The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I was lucky that when I was searching for some straps, I believe it was a few reviews on Moosejaw's website that informed me that the slapstraps would stretch like rubber. I ended up getting myself some NRS loop straps because I've been using them for rafting for years and trusted them to support me overnight. A few hangs later I have been left one happy hanger.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    Brown Walmart 6x8
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Climbing rope
    Like some others, I bought the slap straps and then joined HF and read the reviews. I returned the straps today unopened. Thanks so much for the advice. I'll do some more research or make my own system. BIG +1 to HF!!!
    Last edited by Gilwell Fox; 07-19-2012 at 20:54.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I am missing something. My daughter and I purchased two Double Nests, Slap Straps.

My daughters boyfriend uses my hammock and Slap Straps, he is a big guy over 200 pounds, closer to 310 or 320. He uses my Slap Straps without any problem. Are some of the older straps reliable? I think our hammocks were very old stock, we bought twi double nests for $18.00 each USD. The Slap Straps were $8.00USD we have been using them or 6 or 7 years now for packing trips, not naps in the back yard.
    The equipment was new with tags. We bought them in a sporting goods shop on the Oregon Coast, they had lots of both Single Nests and Double Nests, we had our choice of colors.
    I can not understand why everyone else is having problems with their straps stretching, unless, maybe they started out with decent straps, and switched to a cheaper material. Interesting anyway, we just went for a four day hang, everything worked great inspite of the rain. Wondering why, everyone elses stretch.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I am missing something. My daughter and I purchased two Double Nests, Slap Straps.

My daughters boyfriend uses my hammock and Slap Straps, he is a big guy over 200 pounds, closer to 310 or 320. He uses my Slap Straps without any problem. Are some of the older straps reliable? I think our hammocks were very old stock, we bought twi double nests for $18.00 each USD. The Slap Straps were $8.00USD we have been using them or 6 or 7 years now for packing trips, not naps in the back yard.
    The equipment was new with tags. We bought them in a sporting goods shop on the Oregon Coast, they had lots of both Single Nests and Double Nests, we had our choice of colors.
    I can not understand why everyone else is having problems with their straps stretching, unless, maybe they started out with decent straps, and switched to a cheaper material. Interesting anyway, we just went for a four day hang, everything worked great inspite of the rain. Wondering why, everyone elses stretch.
    Depends if they were made with nylon. That's what stretches

Hammock
    Eno Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    New River
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I purchased a DN and slap straps a few weeks ago. (First Hammock) I did not know about the slap straps but the do stretch. I can see it when my 9 year (about 90 pounds of muclde) lays in it. I switched to using some old straps I used to use to repel with. I think I am going to order him some whoopie slings. I have considered hetting some myself but I am still reading up on all this. I am a big guy (270 lbs) so I don't want to buy something if it will not hold me.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    JasonS, get some poly straps. The Kammok Python straps are great & the ENO Atlas straps look good too.

If you can't take the Slap Straps back (REI's great for this!), then you can 'pre-stretch' the straps. The other thing is, the more strap length in use, the more stretch. For instance, if you only have 1' coming off each end, because the trees are so close, then you won't have much strap to stretch. If you have 8' on each end, then hang the hammock up so that it's straight across the spread, then hang across the hammock for a couple of minutes. The straps will stretch. Re-set the loops up higher, then hang out for a while longer, again re-setting up higher. You can take out a couple of feet of stretch this way. Just remember that the line will shrink back later.

I made the mistake of putting two slap straps together one time at the loops. The stretch really synched down on the loops. When I took the hammock down, they contracted. It took me over an hour to work the loops free again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123