 'mock

Hello folks,

First time poster, many months of scheming. Still, I honestly have no idea what most of the topics on this board. Multiple efforts of finding what a "whoopie sling" is still has me lost. I wanted to make a hammock for my Canadian boat camping trips. I located some old fabric in the rafters at my father's farm. It's in a roll, about 14' long so I cut a width of about 130" to be folded over double. The fabric is black, and supposedly was a frost barrier for some sort of road project that was left over. When I pulled it down, I originally was skeptical of the frayed ends and deliberately tried to tear one of the edges with both hands. Not being able to, I recruited it for my project. Breathable? Not likely. However at it's price and my first foray into ham-mocking I couldn't refuse.

I did a simple gathered end, and am relatively pleased with the 10 minute respite I took in it this afternoon. The finished length is around 13' with a width around 70" after being doubled up. The pockets on each side of the center ridge are huge, and my 6'3 200 lbs frame can easily find ample room to lie flat. My lines to the trees are old winch straps, and the 4-wrap system seemed to work fine.

Remembering this is my first attempt to hang a 'mock, what can I do better? Can the centerline ridge be flattened out? Thoughts? Comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Deluxe/ DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HH Hex/ WB Superfl
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This would be a good place to start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

This guy lays it all out for ya.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Offering fine and unique outdoor products for the serious hiker and hammocker.
    Available at the following retailers:Tier Gear, Dutchware

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome to the forums from Florida!
    I like your "can do" spirit! You will fit in great around here

I'm 6'-1" and 195 pounds, so I'm pretty close to your build. You only need the hammock to be 11' long. I don't believe you gain anything by going longer than that unless you play for the NBA. Long hammocks can present problems on the trail. You need longer tarps, longer bugnets, you can't reach the ridgeline, etc.

It sounds like you did a good job on your very first attempt! So I think you should invest in some breathable nylon and do it again. But first, be sure and read the "stickies" in the DIY forum and feel free to ask any specific questions. Everyone around here will pitch in and help!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good job....you'll know what you need after a few nights in it.
    I re-whipped mine several times to get the best lay. Used this type of whipping....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html
    Breathable is good but everyone differ in their comfort.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Surplus GI pad
    Welcome from Maine. To get the ridge out you need to readjust one end of the whipping.

Thanks much for your replies! I have really liked that "To the Woods" website and it, along with this site, has been a great guide for me. The long length is primarily because that's what the fabric roll came in; I wasn't too keen on sewing that edge when it came sewn just to cut down on a few feet of fabric. I'll be leaving for a fishing trip this evening, with my opportunity to really test this out on Saturday. Looking forward to coming back with more pictures and my results!

• + New Posts