Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension

Using a tent floor as a tarp?

Read thru a few of the recycled tents posts but didn't really see much on using the old floor from a tent as a tarp.
    For a quick tarp solution, would this be a viable option? I have 2 tents, one from Gander Mountain, one from Cabelas. Around 10' x 12' each. Bought them at their sidewalk sales as they didn't have poles for them. Paid maybe 5 bucks each. In any case, they are both in great shape, but am wondering how they would hold up under the normal stresses that a dedicated tarp goes thru. Being that it is the tent floor, it pretty much just sits there. Should they hold up to the wind? I already have the floors cut out with the tie out still attached, and was going to cut them down to use as a ground cloth under my hammock and give one to my buddy, and cut the other up to use as an inside cloth in my kids Timberline tent.

What do you all think? I bit heavier weight wise that a tarp, but that's not really an issue for me. If it works, I would like to take it as a group shelter when the rains come.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They should work....make sure that they cover the hammock ends by 6" or more.
    Are they coated and waterproof?
    You could use a cheap blue tarp from Menards as well. More size options. Should get you through a trip.
    Hit those woods!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    I have several of them tarps from Mendards, Lowes and whatnot. Just didn't think they would hold up to much wind action. Guess I'm more concerned about using the built in grommets ripping out. Or would a better option be to simply tie the corners with some line instead of relying on the grommets?

As far as I know, the tent floors are indeed waterproof. The tents themselves seem to built very well. Heavier material than the actual tent walls.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Hunter View Post
    I have several of them tarps from Mendards, Lowes and whatnot. Just didn't think they would hold up to much wind action. Guess I'm more concerned about using the built in grommets ripping out. Or would a better option be to simply tie the corners with some line instead of relying on the grommets?

As far as I know, the tent floors are indeed waterproof. The tents themselves seem to built very well. Heavier material than the actual tent walls.
    They will...just rig it properly......don't use grommets. Something like Grip Clips http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/ or this method (scroll to bottom for the pebble method)...http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/camping/tarps.htm
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Green Cat cut
    Tarp
    SUPA FLY
    Insulation
    golite TQ, Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    i use a tent footprint from rei, it was a closeout deal. it works great!!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Anything waterproof should be fine.

Like said above, Grommets eventually pull out. If the tent floor is a woven plastic, like a blue tarp, you could probably use Tyvek tape to make a tie-out loop, or even sew to it... "good" blue plastic tarps have a rope around the perimeter, which really increases their strength...

Worst case, use a double sheet bend to tie it out...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I found a set of tents from REI, minus the poles. I took them from a free box at a yard sale. The owner said he was a guide, did not sound very sure of himselt. Anyway, I took the tents, I had planned on using the tent to make a hammock, the foot prints were with the tent when I unrolled the tent, there were the brand new foot prints, they are huge. We used one foot print on our last hang, worked great, just too long. I am going to do something else with them, but they worked well in the rain and wind.

• + New Posts