Hammock
    DHTBird,WBBB.draumrxl
    Tarp
    Camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie *snicker*
    <--------------willing to test new hammock.

Resume:
    Have fallen before.
    Gets up from falls.
    Not afraid to fall.
    Stop well at the ground.
    Hates lawyers and politicians(really the same thing), no liability issues.
    Live close to the genius.
    Have a really cool dog. (this being the most salient point)
    If it moves, you can eat it. No promises you will think it tastes good.

I'm always interested in new hammock designs, especially if they're revolutionary!

Hammock
    BIAS ww-switchback-WBRR
    Tarp
    tadpole
    Insulation
    underground quilts
    Suspension
    whoopies,strap
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace View Post
    I have not had time to work on the new design because of other orders being filled.
    Still have it, still working on it in my mind and will get back on it soon.
    Looks like I spoke out of ignorance.May have to purchase in penance. The Fish knows.Apologies,LIS.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Lots of people have had time to design better

than what exists. What better place to do the schemeing and design than while in the hammock.

Does somebody here have a favorite history of patented (or not) designs that could be legally tailored by DIY folks and which might offer improvement on the the seven designs that come to mind for single hammocks (not including features related to pockets and weather / critter proofing)?

• gathered end
    • gathered end with strings replacing some fabric at foot and/or head ends
    • gathered end with foot box
    • gathered end with pull outs, symmetric or otherwise
    • gathered end with spreader bars, small or large
    • cot
    • "bridge"

I'm personally surprised that there may be no hammock on the market with fold-and-furrow-free fabric substituting for the strings, or playing with the bias of fabric, IOW, application of the sail-maker's art and engineering of fabric and how it performs with loads.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I remember a post by Mule and his Pleated Hammock......http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8192
    Seemed like a real "out of the proverbial box" idea to me at the time.
    Never heard much more about it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    I'm personally surprised that there may be no hammock on the market with fold-and-furrow-free fabric substituting for the strings, or playing with the bias of fabric, IOW, application of the sail-maker's art and engineering of fabric and how it performs with loads.
    I did quite a bit of experimenting with this when I first started making hammocks. I didn't find a design where the bias made enough difference to warrant the additional material needed. Almost no difference, actually.

One thing that DID make a difference was changing how I gathered the fabric at the end...that can make a significant difference in how the hammock lays. I mainly used different variations of a W fold before gathering. Depending on the fabric (mainly elasticity of different materials), the most effective I found was to gather the head end as normal, and make a W fold at the foot end...then on the side AWAY from where your feet go, roll the V (of the W) before gathering the whole thing and whipping.

That took up some extra flappy material and made me pop right into the diagonal. Sometimes, dimensions and elasticity created a calf ridge...other times it made the hammock more comfortable.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I did quite a bit of experimenting with this when I first started making hammocks. I didn't find a design where the bias made enough difference to warrant the additional material needed. Almost no difference, actually.

One thing that DID make a difference was changing how I gathered the fabric at the end...that can make a significant difference in how the hammock lays. I mainly used different variations of a W fold before gathering. Depending on the fabric (mainly elasticity of different materials), the most effective I found was to gather the head end as normal, and make a W fold at the foot end...then on the side AWAY from where your feet go, roll the V (of the W) before gathering the whole thing and whipping.

That took up some extra flappy material and made me pop right into the diagonal. Sometimes, dimensions and elasticity created a calf ridge...other times it made the hammock more comfortable.
    Subtle. and very interesting. I had not realized that the W was not not just a folded or pleated end before gathering. Your pic at http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html makes that clear.*

You note that the effect / benefit on pocket and central ridge tunnel AKA "calf-pressure" depends on the fabric. I wonder if that dependency is why the answer to the next question is likely no,.

Is this pinning-as-though-tailoring incorporated in any commercial design?

*In my campaign against 20K frames of video, requiring 10 minutes to watch, I'll reiterate that your single "stop-frame" pic also shows the unbalanced and asymmetric trailing-away to one side that you associate above with natural foot pocket formation for one diagonal.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Is this pinning-as-though-tailoring incorporated in any commercial design?
    The fabric in the bundle of the HHs is folded, more than gathered. Of the commercial models out there that I've taken apart, the HH was the only one that I noticed anything obvious about. There are probably more, but I'm not one to disassemble without cause.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I know Hennesey folds. Geometrically that is hardly different than bunching, but neater. What Just Jeff shows, is half the pleats trailing away. That slightly and differentially alters the length of the hammock. That's what I meant by "pinning-as though-tailoring." Ignoring thickness of fabric, the folding on the bias simulates what would be achieved by shaping the end channel end, without permanently altering the basic rectangle of fabric.

Following Just Jeff's finding of what worked for him with one-sided fabric:
    He could give that hammock to someone who slept "lefty", and still have it work. He would shift the foot box by untying the whipping, drooping the other side of the W folds, and then re-tying.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 10-19-2012 at 21:53. Reason: re- pharsing

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    LostInSpace, I am skeptical but intrigued and hopeful. If you want more testers, I am in New Hampshire and I'm retired with lots of time on my hands.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast