Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, determined not to buy slapstraps...

Recently purchased an eno double nest, but after seeing the price and reading all the horrid reviews regarding them stretching, decided to pass them by. The hammock should be here Monday, and i'd love to have a suspension system ready when it gets here.

I've seen multiple threads referencing the whoopie setups, and others show setups using solely webbing, and others using webbing on the tree and paracord/amsteel between the webbing and the hammock itself.

Basically, I am looking to go for a setup that is going to last a good while and is reasonably priced. Weight is really a major factor, but something less bulky would be ideal. Minimal setup time would also be nice. But, given that these are often conflicting traits, if someone could pitch layouts for both that would be nice. I am more than willing to learn some knots and do a little extra work for something that will be beneficial in the long run. As far as current knowledge though, consider it to be 0. I'm very new to hammocks/knots/all that good shtuff. But like i said, more than willing to learn.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It sounds like you're a candidate for whoopie slings and tree strap combo.

You'll need 1" wide polyester tree straps with a loop sewn in at least one end. The length of the strap depends upon the size of trees you hang from. My straps are 5' long which will go around an 18" diameter tree.

The most common material for whoopies is 7/64" Amsteel and the most common length is 6'. You will need 13'-14' of line to make one 6' whoopie or you can buy them pre-made from one of the excellent vendors here on the forums.

For Marlin spikes you can use trail sticks (lightweight since you don't carry them and cheap) or cut large knitting needles down to 3" lengths.

Larks head the fixed eye onto the end of the hammock by running it through the end channel.
    Wrap the strap around the tree and thread the one end through the loop on the other end.
    Hook the adjustable eye over the Marlin spike on the tree strap.
    Adjust the whoopie and your done!
    Last edited by MAD777; 06-15-2012 at 05:32.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Mad777 just described the exact set up(except my straps are 10' salvaged from ratchet straps) that I have on my eno dn and I love it. Light weight, very adjustable and everything will fit in the attached stuff sack.

Hammock
    ENO DN Delux
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    The straps from ttttrailgear are cheap and very very effective. I have been using them without any issue. Ordered them a couple of weeks ago but have spent 2 full nights on them and countless hours lounging around the backyard with them with zero issue. I got my 12' set for around $24 I believe. It's all in one and "easy" if that's what you're looking for.

Different strokes for different folks, just letting you know where I snagged mine .

So, if I go with the whoopie setup, I'll need to buy 28ft of 7/64" amsteel, and 12ft of 1" webbing? Aside from a trailsticks is there anything else I would need?

If so, local boating store seemed to be the only place that had the amsteel locally (would love to get started on this today), and they sold a "1" polypro webbing"? $0.40 a foot. Should that work? Also, for sewing the whoopies after splicing them, what sort of thread is preferred?

Thanks again,
    Schuyler

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    If you have a Harbor Freight near by, they also carry the rachet sets, so you could use those straps as your tree strap. If you don't want to DIY the other stuff, PM Dweller7 here on the forums and he'll hook you up with a pair of whoopie slings and adjustable hammock ridgeline pretty quickly for a very fair price.

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    I just recently converted my doublenest to adjustable webbing suspension from warbonnet.

I never had bad experiences with slapstraps - (290lbs...6'4") - but the AWS definitely is lighter and packs MUCH better in the doublenest pouch.
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I recently replaced my Singlenest suspension with AHE Whoopie/ strap combo.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/2575039

Agreed - I replaced the heavier slapstraps with DIY whoopies and straps last year, and have been much happier with the result. AHE's kit looks nice...

Is there any possibly scenario that the slap straps could be used that a simple strap+marlin hitch+whoopie could not be used?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast