Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP: Would you re-post here, for those who give evidence of suspicion that you are new to canvas design and construction, a link to your video showing how you have been making gathered end hammocks?

That's not to say you may not be the second coming of Rube Goldberg and the new hammock one of his inventions.........

I'm with WV: Keen in interest, even if I haven't posted a deposit for a soon-to-be-priceless first-off-the-bench bearing the maker's mark.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by logrus View Post
    I hope this doesn't come across as negative, but isn't this really just a bridge hammock where you're not taking advantage of lowering the head end? You're lying parallel with the direction of hammock, and from the pictures you can clearly already see the suspension bridge effect. I would even say that this hammock currently is inferior to a bridge hammock as its lay is less flat because of the curving at the head end, and also it's missing it's spreader bars which will induce squeeze.

Am I simply seeing it wrong?
    I'm thinking that I can do away with spreader bars by installing pull outs at the foot end. Either string pull outs or you can cut a stick to prop between the two pull out loops to hold it further apart.
    Also: I think that I may end up doing the head side the same way. I do enjoy the fact that you can toss and turn in it. And I already have a cut in mind for the sides. Welp, 10PM and I just got out of the shop so I am off to the dream world. Will post more pics this weekend. I hope.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    OP: Would you re-post here, for those who give evidence of suspicion that you are new to canvas design and construction, a link to your video showing how you have been making gathered end hammocks?

That's not to say you may not be the second coming of Rube Goldberg and the new hammock one of his inventions.........

I'm with WV: Keen in interest, even if I haven't posted a deposit for a soon-to-be-priceless first-off-the-bench bearing the maker's mark.
    Thanks Demo! But I don't think those videos exist anymore. I have a habit of deleting videos from my puter pretty quickly. It's one of those personal weird things...Like a twitch
    Have a good one!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace View Post
    I'm thinking that I can do away with spreader bars by installing pull outs at the foot end. Either string pull outs or you can cut a stick to prop between the two pull out loops to hold it further apart.
    Also: I think that I may end up doing the head side the same way. I do enjoy the fact that you can toss and turn in it. And I already have a cut in mind for the sides. Welp, 10PM and I just got out of the shop so I am off to the dream world. Will post more pics this weekend. I hope.
    My related experiences w.r.t. this design
    • tried a bridge hammock without spreader bars. That would be the equivalent more or less to designing the head end the same way as the foot end. With the suspension being carried on the sides, and nothing to spread the sides apart, the top edges of the hammock close together as the sides come together at the tree. Significant "squeeze" and very hard to get out of.
    • Built a dual mode bridge hammock that could hang either as a bridge hammock or as a gathered end hammock. It was possible in that to have a spreader bar at the head, none at the foot, and have the suspension at the foot be carried by the side webbing, not the gathered end. The foot end behaves as your design is aiming for with the foot end---it works and it comfortable. I didn't ever try hanging the head end by the gathered end and have the foot end "lifted" by the side suspension---that's the closest to your design I could try to get with that hammock. Will give that a try sometime.
    • I tried long and hard to do a bridge hammock without spreader bars by pulling the corners out and staking them down. The compression force the cord and stakes have to counter is considerable---it takes hefty stakes at a minimum and good ground to drive them in. It is complicated by the length of the cord from corner to stake decreasing when you get into the hammock, which means you need to either tighten the pull-out cords while in the hammock (HARD!), or over-tighten them before you get in. To get spreads in the area of over 30" I needed to use mechanical advantage (like a trucker's hitch) to pull the corners far enough apart to simulate spreader bars.

YMMV and the only real way you get a working sense for this stuff is to do what you are doing----try it out and see. I'm interested to learn about what you learn with your own design.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Somehow I can visualize seeing your treking poles coming into play with this design. Possibly some type of pocket or loops in the corners. It seems like you really don't need a wide distance for your separation, but you'll have to admit that do need something to separate it.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    My related experiences w.r.t. this design
    • tried a bridge hammock without spreader bars. That would be the equivalent more or less to designing the head end the same way as the foot end. With the suspension being carried on the sides, and nothing to spread the sides apart, the top edges of the hammock close together as the sides come together at the tree. Significant "squeeze" and very hard to get out of.
    • Built a dual mode bridge hammock that could hang either as a bridge hammock or as a gathered end hammock. It was possible in that to have a spreader bar at the head, none at the foot, and have the suspension at the foot be carried by the side webbing, not the gathered end. The foot end behaves as your design is aiming for with the foot end---it works and it comfortable. I didn't ever try hanging the head end by the gathered end and have the foot end "lifted" by the side suspension---that's the closest to your design I could try to get with that hammock. Will give that a try sometime.
    • I tried long and hard to do a bridge hammock without spreader bars by pulling the corners out and staking them down. The compression force the cord and stakes have to counter is considerable---it takes hefty stakes at a minimum and good ground to drive them in. It is complicated by the length of the cord from corner to stake decreasing when you get into the hammock, which means you need to either tighten the pull-out cords while in the hammock (HARD!), or over-tighten them before you get in. To get spreads in the area of over 30" I needed to use mechanical advantage (like a trucker's hitch) to pull the corners far enough apart to simulate spreader bars.

YMMV and the only real way you get a working sense for this stuff is to do what you are doing----try it out and see. I'm interested to learn about what you learn with your own design.
    I was just thinking about the gathered front end and bridge foot end as a possible solution to his design.. Not sure how much force would be on that spreader bar in that design but since you only need one you could double them up? I don't sew so this one is beyond me.. but its an interesting idea.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Just blue skyin' here, but wouldn't the shoulder squeeze problem be at least partially solved if the design were left with the gather on one end, but sleep with the head at what we're now looking at as the foot end? From the pic on Pg 6, it apears to be spread OK.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harstad View Post
    I guessing a senterlined footbox and headbox. Possibly by a stretchy material.
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace;
    And YOU! Would be very close.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace View Post
    Also: I think that I may end up doing the head side the same way. I do enjoy the fact that you can toss and turn in it.
    It seems like I'm good at guessing When is the next lottery round?
    Now you only have to incorporate the stretchy material

What if you make it an four point attachment hammock instead of two point attachement? Where the left/right foot side goes to the left/right side of a tree. If the tree has a 30 cm diameter it gives you 30 cm anti-squeeze for free

Harstad
    Last edited by Harstad; 06-20-2012 at 04:27.
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

I wanna see what is going to happen with this thread!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    depends
    Insulation
    diy
    Suspension
    diy&bling
    My mind is still waiting.. Whats the status?

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast