WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    *20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing

1st solo overnighter in Western NC

Tomorrow after work I will have my first hike and solo overnighter. I have done solo's before, but not combined with a hike in and camp. I have only car camped by myself. I am really excited to do this. The wife is terrified. Hoepfully she will be okay and not worry too much. For my NC hangers I am headed to the Turkey Pen Trail Head. I have day hiked here before and I am looking forward to a little hike, hang and fish. I plan to take video while I am on the trip. I will post a report and the video when I return.

I want to thank many people here on the forum (Fireinmybones, Shug, SnakeSession and others) that have inspired me to do this solo. I have always had reservations about this, but I picked this weekend and had several people back out last minute. So, solo trip it is. This is a simple 1 night trip. I will check the forum once before I go so if anyone has any pointers let me know. Not sure how long I will hike before setting up. It depends on what time I get out of work, what time I arrive and light. I hate setting up camp with nothing, but a head lamp.

Thank you all again and have a great weekend!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I never thought I'd have been one of the ones listed as an inspiration.

My advice is as follows:
    -make sure your plan is well known by someone at home
    -stay well hydrated/ know where you can find water
    -do not deviate from your plan unless necessary
    -be mindful of your surroundings, setting up at night can prevent you from seeing widow-makers
    -Have Fun
    -Take Pictures (if you can)

I hope that you are safe on your trip and I very much look forward to hearing all about your adventure.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Solo trips are great! I love my family and all, but man is it work taking them on trips. Solo, you have one meal to cook, one rig to set up and nobody to disturb the peaceful serenity of the backwoods. There is certainly a place for hiking with friends and family, but you have to get out by yourself on occasion and enjoy your time in the woods.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    *20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I never thought I'd have been one of the ones listed as an inspiration.

My advice is as follows:
    -make sure your plan is well known by someone at home
    -stay well hydrated/ know where you can find water
    -do not deviate from your plan unless necessary
    -be mindful of your surroundings, setting up at night can prevent you from seeing widow-makers
    -Have Fun
    -Take Pictures (if you can)

I hope that you are safe on your trip and I very much look forward to hearing all about your adventure.
    Thanks for the pointers. I am hiking alone rivers and creeks the entire time so water should be plentiful. I tried to order some items (aquamira) from antigravity gear, but had a problem with the website. I emailed customer service Saturday and still have not heard back? Several people known exactly where I am going. Keep being a great witness. God is doing something through you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
    Solo trips are great! I love my family and all, but man is it work taking them on trips. Solo, you have one meal to cook, one rig to set up and nobody to disturb the peaceful serenity of the backwoods. There is certainly a place for hiking with friends and family, but you have to get out by yourself on occasion and enjoy your time in the woods.
    The wife does not camp and this will be my last summer childless. We are expecting our first this October. So this might be the first and last solo adventure! We are expecting a boy and I cannot wait to have a little buddy to take with me. However, I have always enjoyed time in wild alone when hunting so this should help fill that void as well.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    TinMan from AGG usually picks up his phone if you call: 910-794-3308 (listed at the top of his site) after 9am EST. Let him know the issues with the website, he may not know.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Sounds great, look forward to your report, hope the fishing is great. I hope to do my 1st solo this year as well and plan to incorporate lightweight spin fishing into my trips.

Quote Originally Posted by BigA View Post
    Tomorrow after work I will have my first hike and solo overnighter. I have done solo's before, but not combined with a hike in and camp. I have only car camped by myself. I am really excited to do this. The wife is terrified. Hoepfully she will be okay and not worry too much. For my NC hangers I am headed to the Turkey Pen Trail Head. I have day hiked here before and I am looking forward to a little hike, hang and fish. I plan to take video while I am on the trip. I will post a report and the video when I return.

I want to thank many people here on the forum (Fireinmybones, Shug, SnakeSession and others) that have inspired me to do this solo. I have always had reservations about this, but I picked this weekend and had several people back out last minute. So, solo trip it is. This is a simple 1 night trip. I will check the forum once before I go so if anyone has any pointers let me know. Not sure how long I will hike before setting up. It depends on what time I get out of work, what time I arrive and light. I hate setting up camp with nothing, but a head lamp.

Thank you all again and have a great weekend!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Have fun on your solo! I have come to really enjoy solo hiking------its so quiet, peaceful, and so flexible---you can do pretty much anything you want, any time you want! As far as the wife goes, just send her a "proof of life" text once in a while and she'll be fine!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    My wife worries everytime I go out, but she doesn't camp and I have to get away from time to time. I've only done a few solo overnights, but they are great. Have a good time and be careful.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Haha, if my girl didn't camp, she'd never see me on the weekends. =)

Have fun man!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Solo.....a Billy Jack Adventure Quest)))))))
    You will either love it or hate it. Some miss the company but I never get bored on a solo. Your own pace is cool. Have a great time.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast