WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Looks good CR. My only question is do you have any problems with getting your suspension short enough for trees that are close together. The continuous loops as well as the fixed eye buries on the whoopies looked like they could prevent you from getting short enough for certain hanging locations. May not be an issue depending on where you usually hang so I was just wondering. Thanks for the video.
    Not to speak for CR, but part of what I like about whoopies being built into chainlinks is that you can "bypass" the whoopie altogether and loop the chainlink directly to the MSH.

This makes your "shortest possible hang" the length of your hammock + a couple inches for your chainlinks compared to the length of your hammock + 2 feet or so for your whoopies.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Looks good CR. My only question is do you have any problems with getting your suspension short enough for trees that are close together. The continuous loops as well as the fixed eye buries on the whoopies looked like they could prevent you from getting short enough for certain hanging locations. May not be an issue depending on where you usually hang so I was just wondering. Thanks for the video.
    I am still working stuff out on the Whoopies. So far I they are working out. The distance between the posts in the building is around 12 1/2 feet. I think the longer whoopies will shine when the trees are big. I should still be able to have the weight on the tree straps and use the whoopies to make up the distance. I am still deciding on whether to use slightly longer tree straps and shorter whoopies or just shorter whoopies. The tails were pretty long on this distance. I should have looped them up out of the way. The whoopies are will not go short enough for the BIAS hammock, so I am planning to make a different set for it.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Happy Camper, hope we can meet at one of the hangs this year.
    Great video, CR! And thanks to Bear Chaser, my 25 oz. 1.1 single layer Blackbird with webbing is down to 17.7 oz with whoopies. Yours is at 16 oz and I think Bear Chaser's is under a pound.

I think he said he had it around 14 or so ounces! His set up is real nice. He was using a teeny tarp at the Sods hang, but it looked like everything was dry.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Here's a "fancier" link with a preview:

Looks good!!!
    Hey, thanks much for the nice link! It does look way better.

Koffar: The weight saving was only about 1/4 ounce, but it did add to the total.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. After getting a year of experience under my belt, it is nice to be able to contribute some useful information and give back to everyone here.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Not to speak for CR, but part of what I like about whoopies being built into chainlinks is that you can "bypass" the whoopie altogether and loop the chainlink directly to the MSH.

This makes your "shortest possible hang" the length of your hammock + a couple inches for your chainlinks compared to the length of your hammock + 2 feet or so for your whoopies.
    I just meant a shorter continuous loop could be used and the bury of the fixed loop could be shorter. That way there would be a pretty short minimum length when using the whoopies and even shorter minimum length when the chainlinks are used as you described above.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    This is great Country Roads, appreciate you posting it, thanks for the mention also. I have mine down between 13 & 14 oz. at the moment, I believe I can go slightly lower now after seeing your video.

My setup now - BB 1.1 Single with Dynaglide Chain links of about 8" give or take for suspension connection to Whoopie Hooks, Dynaglide whoopies also. I'm using the 1.75mm Lash-it for a ridge line and shortened pieces of ZPack's 80lb utility cord for the wing tie outs. I use something very similar to quilt hooks threaded onto the utility cord, it gets hooked onto some 1/16 shock cord with a tiny cord lock then staked out.

We talked about the zipper pulls at DS. After discussing it with Happy Camper we had a concern of the string loop slipping out of the zipper head. Has this been a problem or happened at all. I was thinking I could just crimp the little latch down against the zipper head so this would not happen.

What I plan on modifying - Zipper pulls and my shock cord tie out system making it similar to your setup. Right now I have a long piece of the 1/16 shock cord setup very similar to the stock setup, but. That shock cord is .048 oz / yard, 80lb utility cord is .021 oz / yard. If I use a short hank of the shock cord tied directly to the utility cord and reverse my quilt hooks like you have I could eliminate the tiny cord lock also (0.02 ounces / .57 grams each).

One note about the utility cord, it is Polyester. So it will stretch if it gets wet, which is not a problem when used for the wing tie outs. Plus you just unhook them from the hammock when packing up, keeps wet shock cord and tie outs away from the hammock.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Wow! A 13/14 oz Blackbird! That's a hammock with zipper bugnet, footbox, and large pocket wing. All the comforts I want at a light weight. Add a cuben tarp . . . And I may want to marry it!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12