Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River

JRB Mt Washington UQ or other options

I know it isn't officially released yet, but I was curious to see peoples opinion on this underquilt. I am new to hammocking and am trying to decide how warm of a underquilt I will need. I am a cold sleeper but most of my camping is done at nighttime tempretures of 20* or warmer, and never below zero.

For now I have a Speer SPE with a few models of pads from back when I used a tent as my primary shelter

3/4 Thermarest Zlite
    3/4 Thermarest Prolite 3
    Exped DAM 7

I have a ENO Singlenest with a MacCat Deluxe

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You'll probably be hard pressed to find anyone's opinion on the quilt, in that no one here on the forums (that I know of) has tried one yet or even seen one except for the pics on the website.. Most of JRB under quilts, like the Nest or No Sniveler, will take you down to about 30* or so and you could extend that range with clothing or a pad.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I tried one at Trail Days, but it was attached to the Bridge hammock. I was more concerned about the feel of the Bridge than the quilt. It IS a very nice quilt, can't imagine it wouldn't perform well. I do think this quilt will take you to lower temps than the other JRB quilts; more down and a better fit against the hammock bottom.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

1st night using the Mt. Washington

Used the Mt Washington(MWUQ) last night. Temps were forecast to drop down to upper 30's to mid 40's. Not sure if it was combination of elevation and south facing ridge, but temps where I hung only bottomed out at ~50F. So not a good test for the MWUQ.

Under these conditions in a HH ULBP with the JRB WeatherShield, tarpless (dry RH, beautiful star filled night) and using the Nest as a quilt I overheated while wearing one layer of light Polartech Powerdry. I woke a bit chilled needing to pull the Nest over me completely only to pull it off in my sleep.

Set up was a breeze. Using the supplied JRB tensioning system I just hooked things together, pulled the chords tight and went to sleep. Intentionally didn't mess around "fine tuning" the setup. Either got lucky and it was set up fine or unlike the Nest no need for fine tuning.

If you plan to use it as a bag/quilt sewing some Velcro/OmniTape/zipper will be required.

Sure hope the Jack's intend to incorporate the differential design in their warmer weather quilts. With the more efficient lofting a lighter version of Nest (sub 16oz?) would be a nice complement to the MWUQ
    Last edited by koaloha05; 09-04-2008 at 17:05.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Finally a sub 0C night!

Crystal clear, dry air and no wind night. Perfect night to go tarpless and hope to view some Northern Lights. Not sure how cold it actually dropped down to. Overslept until the Ravens woke me. It was ~8am and the temp was -3.5C. Was comfortable using the Mt Washington as an under quilt along with a WeatherShield2 on the WB Blackbird. Top quilt was the JRB Nest. Clothing was a wool knit nordic ski hat, silk weight baselayer and an old PolarFleece 100 weight pullover, real light weight wool socks. I'm a cold sleeper. Outside of my feet feeling initially a bit excessively warm I felt fine. This morning there was a coating of ice on side upper edges for a few inches and along the foot end for several inches. This was my 1st experience hanging below freezing. Is vapor condensing as ice on the outer surface of an under quilt normal? I'm assuming a part of the situation was due to the WS2 being cinched down tight. No real big problem. A quick shake to remove the ice. Then hang the quilt in the sun.

No Aurora Borealis. Did have an unexpected visitor during last nights test hang. 1st time I've ever had a badger walk under me. So far, this season chipmunks, raccoons and a badger have walked under the hammock. Not looking forward to skunk, cougar or bear.
    Noel V.

Images
    i've had ice on my sleeping bag shell before

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i've had ice on my sleeping bag shell before
    Same here.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Me too! I slept out two nights ago with new weathershield and had just the slightest bit of moisture it the foot of my top bag.. Nothing to worry about.
    Your set up sounds ideal.......
    Looking forward to my Blackbird!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts