WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images

AT, GA, Springer to Neel Gap, June 7-9, 2012

Thursday, June 7, 2012

I was ready for an easier, mellower walk after climbing up to the Carolina balds earlier in the week. I got just such a walk when I headed to Springer Mountain. As I arrived at the FS 42 trailhead, my daughter seemed ready to hop into my pack and go right along with me.

However, Dewey Bear was having none of it. He insisted that the pack was his domain and he settled in. I gave my wife and daughter a hug and then headed up the trail to the summit. A couple of locals greeted me along the way.

The gentle climb was a relief after feeling so rough on my previous trip. We soon made it to the Springer summit, where a couple of dayhikers and a couple beginning a long section hike were enjoying the view. Dewey muscled them out of the way for a photo on his “throne”.

He also grabbed a quick shot next to the first blaze.

Then we were off. It was an idyllic walk, gently downhill. I spoke briefly with a group of dayhikers who were looking for Long Creek Falls. I produced my map and showed them where to find it. And then I pushed on. I stopped by Stover Creek Shelter for lunch, then headed on again, not stopping until I encountered the same dayhiker, now returning from the falls. They offered their thanks for directions and asked if I had been hiking “all this time (about 2 hours). Dewey responded yes and then we headed up the short climb to the falls.

We then headed gently up the climb to the ridge along Hawk Mountain. It seemed nearly effortless. Arriving at the blue blaze to Hawk Mountain, we approached to within sight of the shelter, where I hung the hammock for the night.

After gathering water, I enjoyed a dinner of chili mac (under serious protest from Dewey). I could hear the noise from a family staying at the shelter, but I was in another world in my hammock. I drifted off to sleep with Zac Brown’s “Toes” in my head. Life is good today.

Friday, June 8, 2012

I got of to a good start, packing quickly and moving by just after 8 AM. I headed down the hill to Hightower Gap and then began the little energizer tread of ups and downs on the way to Horse Gap. Along the way, I passed several south bound hikers. I stopped off at Horse Gap for a snack and made the call to bypass perhaps the most outrageous PUD on the Georgia AT, Sassafras Mountain. A quick, head-down jaunt around Sassafras brought me to Cooper Gap, where I enjoyed lunch.

Somebody had set up a tent there, but apparently they were not there, since I heard nothing the entire time I sat and ate. As I pushed up Justus Mountain, I passed three more south-bounders. I made solid time as I approached Justus Creek.

I grabbed some water, then headed on to Gooch Mountain Shelter. When I arrived there, a fellow had spread his gear around to completely cover every inch of the shelter and most of the table. I had planned to have a snack here, but instead chose to simply sign the register and move on, grabbing a snack a few hundred yards up the trail.

Pushing on, I quickly reached Gooch Gap, where I was to meet my wife. Dewey and I settled in and relaxed until she arrived.

Once she arrived, we all headed to Lake Winfield Scott Campground near Suches, Georgia. My wife had created a nice base camp here for all of us.

My daughter, dirt and all, was loving the freedom of camping.

We headed down to the lake for a swim, followed by a shower. Then we headed out to the 180 Diner, right outside the park, where the outside deck offered comfortable dining.

Heading home, I sorted out my gear for the next day and settled into bed.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

I had just hiked Gooch Gap to Woody Gap over Spring Break, and I decided to bypass this 4 miles over Friday night dinner. Instead I would start at Woody Gap and slackpack to Neel Gap on Saturday.

So Dewey and I stepped off around 9 AM and headed into the Blood Mountain Wilderness.

As I stepped off, I heard an incredibly loud fellow talking to his hiking partner. He was at least a couple hundred yards behind me, but my artillery-deafened ears could clearly understand every word. As I reached the first small overlook, I realized why. He was shouting back to his partner who was now more than a football field behind him. I gladly yielded the viewpoint to him in hopes of getting far enough ahead to outpace the shouting.

Thankfully, I was successful, soon reaching a very quiet overlook atop Big Cedar Mountain. I used my stickpic to grab a quick shot of myself.

Dewey also enjoyed the peaceful view.

As we left, I encountered a couple of backpackers heading south. It was a strange feeling to suddenly be the dayhiker myself.

I made excellent time, climbing with little or no effort. I grabbed a bit of water at Lance Creek, then headed on to my lunch stop at Jarrard Gap.

Then I started the climb up Blood Mountain. It still offered copious quantities of stone steps.

Still, the path seemed relatively easy with only a tiny daypack. I passed more dayhikers than I could count. But I continued onward and upward, soon arriving at Blood Mountain Shelter.

Dewey and I grabbed a quick shot on the rocks above the shelter.

We moved on the short distance to the summit.

We then headed down. It was rocky and rough, but we still made good time. Just after passing the Freeman Trail, Dewey demanded we stop at Balanced Rock. He insisted it was crooked, so he moved it an inch or so until it was right again.

25 minutes or so later, we carefully crossed the heavy-trafficked US 19 at Neel Gap. There we met my wife and daughter. Dewey took one final photo.

Then we hopped in the vehicle, looking to head back to the campground, a swim, and plans for the rest of the weekend without any more hiking.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Enjoyed it. Glad Dewey was able to fix that rock. Your daughter is adorable!

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Enjoyed it. Glad Dewey was able to fix that rock. Your daughter is adorable!
    Thanks. She is a handful, but she keeps me young while she's making me old.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Great report. I am very jealous as I had planned to do Springer to the GA/NC state line the first week of June but my boss canceled my vacation (personnel problems at work , not related to me). Still hoping I can get out there sometime in July.

Cute kid.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Hay Bearpaw! Very nice trip report! You got a lovely family there. Wow! What a wife to drop you off, meet ya down the road and drop you off to meetya down the road again. Boy you had a whopper of a trip! That's cool! Loved the pics! I too am envious!

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Another great report, thanks for sharing the trip.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Hey Bearpaw, thanks for the great trip report. Glad you and Dewy enjoyed your hike. Planning on starting at Springer on the 21st and hike 4-5 days. How was the water supply? Looked like you were having no problems finding it. Never done an over nite on the A T yet, so looking forward to finding some good hanging spots. There will be 3 of us, all in hammocks of course.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Great trip report. Glad you and Dewey had a good time.

bearpaw, you daughter is growing like crazy since we saw her back in March
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    bearpaw, you daughter is growing like crazy since we saw her back in March
    She sure is Ewker. I remember looking down from the balcony and seeing her and Bearpaw made me hungry eating all that Bar B Cue Chicken. If he weren't so big, I would have demanded a piece

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast