Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I looked into this a while back for one of the parents in my cub scout den. At least here in FL you can easily get away without the humidification except maybe in the middle of winter. This is normally the only component that must have 120v wall current. The main body of about every CPAP is just a small DC air pump. Most every one will either run on 12 volts or sell a reasonably priced cigarette lighter adapter style power supply.

A unit that will run on straight 12 volts is pretty easy to deal with. Ebay and other sources sell a huge variety of sealed lead acid, NiMH, or even lithium battery packs. With a little ingenuity you can easily adapt your unit to run on one of these. The only concern will be the battery capacity you'll need for your intended trip. One that requires a power supply (much like a laptop) will weigh a bit more and probably be somewhat less efficient.

I pretty much figured out that with my friend's unit he could easily run it for a night off my car jump-starter (an 18Ah sealed lead acid battery). Something like this would be fine for car camping but I don't think a really suitable solution exists for backpacking.

Hammock
    ENO DN

I'm a CPAPer too!

Interesting reading this post as I also use a cpap machine. I've only hung three nights so far and all them w/out my machine. I don't have an extension cord that will reach 150yds.! I'm trying my new gear out in the woods behind my house.

I'm trying to mostly sleep on my side, knowing that I'll continue to breath more normally that way than on my back. (On my back is a TRAIN WRECK)

I'm gonna look at the battery option and maybe figure something out w/out having to spend a few hundred $$!

I tried a cheap mouthpeice that holds the lower jaw forward.........as long as it was in, it works, but I usually woke up with it sticking in my shoulder blade or else where!! LOL A custom-fit mouthpiece would probably stay in better but I'm not ready to spend a few hundred on one of those!

Right now I'm thinking that I'll just hang one night at a time. That way I won't loose too much sleep at a time! I'm liking it out there too much to let the apnea stop me!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I also sleep with a cpap machine and since beginning to sleep better, I really notice myself waking a lot in a hammock. So I spent a considerable amount of money on the new Chrysalis hammock that could get me so flat that I could actually sleep on my side, and the sides were so low I didn't have to keep my arm above and under my head all night, like in a Bridge Hammock.
    Trying out this hammock that a friend had, I thought this would be the answer to sleeping better in the woods, but when I got it and went to the woods and tried to sleep all night in it, it was actually worse, and I couldn't put my arm in front of me because the sides were so tight it hurt my arm. I considered putting my Big Agnus in it so I could maybe get my body up in a position that would allow my arm to not hurt and fall asleep, but finally sold the Chrysalis and am going back to the BB.
    I am looking into the insert and the battery thing, but will probably just tough it out the way it is for me. The Black bird is a great hammock, and if I can find a way to get my head up higher and still not slide down too far into the footbox, I should be able to sleep.
    We will see.
    Another ideal i just thought of is to make the ridge line shorter on my BB so I would be more in a banana shape that would keep me sort of sitting up. I think I will put my adjustable whoopie ridge line on the hammock and see if that helps.
    Thanks everyone for this thread. Its been a big help.
    Last edited by Mule; 08-23-2012 at 00:50. Reason: add content
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    The Travel Hammock Inc.
    Tarp
    Superfly (camo)
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps

Cpap

I wear one while at home but out in the woods the missus can't hear me snore. I just sleep a bit longer in the woods but I may be a marginal case.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    LeighloTQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I use a CPAP at home but in the woods Afrin + Tylenol PM work pretty good.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Several options:

http://www.cpapbatterystore.com/
    Lithium Ion @ $329 on up, 3lbs 15-20 hours 150Wh max 8A
    http://www.cpapbatterystore.com/C-150_details.html

Deep Cycle AGM 12v 22Ah @ $55, 14lbs , unknown runtime, no discharge protection, overcharge protection must be built into separate charging unit

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/c...product=217G76

Not sure about the 9800 mAh packs on ebay yet, still researching
    Last edited by Ratdog; 10-05-2012 at 16:17.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Another battery option for some machines. $250
    http://www.cpaptravelbatterypack.com/products.html

Various 12v 8Ah batteries $25-$60
    http://www.atbatt.com/sealed-lead-ac.../m/12v-8ah.asp

Small, light, portable CPAP w/ optional battery
    http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/evo...P-Machine.html

CPAP alternative. i have no experience with this product.
    https://puresleep.com/s30/homepage.php

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123