DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Bike camping with hammock

Last summer I built up a Yeti ARC bike planning to use it for bike camping. I built it pretty light knowing I would be adding a lot of weight with the racks and gear: Easton carbon bar, Thomson seat post and stem, Mavic Crosstrail tubeless wheels, SRAM Carbon derailleur, etc. It's a great bike and can climb anything.

I bought a Freeload rack for the back and a Revelate Designs handlebar bag with added pocket for the front.

I call her Joan of ARC.

On Friday I tried camping with it for the first time. I slimmed my gear down to what I thought was just the essentials:
    Blackbird hammock
    Homemade Cat tarp
    Arrowhead designs New River UQ
    Jetboil stove with coffee press
    SOL Escape Bivy blanket
    Two backpacking meals from Packit Gourmet
    Black Diamond Headlamp
    1 box matches
    Slim roll of TP
    Titanium coffee cup
    6 stakes
    Coffee
    Titanium spoon and fork

I strapped the UQ to the handlebar. The three straps on the Revelate pack held it tightly in place. The pocket wraps around the UQ and helps hold it. I put my tie out stakes, the matches and coffee in the pocket.

My bike also has a Topeak seat bag and the coffee cup just fit here.

In a small dry bag, I put the hammock, tarp, Jetboil, and the bivy sack (my top quilt). I rolled up the dry sack and clipped it together around the seat post, a perfect fit. Then I lashed it to the Freeload rack using some bungie cords with large plastic knobs on the end. The bag never moved while riding.

I also wore a Camelback Hawg with 100 ml of water, the Packit meals and a shirt and lightweight running shorts to change into. Glad I included these as bike jersey and biking shorts (Endura Humvee) aren't too comfy off the bike.

Things I wish I had brought? My sandals so I could lose the bike shoes, and my copy of Hemingway's Nick Adams stories with always goes with me on hikes. Otherwise, I had all that I needed. This was a test ride to see if I could actually get up the rugged trail with the extra gear.

I decided to ride on the Berryman Trail, a 25-mile loop located between Steelville and Potosi, Mo. I got to the trailhead just as the sun was setting. It took about 5 minutes to get the bike ready and this included changing shoes. I passed a couple of possible sights and then settled on one that was alongside one of many dry creeks about 2 miles down the trail.

This was also the first night for me in my son's Blackbird. I got both of my boys WB hammocks for Christmas but had yet to use one myself. Also the UQ had just arrived and had never been hung. Everything went up super easy though I didn't get the ridge line tight, trees were just a little too close together.

I struggled to get a fire started, not sure why, it's been super dry in Missouri but the leaves seemed to have soaked up all the humidity. I had two matches left when I succeeded.

That gave me just enough light to get supper cooked, Packit's Trailside Burrito. That's when I discovered that "Bring your own bread" meant the tortilla wasn't included. No worries, I just ate it straight from the package.

Guessed i turned in around 10 pm with the fire doing its thing, real cozy. The Bob White's where tuning up when I heard voices. Turned out to be 25 or 30 Boy Scouts wearing red helmet lights. The trail made a turn where I was camping so I could see them coming and going, very strange sight!

I slept well until sometime in the wee hours I woke up to the weirdest sound. Only way I can describe it is being similar to the sound you get when you smack a metal fence post and the barb wire twangs. Some kind of bird I guess, thought the aliens had landed.

Th next day I made scrambled eggs with ham, packed up and rode maybe 7 miles to see how it felt. I had no trouble even on the rugged sections. The added weight seemed to help the bike handle the curves. Hills were not an issue.

Next time I plan a much longer ride on the Ozark Trail. I may even set up a base camp and do a couple days of riding in between. I didn't weigh the gear, but Im guessing less than 20 pounds. Would need more food but this set up would get me just about any wear, provided I included my water filter. I also need a waterproof bag for the UQ.

Good times!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Thanks for sharing! I love bike packing with my hmmock set up. It really opens up what is possible for me. The amount of ground I can cover is phenomenal too.

S

Hammock
    Warbonnet(s)
    Tarp
    situational
    Insulation
    Love+down+IX
    Suspension
    Straps
    Looks like a great trip. Bicycles and hammocks go well together. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    I"m jealous. That looks like it was a lot of fun.

Bike weight

Nice bike....what does it weigh by itself without racks?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Looking good!

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Looks like a fun trip. I'm going to ride some of the Ouachita's.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    CFI, I weighed her right after building at 23 pounds. Can't remember if that was with the racks or not. Wish I had weighed again with the gear on but it got pretty late. I got the hard tail so I could mount a rear rack, found out later that Freeload racks will work on full suspension too. I may add Freeload's side rails and a pair of small panniers, that would get the weight down lower.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for sharing! I'm hoping to get in some bike camping soon as well. When time allows and i get a few more supplies. I take my ENO double with me now about every time I'm out on the bike. You never know when and where you'll want to hang to relax and watch the scenery.

Hammock
    WBBB & WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    unsponsored/Incuba
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies

Last winter's Hammock ride in Mid Wales.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast