Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Postscript to previous test:
    Decided to try the Garda/rings experiment using a HH Scout that I have, which uses larger suspension lines than the ULBP. The Scout lines are between 3/16" and 1/4" in diameter and are noticeably stiffer than the 1/8"+ ULBP Spectra lines.

The first thing I noticed is that the larger lines have, for want of a better word, more "bite" on the rings. There seemed to be much less tendency to slip. You still have to feed the line through the rings with two hands to minimize friction but when stopped off with a half-hitch, it seemed more secure.

Based on this, I would amend my previous conclusion and recommend that the Garda hitch not be used with the thin Spectra line on the ULBP. It could be that the smaller line, with less surface contact area on the rings, simply doesn't offer enough resistance to pullout. A shame, since it is so easy to use. I could replace the Spectra with larger line but that adds weight and defeats the purpose of UL.

I guess the rings will now go with the Scout rig and I'll stick with Tom's lashing on carabiners for the ULBP.

Thanks for the comment, Trekkingnut. If anyone else is familiar with the laws of physics governing this situation, please let us know your thoughts, too.
    have you ever looked at the video on large tree problems??? you could use the rings in that manner for your ul.... it doesnt matter what thickness of rope you have with that setup because it doesnt bite onto anything... just a quicker method of adjustment...

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Std w/caribiners
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    have you ever looked at the video on large tree problems??? you could use the rings in that manner for your ul.... it doesnt matter what thickness of rope you have with that setup because it doesnt bite onto anything... just a quicker method of adjustment...
    Good idea, Trekkingnut. I can do the Hennessy lash in about the same amount of time as the ring lash, but adjustments will be much faster. Thanks.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Good idea, Trekkingnut. I can do the Hennessy lash in about the same amount of time as the ring lash, but adjustments will be much faster. Thanks.
    no problems, happy to help! thanks for road testing the ul! will know what to say when i get asked next time!

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Std w/caribiners
    Trekkingnut, your single ring (fat tree) solution works fine with the thin Spectra on the ULBA. Good call!

It is still necessary to relieve tension on the line when making adjustments just to minimize friction. And I still have to use two half hitches to prevent any line twisting at the lashing on the ring, although there was no slippage.

Over time there will be wear on the surface of the line sheathing to some degree, but that's the price of having adjustability. The only way to avoid friction completely is to use Tom's lashing and you then lose the quick adjustability.

I hope this little exchange is helpful to other ULBA operators. Thanks again.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Trekkingnut, your single ring (fat tree) solution works fine with the thin Spectra on the ULBA. Good call!

It is still necessary to relieve tension on the line when making adjustments just to minimize friction. And I still have to use two half hitches to prevent any line twisting at the lashing on the ring, although there was no slippage.

Over time there will be wear on the surface of the line sheathing to some degree, but that's the price of having adjustability. The only way to avoid friction completely is to use Tom's lashing and you then lose the quick adjustability.

I hope this little exchange is helpful to other ULBA operators. Thanks again.
    well im glad it works! at least it wasnt a waste of money buying the rings then eh! you need to relieve tension on the line even with the regular model otherwise it just wont move.

it is a compromise indeed. i am yet to decide whether or not to use the garda hitch on my next expedition. if it broke i would be mega pissed off. haha.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Std w/caribiners

Workable ULBA adjustable setup with Spectra

Using Trekkingnut's suggestion of adapting his "fat tree" suspension setup, I continued to experiment and came up with a workable solution that doesn't seem to beat up the very thin Spectra line on the ULBA like the Garda Hitch did. Photos are attached for reference.

I first do two wraps of the Spectra around an SMC descending ring and slide the ring out of the way. I used one extra wrap because it distributes the load over more surface area of the thin Spectra line but still allows you to slide it easily when tension is released.

I then run the line through a carabiner attached to the tree hugger strap and return the line to the SMC ring.

Rather than lash the line to the ring, as shown in Trekkingnut's video, I found that a Slipped Buntline Hitch is quicker, holds the load nicely and doesn't seem to lock up. A brisk tug exploded it every time after being under load and it held with no slippage. A look elsewhere on the HF site indicated that this knot is recommended for the Warbonnet suspension, so it has a working history.

Depending on the distance between trees, you will have to position the SMC ring on the line to give you adequate room to make adjustments. I found the best way was to slide the ring down to the end of the hammock when packing up. When you next set up, pull the line through the carabiner to roughly the height you want, slide the ring up to within a few inches of the carabiner and tie off the ring with the Slipped Buntline Hitch.

This has been backyard tested but not field tested with a full night of tossing and turning in the hammock, so be cautious. It does seem to work better with the thin Hennessy Spectra lines than the Garda Hitch and still gives you the ability to adjust the suspension quickly with little effort.

I would still opt for the Garda Hitch if using heavier suspension lines such as on the Explorer or Scout because of its ease of use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Using Trekkingnut's suggestion of adapting his "fat tree" suspension setup, I continued to experiment and came up with a workable solution that doesn't seem to beat up the very thin Spectra line on the ULBA like the Garda Hitch did. Photos are attached for reference.

I first do two wraps of the Spectra around an SMC descending ring and slide the ring out of the way. I used one extra wrap because it distributes the load over more surface area of the thin Spectra line but still allows you to slide it easily when tension is released.

I then run the line through a carabiner attached to the tree hugger strap and return the line to the SMC ring.

Rather than lash the line to the ring, as shown in Trekkingnut's video, I found that a Slipped Buntline Hitch is quicker, holds the load nicely and doesn't seem to lock up. A brisk tug exploded it every time after being under load and it held with no slippage. A look elsewhere on the HF site indicated that this knot is recommended for the Warbonnet suspension, so it has a working history.

Depending on the distance between trees, you will have to position the SMC ring on the line to give you adequate room to make adjustments. I found the best way was to slide the ring down to the end of the hammock when packing up. When you next set up, pull the line through the carabiner to roughly the height you want, slide the ring up to within a few inches of the carabiner and tie off the ring with the Slipped Buntline Hitch.

This has been backyard tested but not field tested with a full night of tossing and turning in the hammock, so be cautious. It does seem to work better with the thin Hennessy Spectra lines than the Garda Hitch and still gives you the ability to adjust the suspension quickly with little effort.

I would still opt for the Garda Hitch if using heavier suspension lines such as on the Explorer or Scout because of its ease of use.
    nicely done mate! thanks for the addition! we will find the ultimate hh set up together!

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Std w/caribiners
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    nicely done mate! thanks for the addition! we will find the ultimate hh set up together!
    I actually think the ultimate solution would be to use the honored British expeditionary tradition of having ones batman erect the thing while you cool off with a gin and tonic and watch the sunset. Thanks for your great ideas!

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    I actually think the ultimate solution would be to use the honored British expeditionary tradition of having ones batman erect the thing while you cool off with a gin and tonic and watch the sunset. Thanks for your great ideas!
    sorry to inform you, but batamen are no longer found in the british army. they phased it out in the 70's apart from super high ranking people. was quite disapointed that i had to clean my own boots when i joined up. hehe.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

Converting HH Stock Suspension Cord To Amsteel Blue Whoopiesling

Many thanks to Ken for the making of this video!

Last edited by mtncmpr; 08-11-2010 at 21:06. Reason: Title change/Wording in sentence
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast