WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    DIY Vinyl-for now
    Insulation
    Pad w/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies

Tree strap and dutch clip/carabiner?

I've been thinking about finding additional ways to trip some ounces from my overall set up, but am still pretty new to the hammock way of life.
    I've noticed that most people either attach their tree straps to the tree via a carabiner or a dutch clip. Is there any reason why you couldn't/shouldn't just run the strap through the sewn loop and cinch it to the tree? This would avoid the need for a carabiner or dutch clip, or even a soft shackle for that matter.

Images
    a lot do it that way with a marlin spike hitch knot thing on the other end?
    i like to keep my suspension and hammock in one piece (all connected). it's a looonnng walk back for tree straps.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I run my whoopie sling and the other side of my webbing through the loop on one side of my tree strap as per Dutch. Works fine. Sometimes the tree straps don't reach all the way around so it is just the whoopie sling through the loop and that works too. I only weight 170# so I don't know what the weight limit would be for that option.

So my suspension looks like this:

tree>double end looped polyester strap>whoopie sling>whoopie hook (Dutch)>amsteel continuous loop>hammock

All available from Dutch with the whoopie hooks installed on the whoopie slings.

The whole thing weighs 3.5 ounces for both sides if memory serves. It is hard to go lighter.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The J Meister View Post
    I've been thinking about finding additional ways to trip some ounces from my overall set up, but am still pretty new to the hammock way of life.
    I've noticed that most people either attach their tree straps to the tree via a carabiner or a dutch clip. Is there any reason why you couldn't/shouldn't just run the strap through the sewn loop and cinch it to the tree? This would avoid the need for a carabiner or dutch clip, or even a soft shackle for that matter.
    No reason other than personal preference. I find it more convenient to use a Dutch Clip, therefore easier and faster for me. You may find something that works for you better or suit your needs better, but this is what works well for me.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Absolutely no reason at all not to run the strap back though itself as long as your using a high quality webbing and inspect it for wear regularly. I do it that way every time I hang. Other than a toggle for my spike hitch I have zero hard wear in my suspension. Using a carabiner of Clip with save you 1-2 seconds of set up and take down time though
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    DIY Vinyl-for now
    Insulation
    Pad w/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Thanks all. I think I'm going to be testing out some soft shackles on my next hang in place of a carabiner/dutch clip.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG-20 degree
    Suspension
    Arrowhead WS setup

i agree

Thats the way I run mine, through the loop. And as Mr. Gibson said use a quality strap. I hope I do, he made it! I also leave my toggles "knotted" in the strap. This keeps me from losing them. If the distance from my current hang is about the same distance from my last, I just slip the whoopie over the old knot with no worries.

PS: I lost a whoopie loop ( one of AHE's ) while I was adjusting on my last hang. I put very small zip ties through the loops to prevent them from turning in on themselves in the future. I had made a backup whoopie that I usually use to tie around a tree to hang my backpack. Glad I had it.

I have not left my straps on the tree yet. I have heard the war stories of others here and now I am double paranoid in checking.

HYOH -Hang your own hankie

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I will never, repeat NEVER run the free end of the

tree straps through the sewn loop and then through the cinch buckle.

NEVER!

I am getting up in years and suffer from CRS Syndrome. As was already pointed out, it is a long walk back for the straps.

Jim
    Now, where did I leave my hammock????

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Have you had one fail? What failed exactly? Why? Yes total newbie questions, but hey, I'm a newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    tree straps through the sewn loop and then through the cinch buckle.

NEVER!

I am getting up in years and suffer from CRS Syndrome. As was already pointed out, it is a long walk back for the straps.

Jim
    Now, where did I leave my hammock????

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx,Mamba,Woobie
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Absolutely no reason at all not to run the strap back though itself as long as your using a high quality webbing and inspect it for wear regularly. I do it that way every time I hang. Other than a toggle for my spike hitch I have zero hard wear in my suspension. Using a carabiner of Clip with save you 1-2 seconds of set up and take down time though
    Thanks Paul and others for your inputs. I've learn so much!

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    I run my whoopie sling and the other side of my webbing through the loop on one side of my tree strap as per Dutch. Works fine. Sometimes the tree straps don't reach all the way around so it is just the whoopie sling through the loop and that works too. I only weight 170# so I don't know what the weight limit would be for that option.

So my suspension looks like this:

tree>double end looped polyester strap>whoopie sling>whoopie hook (Dutch)>amsteel continuous loop>hammock................
    That's what I've been doing per Dutch's instructions. But I also don't mind using Dutch clip for the tree strap or using toggle MSH instead of the Lark's head knot. (Love shinny hardware )

There is so much FUN experimenting with hammock cammping, HYOH but stay safe folks
    .................................................. .................................................. ........

"Your life starts at Point A and ends at Point B. Kick maximum ***!....." Ted Nugent (before he gone bats**t crazy)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast