Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Welcome to the forums from PA. +1 on the Ultimate Hang book and Shug's videos on YT.

I like your choice in hobbies (I always wanted to get a 4 piece fly rod for backpacking). With 2 teenage kids and my hobby time suffers. Thank goodness my son is in the scouts and I get to go on all the trips as assistant scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from the other side of the state.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can use a sleeping bag like a quilt in a hammock...so the zipper on hammock issue won't be too much of a concern.
    Stoves....so many. Look into a canister stove like a JetBoil or Snowpeak Gigapower. Great to get started out if you have no stove experience. Alcohol stoves are well liked on here but there are lots of choices and they are not for everyone. They seem to perplex some folks.
    Stay patient and enjoy the journey.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Tajue17
    thanks for the vids,, youtube is awesome! I went through some of my gear and realized I have one fo those tiny jet stoves that folds up to the size of a pack of cigarettes but you need to carry the small can of fuel. and i also have a mess kit that it packs in so I'm pretty good there.

I just need to be sure whatever sleeping bag I buy matches the hammock, I also think the most important question is when I do buy a sleeping bag should I get somethign with a temp rating for more than what I'm actually going to be sleeping in because I'll be hanging in the air... if I'm going out and the lows will be 45 degrees and the highs may be 70 should i just go with a 40 degree bag??

as for flyfishing,, theres a brandnew type of fishing thats been around for a thousand years in Japan called "Tenkara Fishing" basically long graphite fly rods that collapse into its own body and weighs ounces and is perfect for backpaking,,, no reels to break and ad weight just a furled leader thats 2 or 3' longer than the rod (9' rod and 13' leader) and this set up is used for creeks and in close fishing and is addictive with the hikers (asking about tenkara rods is how I heard about hammock camping)

also, I'll be watching the vids and looking for that book thank you.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Before you go out and purchase a sleeping bag, my recommendation would be to look into an under quilt and top quilt combo; most folks find them more comfortable and easier to use than a sleeping bag/pad combo in an hammock. There are multiple cottage vendors out there that make both.

As to temperature ratings, my rule of thumb is to carry 10 degrees F more insulation than the forecast calls for. That way, I can stay warm even if the weatherman is wrong. Learned that one the hard way at the 2nd Annual FL Hang this past January; the weather called for low-thirties but actual temps were in the low-twenties.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    Hey there from Oklahoma! I'm an owner of a Hennessey Exped. I choose to go with it for a couple of reasons. 1) Comes with attached bugnet (highly recommend the zip option rather than bottom entry) 2) Comes with tarp (also recommend going with the upgrade to the larger hex tarp vs the stock tarp) 3) Fairly cost effective for those just getting into the joys of life in the trees. That being said... there are alot of great options out there and if I had my druthers I probably would have ended up with the Warbonnet Blackbird. I just did not realize the amount of options out there. Also you should check out the for sale section here. In regards to the water purification we have a Steripen. Its small, takes only 60-90sec to treat the water and is effective against just about any microbe. You do need to prefilter cloudy, dirty water before treating the water but that is easy to take care of with either the purchase of an optional prefilter or homemade prefilter. I made a homemade prefilter using a vacuseal bag with some holes punched in it made to fit #4 coffee filters. Our test run was some dirty water we collected in a creek bed at my parents property. Hope this helps.

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Howdy Ted! You aren't far from me. And I'm learning this as well. I'm New to the hanging camping, but have spent a lot of time on the ground in the woods. There's a ton of knowledgable people here, and I'm sure you will get the answers you are seeking.

I'd agree with Shug about the canister stoves. I love my Jetboil.

Hammock
    eno double nest
    Tarp
    JRB spinnaker
    Insulation
    JRB tq /uq
    Suspension
    ucr or ws
    welcome to hf.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Well, a short list:

What you need:

A way to keep the weather off while you sleep (tarp, hammock, and insulation)...

I'm new to this hobby as well and had a question regarding insulation. I've read a lot of comments that this is necessary because of the underside being exposed, but it seems like a lot of these people hang at all times of year in all types of weather. If one is to only hang in warm weather is the insulation necessary or would the sleeping bag be good enough to keep one warm?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast