Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs

UQ from cheap WM comforter

OK, so I was strolling through the mart of walls the other day and found myself looking at the comforters thinking, "hmm...I could probably make a UQ and TQ from a queen size comforter" and also figured that I could make two UQs, one for me and one for the wife. They had some cheap polyester comforters there for $15, which is more material for your buck than the sleeping bags I was originally thinking about. The exterior polyester seemed tough enough to handle a little dirt, possibly some rain mist/splashing. So, I went ahead and bought it.

We've got a camping trip this weekend so I'm not sure if I can have them ready in time, but I was wondering if anyone had ideas for a cut pattern, suspension routing, etc. Also, if anyone had some insight about the materials, as far as if it'll be to hot, to much trouble to work with, other experiences. Currently, I'm thinking of going plain rectangle, to keep it simple.

Thoughts, comments, snide remarks?
    ~We all start at the bottom~

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have one of those...it's a twin size. I closed up one end to make a footbox, and use it here in the house when I sleep in my recliner. It is not terribly warm, although adequate for home temps. No idea how it might perform in a windy environment. My best guess is that it be suitable for summer use, say, no lower than 60f. You could extend that, of course, by adding items to your sleepwear.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the insight.

Anybody else have some ideas?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Let me know how it goes... Living in Texas my temperatures don't go as cold as most so something that covers 55 would cover most of my cold weather stuff... This may be the best deal for me...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The Poncho Liner Underquilt is another option... Ikea also has a very thin comforter for less than $15 that might be similar...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    Well, unfortunately, it's not going to happen for this trip . I do still plan on doing it, but I need to get more familiar with my thread injector. I thought I was doing well on some practice fabrics and decided to make a gear hammock before I did the uq. Well, I sewed the corners down and those gave me some problems and I thought I was getting better with each corner, but then when I tried to sew one of the channels...lets just say it didn't work like I wanted it to . Oh well, when we get back I'll inlist my mom's help and tutilage.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truehart View Post
    Well, unfortunately, it's not going to happen for this trip . I do still plan on doing it, but I need to get more familiar with my thread injector. I thought I was doing well on some practice fabrics and decided to make a gear hammock before I did the uq. Well, I sewed the corners down and those gave me some problems and I thought I was getting better with each corner, but then when I tried to sew one of the channels...lets just say it didn't work like I wanted it to . Oh well, when we get back I'll inlist my mom's help and tutilage.
    Moms help ftw!!!
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    Indeed, Momma is a great seamstress. She made mine and my sister's costumes for Halloween and plays, growing up. She even made my sister's wedding gown and bridesmaid dresses, to which she said, "never again." And then made my wife's veil, which looked almost identical to the $200 one in the store. All in all, I've got a pretty awesome mom! My dad's pretty dang handy, too. I've received a lot of that handyness from both sides, but as I said before I have some more to learn about thread injecting. I could do it by hand, but that's more than I want to do.

Hammock
    eno, for now.
    Tarp
    eno, modified
    Insulation
    diy, mummy bag
    Suspension
    straps and woopie
    i made my quilt out of a light weight mummy bag it covers both top and bottom. not much sewing and keeps me warm in 3 seasons here in oregon.

• + New Posts